How do you edit or change the default underwear in Creation Kit?

Deleted839543User

There seems to be very little information on this, and stumbling around blindly pulling apart other mods hasn't really helped much. I'm relatively new to the Creation Kit itself, but most of it is pretty self-explanatory.

So, we have an actor, let's use Lydia (HousecarlWhiterun) as an example. She has her usual steel armor set as her default outfit. Let's say I turn her into a full fledged mage and give her a nice robe. The default underwear, bulky and ugly as it is, is now visible underneath. There's obviously a way of changing this, either through the settings for that specific character or the Nord race as a whole. Plenty of mods have performed similar feats, but for the life of me I can't seem to trace the default underwear back to its roots, wherever that may be.

Any chance someone can lay it out straight for me?

Edited by Guest

Makes more sense now, but that does raise another question. What about armors which expose more of the body than usual? Let me give you an example. I have the UNP body installed with the underwear included (nonude). I also have Art of Magicka which includes skirts and robes which are open to one side. Despite having underwear on the base figure, the robes display the model without any (though thankfully, underwear also comes as a separate equip). Can I assume that the visible areas are also part of the robe? If so, how do you match the skin textures for the player?

Just trying to get to grips with how everything is pieced together at the moment, since I'm still new to this. There's not very many good tutorials on the Creation Kit. It covers what each option does, sure, but very few provide information on how all the pieces fit together. It also confused me that some characters don't seem to have this apply to them, so I'll assume they're using a different base mesh. I'll have a thorough check through my existing mods with that in mind.

Stock armor utilizes "body bits" for exposed areas rather than a full body mesh underneath. Many mod armors use a full nude body underneath and make sure the necessary bits are covered and hopefully do not clip through. In any event, the body portions used in the armor also utilize the same texture set and / or files as the normal unarmored and unclothed body.

If you want to replace the nude / underwear body of an individual NPC without changing the entire race, you can assign a completely different armor record as the skin on the actor record. Please see my Custom Player Body mod and / or the random Dark Brotherhood assassins from the base game.

However, it sounds as if your issue might be with the robe itself. For that you'll need to open the NIF file and replace the body portions as necessary. This could be anything from a simple swap in NifSkope to an outright rebuild of the mesh in Blender or other 3D program. Neither of which fall into my "wheelhouse of expertise".

In a nutshell, if the armor in question uses slot 32 it will replace the main body. Thus it is totally possible to have a mod provided nude / underwear body and an armor that shows portions of the stock underwear. The only way to avoid this without digging into the meshes would be to use a mod which recolors the stock underwear rather than replacing the mesh. In which case you are back having bulking undies for all. But the underwear bits visible on any armor / clothing should also reflect the texture change.