Vortex wont scan for my games on my pc

MERCHANNIBAL

this continually confuses so many people - why not make it significantly easier and only show the games you've got that vortex can manage?

i get you want to advertise vortex functionality - but this is not at all clear and adds fuel to the continual fire of the ui being somewhat more busy than it should be.

Agreed.

Instead of making the Games that aren't installed "Black and White", with the installed ones in COLOR, amongst a sea of 88 or so other games, just make the ones that aren't installed Hidden.

I imagine it's got to be a bit difficult for Color Blind people

We simply can't rely on Vortex detecting all installed games.

A very common case is that users manually move their game from one disk to another. Some games will update their registry keys, most don't. If the game hasn't been installed through one of the supported online stores (steam and epic atm) and the user hasn't done a full scan or hasn't configured the full scan to search all drives (e.g. we have users who put their games on NAS drives which will not be searched by default) the game won't be discovered while still being installed.

Another common case is where people have the game on removable drives (external disks) and that disk is simply not connected atm.

If Vortex were to hide the not-discovered completely we would just get a different kind of problem: "why doesn't Vortex show my game? The website says it's supported" or "could you add support for game xyz"?

Personally I was against making the distinction entirely. I wanted to show all games in the list - discovered or not - without visible distinction. You want to manage the game? You just click the manage button. If Vortex knows where it is, fine. If not, you pick the directory manually. The list is too long? There is a search bar for that.

I'm also considering removing the full disk scan entirely and remove the option to manually trigger the quick scan. Make the entire discovery thing hidden.

We simply can't rely on Vortex detecting all installed games.

A very common case is that users manually move their game from one disk to another. Some games will update their registry keys, most don't. If the game hasn't been installed through one of the supported online stores (steam and epic atm) and the user hasn't done a full scan or hasn't configured the full scan to search all drives (e.g. we have users who put their games on NAS drives which will not be searched by default) the game won't be discovered while still being installed.

Another common case is where people have the game on removable drives (external disks) and that disk is simply not connected atm.

If Vortex were to hide the not-discovered completely we would just get a different kind of problem: "why doesn't Vortex show my game? The website says it's supported" or "could you add support for game xyz"?

Personally I was against making the distinction entirely. I wanted to show all games in the list - discovered or not - without visible distinction. You want to manage the game? You just click the manage button. If Vortex knows where it is, fine. If not, you pick the directory manually. The list is too long? There is a search bar for that.

I'm also considering removing the full disk scan entirely and remove the option to manually trigger the quick scan. Make the entire discovery thing hidden.

Is it possible to make the Black and White effect more extreme?

So its far more obvious

We can make it pink and white...

The question is: Why? What is the use case where the user needs to see whether the game is discovered?

Either you want to manage the game or you don't, users won't go "Oh, I've found this great mod for game x, lets inst ... oh, Vortex hasn't discovered it but it discovered y, guess I'll play y instead".

I find it silly that people are spending hours, creating forum posts asking for help, to set up the full disk search correctly instead of just clicking on the button and then selecting the game directory manually.

I can't think of any scenario where knowing whether the game was discovered is actually useful.

I must admit I wondered how I suddenly got all those games - until I read the small print then having them in B&W made some kind of sense; unfortunately Skyrim and SkyrimSE are almost in B&W anyway - it was only when Oblivion was added that I could truly see the difference and the reasoning became 'obvious'. It is one of those things that once you understand the reason it sounds reasonable.

It's a very difficult question though - the B&W solution makes sense as would a greyed out effect but so much depends on how people have their screens set up that it could be meaningless... I think the 'unmanaged' term might be the issue because it unfortunately implies that the user 'owns' those games and isn't managing them. I sympathise with having them all slosh about together as 'supported' and the user then selects which they want to mod (manage). But I bet the same kind of confusion would abound with that solution too.

It might be easier to change how that area conveys what it means via semantics rather than anything else... The trouble is, the focus group will be used to it...

I must admit I wondered how I suddenly got all those games - until I read the small print then having them in B&W made some kind of sense; unfortunately Skyrim and SkyrimSE are almost in B&W anyway - it was only when Oblivion was added that I could truly see the difference and the reasoning became 'obvious'. It is one of those things that once you understand the reason it sounds reasonable.

It's a very difficult question though - the B&W solution makes sense as would a greyed out effect but so much depends on how people have their screens set up that it could be meaningless... I think the 'unmanaged' term might be the issue because it unfortunately implies that the user 'owns' those games and isn't managing them. I sympathise with having them all slosh about together as 'supported' and the user then selects which they want to mod (manage). But I bet the same kind of confusion would abound with that solution too.

It might be easier to change how that area conveys what it means via semantics rather than anything else... The trouble is, the focus group will be used to it...

I use the built in search box on that screen

I use the built in search box on that screen

Yes - people who are used to systems find solutions that suit them! And sometimes very novel ones :laugh:

The trouble with any system is that the user has an image - a map, a model of how it works - and it may be incorrect. But what is likely to make them challenge that model is when things aren't working as they want or thought they should; and sadly that's not always when they have brain switched into a receptive and logical mode... so they can come to very erroneous conclusions.

I've got the same issue as the OP. When I start to scan for my fresh installation of oldrim, the progress bar starts to move. Then it just resets itself like it's been cancelled.

After you did that, did you look through the UNMANAGED Games and see if Oblivion shows up in color?

Because it's possible it did the search, and just reset

• 6 months later...