Graphics Card Issues

ariinya

I'm having a problem with my game randomly crashing and getting this error:

DirectX Error
DirectX function "Dx11Renderer::tryMap" failed with
DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED ("The video card has been physically removed from the system, or a driver upgrade for the video card has ocurred."). GPU: "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590", Driver 37878. This error is usually caused by the graphics driver crashing; try installing the latest drivers. Also, make sure you have a supported graphics card with at least 512MB.

I know I have the latest drivers. I'm wondering if my graphics card is out of date? I've been considering buying a new one lately (expensive as they are), especially the NVIDIA ones. So if there's any way I can avoid that, I'd really like to. If not, is there a less expensive option than the GeForce?

@ariinya; "GeForce" is nVidia's name for its consumer/gamer (vs. "professional" graphic designer/video editor) series of GPUs. So it's already their "lower-cost" option. If price really is the primary consideration you should look at AMD's "R-series" cards.

The RX-570 w/4GB VRAM is going for about US$150 on Newegg right now. That would be a considerable improvement over your current one. But you probably wouldn't be happy with it for the *next* generation of games, (e.g. Anthem, DA4, etc.) So as always for gamers my advice is, "Get the best card you can afford." :thumbsup:

No, I really wouldn't be happy with that... I saw a 6gb one that was about $250 or so, but it was sold out, which is why I was looking into the Radeon. And I must say, those are ALL significantly cheaper. Unless you're just freakin' nuts and go for some crazy option. xD

I'm looking for something between 6-8gb, and... well, I don't really know what the other important options are. ^_^;; Like "Graphics Clock", "Processor Clock", "Memory Data Rate", etc. I know a store in town that can put the graphics card in for me (because I would be like a toddler trying to do surgery if I tried to install it myself. Literally. I might just throw a temper, start crying, and slap at the insides of the computer while hoping everything fell into place), but I need to know which card I should invest in first. And really, this is all Greek to me. >_>

Thanks again Thandal, and welcome back! I hope your visit with your granddaughters went well! Did you pinch their cute lil chubby cheeks?! Or they too old for that? Or you do that anyway? xD

Edit: This is the card I was looking at for the GeForce. I was wondering if there might be a Radeon that is comparable to this one?

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1060/

@ariinya; Yes, they're still young enough (4 and 2). But no, I didn't pinch cheeks. Just tickles.

The AMD RX-580 is the closest to the nVidia GTX-1060 (which is the card I have atm.) But be warned that it uses quite a bit more power (as do all the AMD cards at each performance point.) So be sure you're power supply can deliver what's needed and that your case has good (heat) ventilation.

Amazon and Newegg have the RX-580 for under US$200. I would recommend the MSI one only because of their included "Afterburner" utility software.

I can't get anything TOO expensive, but I was looking ONLY on the NVidia site. The prices here are quite a bit different.

What card would you get, if you were shopping for one to replace an older one? The one you currently have? Something slightly better? I just got my 1000 Watt Power Supply replaced, so I think I'm good on power, but it sounds as though the GeForce is more efficient, so I'll stick with one of those if I can.

Edit: Honestly, the different cards confuse me. Some of them have one fan, some have two, I just don't understand the difference and which one is better... I just want a relatively GOOD graphics card that will play this damn game without crashing on me, but also something that won't break the bank!!!

Also... adorable! Tickles are always good. (>^_^)>

I was looking at one, only because it had the most reviews. Since I know nothing about computer hardware... well, that's why I'm asking YOU so many questions. ^_^;

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0ZX6BA5812&Description=geforce%20gtx%201060%206gb&cm_re=geforce_gtx_1060_6gb-_-14-127-963-_-Product

@ariinya; I have the ASUS version of that card. No particular reason I chose that brand except the one I replaced was also an ASUS and it had served me well. (Plus, it was on sale at the time.) The "one big fan vs. two smaller fans vs. even more fans" aspect is simply engineers at different companies trying different things. Some of it is just marketing and some of it may be functional. More fans *might* mean better air flow, so that *might* mean better cooling. (And it could also mean more noise...) Without real diagnostic testing results it's mostly just a fanboi debate topic anyway.

I think you'd be very happy with a GTX 1060/6GB. It should allow most games to run at "High" or "Ultra" settings. Not cutting edge, (barely makes the min. specs. for VR work) but not cutting-edge price either. If you're looking in the US$300-range, that MSI one is a solid pick.

But if I were buying a new GPU for myself right now, I'd look at the nVidia RTX 2060 for around US$375. Here's a very recent summary from PC Gamer:

Gamers barely had time to catch their collective breath after the cryptocurrency market tanked before Nvidia launched its GeForce RTX series, which in turn presented a conundrum—pay a premium for one of the newest and best graphics cards on the market, or save some money and invest in 'old' technology. For many, the answer was simple.

Nvidia would later lament that RTX card sales had not met expectations, due to a combination of price and a lack of games supporting RTX's staple features (real-time ray tracing and Deep Learning Super Sampling). But then came along the GeForce RTX 2060, making the path to RTX more affordable. You might now be wondering, should you buy a GeForce RTX 2060, or save a few bucks and buy a previous generation GeForce GTX 1070.

The answer is not a straightforward one. Part of the decision comes to whether you want the newest technology and are willing to pay a bit extra for it, even if support is limited at the moment. It's a fair question since the difference in price between a GeForce GTX 1070 and GeForce RTX 2060 is around $20-$50, whereas previously you would be looking at spending several hundred dollars extra for an RTX card.

[Lots of details follow. Then...]

Bottom line: as we said in our review of the GeForce GTX 2060, it's the best upper midrange card (or lower high-end card) that we've seen since the GeForce GTX 1070 Ti. It makes sense to spend the little bit extra (over the GeForce GTX 1070) for the added speed, and treat the additional (ray tracing, DLSS) features as a bonus.