CBBE Vanilla Conversions?

evendel

What does everyone use for CBBE as far as outfits? As far as I can tell while using Bodyslide the CBBE body comes with meshes that are basically fitted to the body itself. The most basic vanilla outfits seem ok, but it gets kinda horrifying if you look at the Dawnguard DLC stuff. So far the only full conversion I'm seeing on Nexus is https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/13274 from luquitacx and while it does look better there are open seams on some outfits. I haven't built those outfits and actually looked at them in game, but I can only assume that a hole in Bodyslide is going to look like a hole in game. Otherwise I'm left with two (?) skimpy/bikini style armor replacers and I wasn't really looking for that. I'll be honest, I'm fairly blown away by contrast with TBD and the apparently full conversion they bundled with their body. In Bodyslide there weren't angular boob plates for Dawnguard armors. So what does everyone use? Does everyone just download custom armors and ignore the NPC's that still have vanilla outfits?

i personally use Spice Gear Collection and Minidresses, Both mods by Tiwa44, for my vanilla replacer needs. very skimpy though (although they dont make your character/npc look like hookers, which perfect, its literally sexy armor replacer without being slutty, which is perfect), but i find them outfits adorable, especially the mini dresses. in the end of the day if you are going to download 8k skin textures, amazing sexy muscle abs for your character, why hide all of that with outfits that completely covers the entire body, showing absolutely no skin, which essentially nullifies the amazing skin textures you have, and also means you are using a lot more vram for nothing thus wasting it (me justfying the reason i chose the skimpy outfits xD). however i do also have many mods that also give my character full outfits, so its a balance between skimpy and fully clothed.

skyrim is a fantasy afterall and fantasy has a very broad meaning. its ok to run around half naked in skyrim, because it is a fantasy, meaning it is completely unreal. for realism i use fallout 4, where my characters actually where outfits the cover the entire body.

but with that said, i am one of those people (that always opt for maximum quality), and must have way more armor and clothings mods then they could ever use. but i also play my games in a very specific way. basically every 10 levels my character will use a new modded outfit, this justifies downloading an excessive amount of clothing and armor mods, plus i will be running around with like 6 or so followers, simply to keep the game interesting.

I suppose I might be outta luck without diving deep into making my own armors...I'm somewhere between Nisetanaka's Bikini Armors style and Spice Gear. For example, I really like the Imperial Heavy, Blades, and Nordic Carved tops from Spice Gear, but I'd prefer more than a tiny bikini bottom or a mini-miniskirt on the bottom. Gimme knee high boots and an almost knee length armor skirt with some tassets! Or even just appropriately armored leather leggings with boots over top or something. On the other hand I kind of like the Daedric being basically a one piece with thigh highs. So I don't know...I guess I'll just tough it with vanilla for now. But thanks for the suggestions!

you might be interested in Killer Keos Armor vanilla replacer (it is still skimpy, but for the most part not as skimpy as Spice Gear)

you can get it here: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/15943

but yea most of the good replacers are of the skimpy nature (which i personally like, but can completely understand it will not be for everyone, especially if you dont use ultra hd body textures and play as a female character, with many female followers, who are all using them glorious textures, which is what really benefits from skimpy outfits.).

with that said, i do run a lot of armor mods, which generally are given to most npcs in the game, so you dont see the vanilla gear all that much, that would be the absolute best option, heres 2 strongly recommended mods, for complete diversity

Immersive Armours - (very good armor mod that adds many new armours to the game, almost all of em are not revealing at all, being ideal for SFW. very lore friendly as well and are generally found on npc)

The Book of UUNP - (adds almost 400 varients for every single armor and clothing in the game in total - (adds many varients to said gear totaling to 400 varients), granting a lot of diversity for the vanilla gear)

Note: their are CBBE Conversions for Book of UUNP which i happen to be using myself, i highly recommed this mod, its not a replacer though, but the varients are given to npc and can be crafted, they are incorporated seamlessly, they are however somewhat skimpy depending on the varient, but their is another mod the makes them non skimpy so it may be worth looking into if you are interested.

both of these mods will add an aweful lot of diversity in the game

Well it looks like I'll be doing some testing of things, then. I was encouraged to dig through the SSE Nexus after randomly stumbling on this https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/17843?tab=description and I think with a glance at Keo's work and some careful building of only the armors that are most appealing to me (rather than batch building everything) I'll get the best result. Again, thank you so much for your suggestions!

::EDIT:: So I'm wondering....as far as Bodyslide is concerned, if I can figure out how to pull the bodyslide files from these mods would that work as a replacer? As I'm trying to install them all via Vortex I'm realizing that they're all basically replacer-type mods and not exclusively Bodyslide files. So I'm guessing that once Vortex sorts out who gets loaded after whom I'll wind up only being able to see the files from the "top" mod on my load order. We'll see what happens I suppose.

