Skyrim horse flying on load bug

saunastaja

So I have downloaded quite a few mods, but after downloading the quality map mod I saved my game on horseback and when I loaded the game, my horse starts flying and sliding around with my character on it. I removed the mod, but it still keeps happening.

I've heard that there's a fix for it because the physics supposedly start to freak out when the FPS goes over 60, but I have no Skyrim.ini file, only Skyrim.ini.base and Skyrim.ini.baked. Now I'm too scared to put the lines mentioned in the fix to either of those files because there's no guide on these two .ini files.. it might break my game further for all I know.

I haven't found any fix for this aside from just not saving on horseback, but it is tedious. The moment I forget and save on horseback my poor khajiit is in for one hell of a ride again. Anyone know of a fix?

Edited by saunastaja

That fix probably won't work anyway (those things are usually snake oil), but if you haven't turned off Windows hiding file extensions, then the Skyrim.ini will just appear as a file called "Skyrim". The .base and .baked files are used by Vortex, by the way, and it's good you didn't edit them, because they're not meant to be changed.

Unfortunately this is a vanilla bug (it's even present on the Nintendo Switch version), and the only way I know of to avoid it is to get off your horse before saving. I did notice that it doesn't always do it - if you try to load the save a couple of times it might not do it every time.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to necro this thread.But have you found any viable fix yet?Its happening to me too and i don't have any mod installed.Just the USSEP.Game and graphics card driver

I think your only choice is to reload your save, until it doesn't happen, or, go back to an earlier save.

• 1 year later...