Is Vortex a needlessly more confusing than NMM or it's just me?

Narfiam

I'm going to start saying that I've been using NMM for years (since 2012-2013).

I always download mods from Nexus using the NMM, and the manual downloads for mods without the manager download option by drop and draging the compressed files into the NMM too.

OK, I haven't played Skyrim for a year, yesterday I installed it and downloaded Vortex. I started to download several mods as I always did with NMM but with Vortex, so far so good. But when I started to install mods I got very confused by the conflict and redundanct terms of the messages in the upper right corner of the interface when a mod/patch/translation have the same files of a mod installed before. I've had enough and eventually I have uninstalled Skyrim, fed up.

Why the devs don't added the "Yes to all" option for overwrite when installing a mod with overwriting files? It was simple and worked, better than that confusing weird thing with checkboxes.

And also, why putting the not installed and recentily downloades mods and installed mods in different places of the mod manager? It forces you to navigate more. It was better in NMM, all in the same window with a simple check symbol in the installed mods and the ongoing download in a smallbox below.

I see some things pretty pointless.

Edited by Narfiam

honestly, i though the same about vortex, but now im using it and can say its better far than nmm, obviously the download speed cap is a sht but ye its better in all other characteristics

The speed cap has been around long before Vortex was even an idea.

Vortex is not really needlessly complicated it's that NMM is stupid simple. Vortex has several odd design choices but is far from confusing just different and new.

Does it still work with the Manager Download option of the page?

Yes, but you'll probably have to configure it manually to make it work.

Just change which program your computer uses to handle Nexus files. It's rather easy.

I'm going to start saying that I've been using NMM for years (since 2012-2013).

I always download mods from Nexus using the NMM, and the manual downloads for mods without the manager download option by drop and draging the compressed files into the NMM too.

OK, I haven't played Skyrim for a year, yesterday I installed it and downloaded Vortex. I started to download several mods as I always did with NMM but with Vortex, so far so good. But when I started to install mods I got very confused by the conflict and redundanct terms of the messages in the upper right corner of the interface when a mod/patch/translation have the same files of a mod installed before. I've had enough and eventually I have uninstalled Skyrim, fed up.

Why the devs don't added the "Yes to all" option for overwrite when installing a mod with overwriting files? It was simple and worked, better than that confusing weird thing with checkboxes.

And also, why putting the not installed and recentily downloades mods and installed mods in different places of the mod manager? It forces you to navigate more. It was better in NMM, all in the same window with a simple check symbol in the installed mods and the ongoing download in a smallbox below.

I see some things pretty pointless.

You're missing the real powerful point of this feature.

NMM just overwrites files, HARD overwrites, so if you install your mods in the wrong order, you're forced to uninstall all of those mods, and re-install them hopefully in the correct order.

With vortex you can install your mods in ANY order, then once they're installed, you can tell vortex which mod loads Before (Getting overwritten), or Loads After (overwriting) the other mod(s), and then Vortex will automatically restore and overwrite the correct files.

If you find out you put the mods in the wrong order, it's simple to change that Load Before, to a Load After, and Vortex once again restores overwritten files and overwrites the proper ones.

No more having to commit to "YES TO ALL" that Overwrites your files, and if you did it wrong, a subsequent uninstall and reinstall of all those mods.

People believe NMM, to use, is reliable, but that's only because it doesn't actually do anything.

It doesn't notify you of Mod (Texture, Mesh etc) conflicts, it also doesn't allow you to sort them, you're stuck hard overwriting the files, rather than NMM managing the files for you like the Vortex example I gave above.

IF you'd take the time to read the knowledge base (Especially the SETUP part) and watch a couple of the tutorial videos you'd see that the things you think are pointless are actually really powerful.

You only touched the sruface.

Sadly, the website download mod manager button does no longer apply and you will need to manually check for updates, however it is still more dry common sense to use.
Would agree with the initial topic starter argument, despite knowing the benefits Vortex has. Tried to give it a chance and still managing one game with it, but even after learning why it "simplifies" the modding process, its purpose was not to make things more user-friendly but rather fool-proof. Regardless of the aggressive approval of some players online (which often tends to go to insults, as you might be able to notice), the numeric majority of comments I have seen online, claim it hasn't quite managed this.
What I would suggest for those that are dissatisfied with the lack of manual ordering is to just use the NMM plugin tab. It will still recognize all plugins and allow you to move them around. Note, you will need to disable autosorting in Vortex first, else it will rearrange by its LOOT way (which is, oddly enough, not always identical to what standalone LOOT does) every time you start it.

As for overwriting, Vortex fails to explain what loading before/after means and instead relies on video tutorials by a third party listed in a menu, which is not only highly unprofessional but wastes a good chunk of your time. A ten minute video by someone who is doing more to get noticed for views than to get the information through was chosen over hover popups with a single line of text about each option or even a keyword search menu, as the good Microsoft blessed into existence.
But a short variant of it, consider it as layering - whatever you put last is what you will be seeing due to it hiding whatever is below it, but it will depend on whatever is below it as it is carrying its weight.

Perhaps nexusmods will reconsider things in the future and maybe even add a "choose mod manager" option for the Old Reliable. Until then, mix and match.

Just change which program your computer uses to handle Nexus files. It's rather easy.

If this truly works, I apologise for the uneducated misinformation, but thank you for the idea. Brilliant!

Edited by necromunchy