Anyone Still Install Mods Manually?

Trogdor0112

Where my boys at? Ya know those guys like me that when they first started modding elder scrolls games way back in the early days of morrowind when they were 6 years old, didn't know what they were doing and modding using a mod manager was much more of a niche than it is now. The guys that learned to install their mods the old fashioned way? Holla at me.

I do.

Well, I use NMM, but some stuff for testing i install manually, and can remove manually as long as any dirs/files are known.

LoL I just read your post. Fully. Man, I used mods and modded in Morrowind when I got into it 2 years late (at 44 years, not 6 lol), never released anything, but had my modded player home that WAS someone else's mod but i moved the location and made it my own, etc. Personal use of course. And toward the end before I got on into Oblivion, I had a bunch of modders resource balloons flying over the river south of Balmora lol.. I sure ain't no badass modder but I'm still trying..

You should post this in the Skyrim SE forums for TES man! Otherwise, I totally am on the same page with you.

c0ax599

On Point: First time I used a Mod Manager was OBMM. :wink: Oblivion Mod Manager. Trying to think of one for Morrowind. Nope.

Edited by c0ax599

The funny thing with me is I played and finished Oblivion first but I modded Morrowind first, I can't remember why as I know really Oblivion over Morrowind - I still do even now, fight me but I also appreciate MW just as much as OB these days. You'd think as a horny 15 year old back then I'd be attracted by OB's fledgling adult mod community, though that's not to say MW didn't have it's share those as both Wolflore.net and LL communities started with MW.

The way I modded back was just a mess XD. I just dl and install whatever I fancied, something not even checking if any of the mods I was running conflicted or not. I was also one of those idiot noobs who kept asking for advice in the forums and mod page comments sections on stuff cluelessly broke XD.

Damn I miss Planet Elder Scrolls and Elric Melnibone's Archive.

I always install manually. I took a look at using NMM a few years ago and I just didn't see any point to it. I'm sure it's improved a lot since then but I still have no need or desire to use it. Manual install for Bethesda games has never been easier - no more archive invalidation and most mods all wrapped up nice and neat in BSAs unless I unpack them.

The funny thing is that back in the day we could have used a mod manager as some mods were complicated to install, but now modding has never been easier and yet everyone has convinced themselves they need a mod manager to install mods.

It makes me wonder about the future because I'm pretty sure that if mod managers had been a thing when I first got into modding I would have used them, and if I had used them then I don't think I would have learned how to make mods. It's when I first peeked under the hood that the brain started to think about things. So I wonder how many potential future mod makers will never make mods because they don't take that first step.

Unless the mod is packed in a fomod or another of the ways to cheat the mod limitation, 255, I install manually.

Started out doing it manually. Good habits die hard. Easier isn't always better.

255 mod limit on Skyrim.

The fomod or other packing methods make it possible to add more! MORE MODS! MORE!!! mWah Ah ha ha haa.

I used to install SSE mods manually when it first came out there simply wasn't any mod manager that could handle it my ancient copy of NMM certainly can't its got a heavy load of mods on it and theres no way I would risk trying to update it and break everything.

When Vortex came out of alpha I switched to that as it seems to be stable enough and I've finally got enough confidence in it to trust it.

That being said I always bundled up loose files into BSA's when I was doing it manually there no way I could keep track of countless loose file overrides thats what a mad manager is ideal at.