Nexus Mods is hiring for a Front End Developer

Dark0ne

In response to post #68428951.

Merlord wrote: Whoever you hire, can you please tell them to serve resized images for thumbnails/previews instead of loading all the full sized images on every page?

We do serve thumbnails everywhere - can you be more specific on where you're seeing this?

In response to post #68428951. #68515796 is also a reply to the same post.

Merlord wrote: Whoever you hire, can you please tell them to serve resized images for thumbnails/previews instead of loading all the full sized images on every page?
MrMason wrote: We do serve thumbnails everywhere - can you be more specific on where you're seeing this?

I think the problem is that all the JPEGs are encoded with ~99 quality setting which makes them exceptionally large and slows down the image loading. Usually a quality setting of 70-80 is enough, you won't notice a visual difference and it reduces the image size by a great degree.

In response to post #68428951. #68515796, #68516156 are all replies on the same post.

MrMason wrote: We do serve thumbnails everywhere - can you be more specific on where you're seeing this?
dloader wrote: I think the problem is that all the JPEGs are encoded with ~99 quality setting which makes them exceptionally large and slows down the image loading. Usually a quality setting of 70-80 is enough, you won't notice a visual difference and it reduces the image size by a great degree.

@dloader not just that. There are some PNG images (600x337) that are over 100kb (compressed, but still far too large). That could be 3 decently compressed JPGs. Display 100 of them on a page and it all adds up. There are much more efficient ways to be loading & displaying images for quicker page loads, less server load and less resources being used by users browsers.

There is also a fair bit of 'concept code' that was made for prototype purposes that was never replaced. I don't want to sound rude (well, not too rude, though these things have been bugging me for a while and they don't seem to change) - but there is actually a lot of stuff that was never addressed that was supposed to have been sorted pre-launch. There are the new pages (and Vortex, the mother offender) that don't seem to be consistent with the current design in the least - fonts, colours, padding, margins, sizes, broken grids etc. The styling code is still a giant mess (should have been SASS'd). The JS (in various areas) isn't as efficient as it could be and needs addressing. I could go on about it at length, but yes the site definitely has a lot of unresolved issues.

On another note - the best people for the job aren't going to be locals. I know it's a long standing requirement in these posts but you're essentially cutting out the vast majority of people who would be able to handle all of this and maintain it properly. I'm not trying to put my name up in any way shape or form - I don't even do this sort of work anymore - but with the amount of times it has been advertised now it seems like at the very least there's going to be some sort of compromise with candidates who are actually able to meet all of those requirements (including being able to work there locally).

In response to post #68428951. #68515796, #68516156, #68517496 are all replies on the same post.

dloader wrote: I think the problem is that all the JPEGs are encoded with ~99 quality setting which makes them exceptionally large and slows down the image loading. Usually a quality setting of 70-80 is enough, you won't notice a visual difference and it reduces the image size by a great degree.
llihP wrote: @dloader not just that. There are some PNG images (600x337) that are over 100kb (compressed, but still far too large). That could be 3 decently compressed JPGs. Display 100 of them on a page and it all adds up. There are much more efficient ways to be loading & displaying images for quicker page loads, less server load and less resources being used by users browsers.

There is also a fair bit of 'concept code' that was made for prototype purposes that was never replaced. I don't want to sound rude (well, not too rude, though these things have been bugging me for a while and they don't seem to change) - but there is actually a lot of stuff that was never addressed that was supposed to have been sorted pre-launch. There are the new pages (and Vortex, the mother offender) that don't seem to be consistent with the current design in the least - fonts, colours, padding, margins, sizes, broken grids etc. The styling code is still a giant mess (should have been SASS'd). The JS (in various areas) isn't as efficient as it could be and needs addressing. I could go on about it at length, but yes the site definitely has a lot of unresolved issues.

On another note - the best people for the job aren't going to be locals. I know it's a long standing requirement in these posts but you're essentially cutting out the vast majority of people who would be able to handle all of this and maintain it properly. I'm not trying to put my name up in any way shape or form - I don't even do this sort of work anymore - but with the amount of times it has been advertised now it seems like at the very least there's going to be some sort of compromise with candidates who are actually able to meet all of those requirements (including being able to work there locally).

There are lots of problems of course, big problems and small problems.

The biggest problem ( in my opinion at least ) is that a lot of people here seem to value talking over doing. ( Which is actually a little strange for a site about modding if you think about it. ) New staff is required to enjoy "plenty of lighthearted chat" at work. Most Mod authors also obviously favor writing pages upon pages of extensive documentation and spent endless amounts of time on supporting their Mods, rather than investing in the actual creation of content. And the users here also seem to spent more time in forums commenting and discussing unrelated stuff than actually playing the Mods.

The JPEGs lacking compression on the other hand is a rather small problem but fixing it might result in a huge performance boost. So maybe this would make an easy target to get started. Because you know you have to start somewhere to get things done. Just talking about it doesn't do anything. ;-)

In response to post #68428951. #68515796, #68516156, #68517496, #68523211 are all replies on the same post.

llihP wrote: @dloader not just that. There are some PNG images (600x337) that are over 100kb (compressed, but still far too large). That could be 3 decently compressed JPGs. Display 100 of them on a page and it all adds up. There are much more efficient ways to be loading & displaying images for quicker page loads, less server load and less resources being used by users browsers.

dloader wrote: There are lots of problems of course, big problems and small problems.

The biggest problem ( in my opinion at least ) is that a lot of people here seem to value talking over doing. ( Which is actually a little strange for a site about modding if you think about it. ) New staff is required to enjoy "plenty of lighthearted chat" at work. Most Mod authors also obviously favor writing pages upon pages of extensive documentation and spent endless amounts of time on supporting their Mods, rather than investing in the actual creation of content. And the users here also seem to spent more time in forums commenting and discussing unrelated stuff than actually playing the Mods.

The JPEGs lacking compression on the other hand is a rather small problem but fixing it might result in a huge performance boost. So maybe this would make an easy target to get started. Because you know you have to start somewhere to get things done. Just talking about it doesn't do anything. ;-)

@MrMason I loaded up https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind with the network tab open, and some of the "thumbnails" downloaded were as large as 1MB and alone took over 2 seconds to load (I'm on gigabit fibre so it's not a result of my internet quality).

I work in PHP/Laravel, recently moved to ReactJS, Redux + Node.js. I'm from the South East in the UK. Are you taking any on remote positions? I don't have any means to travel to Exeter right now.

I think Dark0ne already answered this in the original position announcement:

• This is a full-time office-based position from our offices in Exeter, UK, to be worked Monday to Friday, 40 hours a week.
  • We will offer a competitive market-rate salary dependent on your level.
  • We will provide high spec hardware for you to work from in the office.
  • For the right candidates, we may be able to assist with relocation expenses and logistics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...