Clearly I Am An Idiot

Deleted47182198User

Hello my fellow modders and Skyrim players (who are most definitely smarter than me),

I come bearing a question about a bug in my game that I have been unable to fix. I've had it for at least a year now, and absolutely nothing I've done has ever fixed it. Before you ask, yes, of course I have USLEEP (at this point, who doesn't?) and yes, I've scoured the internets for help with my problem, but not only have I been unable to fix it, I've seen hardly anyone else having this same problem.

So I come to you all in the hopes that you might know what's going on.

Okay. Long story short. About nine or so months ago (don't ask why I waited this long to get help, because I have absolutely no idea) I was playing the civil war questline. I always join the Imperials (go ahead, judge, yell at me, tell me I'm wrong - but Ulfric is an ungrateful bastard and totally awful towards non-Nords, so there it is) but for some reason, for the last couple of playthroughs I get to quest "Defense of Whiterun" and after all of the Stormcloaks come in to fight, after the percentage meter gets around 50%, they just suddenly...stop coming. The battle music still plays, the NPCs (Imperial Legion soldiers, Hadvar, Legate Rikke) act as if the fight's still happening, but there are no more Stormcloaks to fight.

Which, basically, just means that the civil war questline can no longer progress and is stuck. Definitely frustrating, and so far seems to be unfixable as well.

I also don't believe it to be a mod conflict, because I've played Skyrim absent any mods after resetting it to vanilla, so I have no idea why mods would be causing the issue if they happened during a purely vanilla playthrough.

For now, I've been using plunket's beautiful, glorious mod "Civil War Neutrality" (which I highly recommend you to check out, it's awesome, and provides a great way to avoid the civil war questline altogether if you don't want to play it) and it seems to be working fine, but I have to admit after so many playthroughs I miss being able to finish the civil war quests, and, now, I come to you smart people to hopefully help me find a solution.

Or, if no solution, maybe just an explanation.

Never heard of this bug myself, nor does the wiki say anything about it. To clarify, are you running any mods on this playthrough?

Have you tried running into the field past the stables where the Stormcloaks spawn?

If all else fails, you can use the console command setstage CWSiegeObj 9000 to skip the quest.

Once i had a bug in my game. My ingame console missed several signs. My solution ended with delete the Skyrim.exe and verify the files on steam. A new Skyrim.exe was installed on my pc.

I needed to clean the masterfiles again but the bug was gone. Maybe it is a bug in your exe, then maybe this could be the way to do it for you to.

Good luck.