How do I update Vortex?

BiggestMan88

As the titles says: How do I update vortex? Do i just download the .exe file and overwrite my current verion or is there some other way to do it?

And if I do update it, will I then loose all of my mods so that I would have to install them again?

Btw I am using - and still want to use - the custom install location version.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Edited by 2jkkjkk

As the titles says: How do I update vortex? Do i just download the .exe file and overwrite my current verion or is there some other way to do it?

And if I do update it, will I then loose all of my mods so that I would have to install them again?

Btw I am using - and still want to use - the custom install location version.

Thanks in advance :smile:

As long as you installed Vortex to a custom location, the updates will install there too.

The first place I look in every program I use, when I want to change things about the program is under SETTINGS.

Vortex-Updates.jpg

Vortex will update automatically with the settings HadToRegister is showing above.

You may need to restart Vortex to prompt the update.

Updating will not cause you to lose your mods and you will not need to reinstall them. A bit of care is advised when updating from a version that is several versions behind (e.g. from 0.15.1 to 0.17.7). In that event, please read any notifications/messages/prompts carefully as they come up.

Thanks, the both of you!

I must have missed the update tab in the settings, when I was looking for answers in there (i had automatic updates disabled).

I have just updated Vortex to the latest version and it works!

Again thanks for the answers, they were really helpfull! :D

Edited by 2jkkjkk

Thanks, the both of you!

I must have missed the update tab in the settings, when I was looking for answers in there (i had automatic updates disabled).

I have just updated Vortex to the latest version and it works!

Again thanks for the answers, they were really helpfull! :D

Nice!

Have fun!

• 1 month later...

I just used automatic update with Vortex to update it to the latest version about 3 days ago which would've been 5/4/2019. I had it updated to the previous version, so I was only updating by one version. Vortex deleted all my profiles, and I had to reinstall all my mods and recreate new profiles. Is there any way to keep updates from deleting profiles and supported games? I gather from here that it shouldn't have deleted the profiles and managed games, but it did.

I just used automatic update with Vortex to update it to the latest version about 3 days ago which would've been 5/4/2019. I had it updated to the previous version, so I was only updating by one version. Vortex deleted all my profiles, and I had to reinstall all my mods and recreate new profiles. Is there any way to keep updates from deleting profiles and supported games? I gather from here that it shouldn't have deleted the profiles and managed games, but it did.

Could you please send in your vortex log?

It definitely should not be deleting profiles and I am unable to reproduce that.

Your situation is bizarre. You should not be losing profiles. I've been using and updating Vortex for over a year, and I have never lost any profiles and saves because of the update process, whether automatic or manual. I'm currently updated to the testing version 0.18.1.