Edited by evendel

theoretically yes, but it is the modified mesh files that you will want, as when you Batch Build or manual build it replaces the mesh file(s) of the mod in question (you would need to know the location of them mesh files), you would then create a new esp in the creation kit, and assign each vanilla outfit to use the new mesh files that bodyslide created. (take note of the location of the modified mesh when you click on build in Bodyslide, as it tells you file structure of the mesh files in question, you will need this information later, if you wish to use these as a replacer)

the location of your vanilla replacer would not really matter that much, unless you have another mod that also acts as a vanilla replacer, as long as your mod is below skyrim's master files (which it will be regardless), you will be alright, as it is them that your mod is going to override and thus must be placed lower in the load order then the master files (which will always be at the very top).

with that said, if you are intending on using a modded outfit from a mod as a vanilla armor replacer, you will either need to directly edit that mod and do what i mentioned above, or you can use that mod as a master file, which will allow you to use the content in that mod in your ESP, without tampering with the mod. in order to do this you would need to turn that mod into a master file, ESM or you can use Wrye Bash, to turn the mod into a master by changing the flag, so the mod will remain as an ESP but will also be Classed as a Master File. and then proceed with what i mentioned above.

so here is a quick tutorial in how to replace vanilla gear with modded gear: Open Creation Kit - Locate the Mod you wish to use as a Replacer - Click on Set Active, then click on OK - wait for it to load, then locate Items - Locate Armor Addon and click on it - now search for the armor you wish to replace, for this example we will use Steel Boots - search for SteelBoots01AA - double click on it - on the Armor Addon Window you have Biped Model for both Male and Female, go ahead and click on Select Button for the Female - now you will be able to see what the boots look like, Click on EDIT - then locate the modded boots you wish to replace the mesh with, you will want to browse to here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\meshes

then once you found them - click on the _1 file (this is for body weight 100%) or _0 (this is for body weight 0) <-- these entirely depend on what bodyweight you have set for your character, the npc(s) will typically use 50 bodyweight so _0 is the one you will want to use.

then simply click on OK - and save the esp, now whenever you encounter these boots, it will now use the new model of the modded gear you selected :wink:

Note: if you push cancel without selecting anything, this will remove the model, so you will either have to find something, or simply dont save the mod to restore them.

I may have discovered a moderately tedious workaround that doesn't require my own ESP. I'll want to be sure I have my load order correct I suppose, but I think that I can build the armors I want from each mod and it will override the vanilla mesh with whichever armor I built in Bodyslide. Then, since I built the mesh for let's say Iron armor from Remodeled Armors and the mesh for Imperial Heavy armor from Keo's mod they won't conflict because I didn't try to build two different meshes. It makes sense in my head and what little I've tested in my game, but it sounds weird typing it. An untested example, I think I could build the Dwarven Armor from Keo's mod, and the boots and helmet from Girl's Heavy Armors, and then the gauntlets from Remodeled Armor and because I haven't tried to do multiple meshes of the same item it should all work. Whether or not it clips with each other is a different story of course. Am I just crazy or could this work?

not with bodyslide, as it only replaces the meshes in each mod's respective folders, meaning all you will be doing is replacing each mod rather then vanilla - (granted this could also work, but it would require you to manually go to each folder and copy the respective mesh files and paste them into skyrim's vanilla armor folders) <-- this will be the longest method

however a quicker method is using Outfit Studio, as you load each mod (in outfit studio), you export the Nif files into the vanilla folders of the vanilla armor you wish to replace with parts of the mods.

you will need to know the exact folder structure of the vanilla armors, you would then create the folders (since skyrim itself does not have any loose files) to match the exact file path for the vanilla armors, and then export each part of the mods you wish to use in the same folder as vanilla. the game will then notice these, and replace its own armors with the loose files (which will be the modded gear)

either way both methods will take the same length of time, loose files override packed files, which is why it could potentially work. doing it this way means you will not be required to make an ESP file, unless you wish to create a Bsa Archive. but likewise if you dont like the result you will need to manually delete all mesh files in the vanilla folders you created.

where as doing my method above, in order to restore everything back to default would be a simple matter of deleting/disabling the ESP file. my method is much quicker in the long run, and is guaranteed to work. your method could also work but it takes more time to achieve the same goal.

but with that said, using multiple different meshes from each mod may cause some clipping as you mentioned, trial and error will be required.

so basically you have 3 methods, each will take some time:

My Method (ESP) = Quickest Method and Guaranteed to work, and reverting changes will be extremely quick (as all you need to do is either delete or disable the ESP).

Bodyslide = Slowest Method, will require copying and pasting mesh files from each individual mods folders into the created vanilla folders, reverting changes will require you to delete either the vanilla folders, or each mesh file you copied into them

Outfit Studio = Quicker Method then Bodyslide, and does not require an ESP, but still a slower method then my method.