Pixel compression on bc7 alphas

nightscrawl

Damn I was hoping there was something I could do to "fix" it. That idea seems to go against the current popular wisdom of saving all (new) normals as BC7. When does a normal need an alpha? I tend to go by whatever the default image has, but I don't know if that's an accurate guide.

I know your work though, and that you have far more experience than I, so thanks for the response!

A bit late. Well, popular wisdom isn't always 100% correct, it isn't really incorrect either. For most normal maps there will be a significant improvement in saving new normals in bc7 since artifacts in the normal are generally very noticiable. But if the normal map has a lot of information, for example, if you have some sort of very small cloth pattern where practically every pixel is significantly different from its neighbors. I imagine this is your case, lots of variation in the leaves. BC7 preserves that detail in the normal map way better than dxt5 but the alpha channel is worse. I guess in attempting to keep that information in RGB channels better than DXT5 the alpha channel suffers. Both formats end up weighting the same so I suppose there has to be some sort of tradeoff, makes sense. In most cases I'd still use BC7 because DXT5 will destroy the detail in the normal map. If both formats are not good for a particular texture then uncompressed is always an option, albeit a costly one.

Normal map's alpha is the specular channel in all assets I have experience with, and they will all have it. In enviromental textures or creatures it might be different. Following vanilla is a good method I'd say.

Edited by FrankFamily

So, to not spread misinformation I figured I could actually test this in the most objective manner I could think of. Here, pretty self explanatory:

Â

Note this behaviour may only apply to the particulary noisy areas of a texture.

Â

2e8q4aot1ybq1eczg.jpg

Edited by FrankFamily