No Varnius Junius

popvirus2

I know the subject of "The Man Who Cried Wolf" not starting has been beat to death, but most of the time it is just him standing there not starting his talk about the strange noises...

I also know the subject of Varnius not being in the Blue Palace has also been discussed because I have read the few comments (less than 10)...

So now, I ask the question....since this bug/glitch or whatever you want to call it has been around for many years (first mention of subjects was back in 2011/2012 as far as I can tell thru internet searches and searches on Nexus) has anyone found an absolute fix for this quest?...

I am at my wits end trying to figure this out...my issue is no Varnius in the Blue Palace...I have tried moving him to me after getting his numbers thru the console and using moveto player...yup he shows up and immediately turns around and heads back home...

Could this be because something somewhere along the line interferes with his movements?

I bet I have read over 200 pages of conversation/comments about this bug/glitch but nothing but a few answers that all involve using console commands to either start or advance the quest.

However, if there is no Varnius, what good will it do to use setstage ms06start 5 when he is not there...I have tried setting stage 15 and the quest "widow too soon" starts but when I talk to Falk, he is clueless...

I am going to try and use setstage ms06start 250 to see if I can simply skip this quest by telling the game it is complete and hope this does not interfere with any other quest that depend on this...

by the way, this is my first time visiting solitude this play through and I have a reason to be there because of the Dragonborn quest line....on my way to see Malborn…but went straight to the palace and bypassed talking to anyone until I got there...

I anyone has a definitive answer to this issue, please let me know...

pops

OK...I may be talking to myself here since no one has responded to this...

but...I went into SSEdit and did a little looking...just loaded entire load order in SSEdit and then checked for conflicts with Skyrim.esm….

What I found after looking in the NPC list of Skyrim.esm was his sleep and sandbox package was modified by USSEP (or at least that is what I deduce)...lines 1 & 2 are what is shown under the Skyrim.esm column, while lines 3 & 4 were added under the USSEP.esp. I have tried to show how it appears in SSEdit.

Skyrim.esm USSEP.esp

DefaultSleepEditorLoc24x8 [PACK:0001B210]

DefaultSandboxEditorLocation512 [PACK:0001B217]

USKPVarniusJuniusSleep24x8 [PACK:05006CAB]

USKPVarniusJuniusDefaultSandbox [PACK:05006CAC]

Can/Will someone please help me understand this...

could this be the cause of JV not leaving Dragonbridge?

any help/insight would be deeply appreciated,

V/R,

pops

OK...last post on this subject.

First off let me say, I am not trashing anybody's work or mod, I am simply saying what my problem was, a few of the results, what I did and how I approached the problem...I have endorsed all mods that I mention in the following so I have no animosity towards anyone..

As you can see from the above post, I have been into SSedit and have finally solved my No Varnius Junius in the Blue Palace.

It took a lot of time and understanding of the information that was presented by running SSEdit's "apply filter to show conflicts" on my whole load order...then I looked at the Quests and NPCs in skyrim.esm to determine conflict/overwrites...specifically MS06Start and Varnius Junius.

I then removed any mod I had installed that touched the Quest MS06Start, VJ, Dragonbridge (specifically the four shields tavern/inn), and the Blue Palace...

What I was looking for was anything that could have had an impact on the behavior of VJ, be it AI changes or changes to the cells he shows up in....

After several hours of deliberation and these old eyes scanning the conflicts (and/or overwrites), I decided to remove all that touched these items. It takes me a good 20 hours of gameplay to get to the Blue Palace the way I play...I have Flower Girls installed and need to make a lot of side stops along the way to Solitude..

The list was too numerous for me to remember and I made the mistake of not writing the mods down that I uninstalled.

I lost a lot of mods I normally use because of dependency on other mods....

I will list a few mods I removed ...

One that sticks out in my head was the Immersive High Hrothgar Elevator...lots of various conflict winners with this one...and I was surprised it touched as many areas as it did...anyway....it was uninstalled.

Immersive Wenches was removed because I saw a snippet about it interfering with MS06Start....could be because it adds wenches to the Blue Palace and if I am not mistaken, it adds a gal standing exactly where VJ is supposed to be...probably not the cause but I removed it anyway.

AddItemMenu was removed because of conflicts and also UIExtensions was removed because it is a requirement for AddItemMenu.

And last but not least and the most impact on my load order was USSEP...SSedit showed conflicts with MS06Start, and VJ. I had a conversation with the USSEP authors about these conflicts (over on the USSEP mod page)...which they said the changes they made was to prevent VJ from walking back and forth every day...but that it should not have any impact on JVs movement.

So after about 30 hours of work and research in SSedit and a complete restart including refreshed game files, and all that encompasses (SKSE, ini changes, etc) I started a new game....

played it kind of slow to begin with in anticipation of VJ not being in Solitude for the fourth straight start...Irritation occurs when for the fourth straight start, there is no VJ …almost to the point of simply quitting Skyrim SE and going back to Fallout 4 (it also has issues I have to work through, especially the extremely slow loading time)....but I had rather play SSE.

I have finally achieved success and as soon as I peeked up the stairs in the Blue Palace on this new game....guess what...I hear VJ starting to talk about the strange noises coming from wolf skull came....yippeeee....

My load order is down to 205 plugins from 242....and a lot of the mods I love were removed...for instance Scoped Bows was removed because of its dependency on USSEP...I have endorsed and used Immersive Wenches many playthroughs but removed the mod because of the impact it has on the Blue Palace...

Anyway, what I recommend is if you have a problem with VJ either not showing up in the Blue Palace or him showing up and just Standing there, the best advice I could give you is to do exactly what I did...go to work in SSEdit and eliminate your conflicts....

If one person reads this and can use this information in eliminating this (game breaking IMO) error, I will be satisfied...

I wish I had thought of doing this in the first place instead of bothering the mod authors....they have a lot on their plates and I appreciate their efforts and skill.

V/R,

Pops

• 2 months later...

I was having this problem on PS4. Narrowed it down to the Vindrel Hall Redux Mod. I went through and disabled each mod 1 by 1 that I have, until I got the scene to start. Then, I turned all of the mods back on, except the one that was disabled that finally jump started everything. Sure enough, it loaded again once I reloaded the save. Vindrel Hall Redux was the culprit.

• 2 years later...

do you have immersive wenches installed? if so uninstall or unclick it in your load order to see if that fixes it.....it has been a long time since i have had this issue but i seem to remember that the changes IW makes to the Blue Palace is the cause for this bug/glitch

Well crap, I really don't want to start a new game. I guess I'll just keep looking for a fix without restarting. But thanks for the i