How do I update Vortex?

BiggestMan88

Okay I'm glad you replied when you did, or I would've made a big mistake. If it doesn't touch the AppData folder then how did that fallout4 profiles folder end up empty after the update. To make matters worse I'm having another problem on top of it. Vortex out of nowhere decided to insist that every single mod is redundant. I haven't a clue why it is saying that when the exact same number of mods activated today hasn't changed from yesterday. It also complained that Master Files were missing. I ended up reinstalling at least 6 or 7 mods out of 151 to put the Master Files back. What is going on with Vortex?

The only thing that has happened since yesterday is the system did a BIOS firmware update on my laptop which should have zip to do with Vortex.

How is it that a Vortex update doesn't affect the AppData folder when Vortex.exe is in there? Remember I said I did a MultiUser install. It's going to somehow allow for separate user accounts to manage it without affecting my user account. To me that makes it obvious why it installed Vortex.exe (along with every other file Vortex uses) in AppData.

Be careful correcting Augusta. I have yet to see her make a mistake - and I owe her one.

On my system, my Skyrim SE profiles are located at:

C:\Users\Robert\AppData\Roaming\Vortex\skyrimse

If you don't see AppData on your system - you just have it hidden.

Oh - and my Vortex.exe is located in:

C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\Vortex

Edited by rmm200

@DigitalTemerity

I'm assuming you mean %USER%\My Documents\My Games\Fallout4.

No. I meant the Vortex folder in AppData. You're looking in the wrong place. You may have to unhide some folders in Windows to find it, as rmm200 has suggested.

Edited by Augusta Calidia

By the way, I looked at the installer page on Nexus and it specifically warns only use Custom install if you know what you are doing. I know what directories I want things to end up in, so I think I know enough, but I'm not making any promises.

And that warning is basically a generic warning that always have to accompany something like Appliances that say "do not use the toaster while taking a shower" kind of warning.

It's there because people were installing Vortex to their Game Directory

Well I didn't install it to my game directory. Somehow It ended up with the install directory being in AppData. I don't know how. I don't know why. It just did. The only way to fix this mess was to do a custom install. Even in doing so it tried to install to the AppData folder, but I changed the install directory to where the other guy said it was supposed to be under Program Files. It put the profiles and the mods directory under AppData this time, but I assume that's okay as long as the install directory isn't there.

Seriously guys (and gals) ask yourself: Why would anybody want to install Vortex.exe in their AppData/Roaming folder when installing a piece of software. Answer: Nobody would. For the record, uTorrent works the same way. It installs itself under your AppData/Roaming folder aka %UserData%. But uTorrent works fine that way because it does it intentionally. The user doesn't have anything to do with it.

I'm not trying to question anyone's development skill here. I certainly can't build mods or much less mod installers. All I can tell you is what happened in my case. I don't know why it works for everyone else, and I am the only one this seems to have happened to. Until someone else experiences the same thing I doubt it can be dealt with.

Seriously guys (and gals) ask yourself: Why would anybody want to install Vortex.exe in their AppData/Roaming folder when installing a piece of software. Answer: Nobody would. For the record, uTorrent works the same way. It installs itself under your AppData/Roaming folder aka %UserData%. But uTorrent works fine that way because it does it intentionally. The user doesn't have anything to do with it.

You're right. Nobody would install Vortex.exe to their AppData/Roaming folder. And that's why Vortex by default is installed to Program Files/Black Tree Gaming Ltd/Vortex. If Vortex.exe winds up anywhere else while using the default install, then there are other factors totally outside Vortex that have caused that.

Guest deleted34304850

if it has only happened to you, and you alone, then logically, its because YOU did something to enable it to happen.

You can swear on a stack of bibles that you did nothing, but here's the thing, computers don't lie.

Whatever. I did figure out why it was saying all the mods were duplicated I think. It would seem it had counted both the install files it had saved and the disabled mods as copies of each other. I am in the process of going back through all the mods and deleting the copied mods and reinstalling them. I tried to just delete the extra install file and enable the existing mod, but that didn't work. As soon as I enabled the mod I got the redundancy warning again. I got that even if the extra install file was removed. Beats me.

I hate to be the one to inform you, but computers rarely work as advertised without ever having a hiccup. Anyone who says so hasn't done much with computers. Especially anyone who has ever dealt with Windows and its updates. Think what you want. I don't have anything to prove. I also have nothing to gain by making up a problem. Nobody here ever told me how to fix the issue. I had to figure it out which is typical in computer technology. All people did was state either how it was supposed to work or how it worked in their case. By comparing what all of you said with what actually happened hopefully I solved the problem, but not without reinstalling 150 mods and recreating all the profiles. This is the third time I have had to do it due to other glitches I ran into using Vortex. I chalk it up to Beta software. There's a very good reason it is called beta. It's because things happen that aren't expected, planned, or otherwise intended when a user chooses to use said software. If it worked perfectly as everyone seems to think then it wouldn't be beta would it?

Guest deleted34304850

ive been working with computers since 1981. its fair to say i've done quite a bit with computers, and i've seen more than one user claim they didn't do something, the computer did it all by itself. you're not the first, you won't be the last. the truth here is that computers don't lie.

i'm not calling you a liar, but your story doesn't add up. just basic maths - of all the problems listed in these forums, you are the only user who claims that this issue was caused by vortex yet there's absolutely no proof of this. no logs, no screenshots, no nothing. its purely your word against every other user of vortex around the globe. you stand alone with your error because the error is yours alone.

there is a very old acronym - GIGO - garbage in, garbage out. a computer just does what you tell it to do. if you tell it to do the wrong thing, it will do it because you told it to do it. they don't lie, they do as they are instructed. they are at once, very dumb and very clever.

but i know this will go the same way as every other post, so as you said, so dismissively - "whatever".

next time - pay attention to what you're doing.

That's interesting because I've been working with computers since the TRS-80 was everyone's thrill and the Osborne which wieghed at least 50 lbs was the first thing they considered portable (or the idea behind a laptop). I worked on both and spent two years working on one of the first dual-processor machines built at a company as an assistant system administrator. I've also worked on microcomputers before that took up an entire room and required air conditioning to keep them cool or they would overheat that sounded like a jet engine running in the room. It's true I've never worked on card readers or any of IBMs stuff though. Like you I've heard every excuse in the book for why something didn't work right. I have found that it's about a 50/50 split. Sometimes it's something the user did. Sometimes it's a problem with development. I've done my share of it too. But I guess nobody cares one way or the other regardless. Like you said, I am the only one on the entire globe that has ever had a problem with beta software apparently. Go figure.

This problem seems to be resolved. I won't know for certain until another auto-update for Vortex is released. Currently Vortex is installed under Program Files where it is supposed (something I didn't know until you guys mentioned it) to be and the Appdata folder seems to be behaving as it should (no I have no idea how Vortex got installed in there and apparently neither do you). You can close the thread.