How do I update Vortex?

BiggestMan88

This problem seems to be resolved. I won't know for certain until another auto-update for Vortex is released. Currently Vortex is installed under Program Files where it is supposed (something I didn't know until you guys mentioned it) to be and the Appdata folder seems to be behaving as it should (no I have no idea how Vortex got installed in there and apparently neither do you). You can close the thread.

My first computer was a C64, but at work I used a TRS-80

Anyway, I used the Custom installer for Vortex, as Windows is over zealously protective of whatever goes in Program Files, permissions and all that nonsense.

Anyway, yours is the first instance of Vortex doubling up the mods when updating, so it's kind of hard to help when your problem was unique to you, we could've helped a lot quicker had this been a common problem that we've dealt with before.

Vortex only installs the profiles and app data to the app data folder, Vortex itself is installed elsewhere.

So you're saying I shouldn't have put it in Program Files either. The first time I didn't use the custom installer because there's a big warning on the download page that says if you don't know what you are doing (never touched Vortex before so I qualify) don't use it. Then I do, put it where the thing is supposed to put it, and it's still in the wrong place. The single only reason I put it there (I don't put Steam there or GOG either) was because someone said it worked there.

Well if it won't update because Windows won't allow the updater to write to Program Files and running Vortex as Administrator doesn't work I won't be shocked. Will reinstalling to a different location work now that the install directory is not in AppData\Roaming? Or will I lose my profiles again? An update may possibly work, but if you change the install location that may not is what I'm thinking.

Sorry for the apostrophe glitch with the forum to anybody who read this a second ago. I answered using my iPhone and apparently Safari doesn't get along so well with the Nexus forums. I think the duplicates came from me copying in the backup. I think Vortex when it purges deletes the references and that's it. If mods need moved, you are supposed to do so from within Vortex using Settings not manually copy and paste the mods into a directory Vortex is using. Were you to make the copy while Vortex is open and is accessing those files then Windows couldn't overwrite them. It would either freak out and lock you out of the directory stating it cannot overwrite, or who knows what it might do since it's a directory that you can normally write to.

I'm pretty sure the way the program is designed it only expects itself to read and write to your AppData folder. Normally it's supposed to be hidden and you aren't supposed to even see it's there. Everybody I know unhides it, but it doesn't matter. It isn't meant to be manually tampered with.

So you're saying I shouldn't have put it in Program Files either. The first time I didn't use the custom installer because there's a big warning on the download page that says if you don't know what you are doing (never touched Vortex before so I qualify) don't use it. Then I do, put it where the thing is supposed to put it, and it's still in the wrong place. The single only reason I put it there (I don't put Steam there or GOG either) was because someone said it worked there.

Well if it won't update because Windows won't allow the updater to write to Program Files and running Vortex as Administrator doesn't work I won't be shocked. Will reinstalling to a different location work now that the install directory is not in AppData\Roaming? Or will I lose my profiles again? An update may possibly work, but if you change the install location that may not is what I'm thinking.

Sorry for the apostrophe glitch with the forum to anybody who read this a second ago. I answered using my iPhone and apparently Safari doesn't get along so well with the Nexus forums. I think the duplicates came from me copying in the backup. I think Vortex when it purges deletes the references and that's it. If mods need moved, you are supposed to do so from within Vortex using Settings not manually copy and paste the mods into a directory Vortex is using. Were you to make the copy while Vortex is open and is accessing those files then Windows couldn't overwrite them. It would either freak out and lock you out of the directory stating it cannot overwrite, or who knows what it might do since it's a directory that you can normally write to.

I'm pretty sure the way the program is designed it only expects itself to read and write to your AppData folder. Normally it's supposed to be hidden and you aren't supposed to even see it's there. Everybody I know unhides it, but it doesn't matter. It isn't meant to be manually tampered with.

The first time I didn't use the custom installer because there's a big warning on the download page that says if you don't know what you are doing (never touched Vortex before so I qualify) don't use it.

That warning is for absolute beginners, much in the same way toasters come with instructions not to use them while showering and pop-tarts™ come with cooking instructions.

I keep everything unhidden

I think the duplicates came from me copying in the backup

That's exactly what happened.

It would've been easier to figure that out if you had said that in your original post.

Like I said earlier, the majority of problems we get in here so far are user error, people moving folders manually instead of having Vortex do it, or copying files inside folders instead of having Vortex do it etc.

I was trying not to lose my profiles again which needless to say didn't work. It wiped them anyway. What I gather from all this is that Vortex isn't supposed to erase the profiles at all. As someone said, an update doesn't touch the AppData folder. If I personally caused Vortex's installer to install the software in %USERDATA%\Vortex I have no idea how when I didn't even know that was a location Vortex used for anything. I didn't know that. I didn't know it was supposed to install in Program Files (which it didn't). I didn't know to move my mods out of AppData once it became the install location because I had no idea what the install location was supposed to be. I didn't look for it until I ran into problems. The problem I ran into was Vortex wouldn't let me move the mods folder from within Vortex Settings in the first place. I had to figure out why. I had done something similar then. I made a backup of my mods and created a directory C:\Vortex\{GAME}\mods, pasted the backup in there, and then Vortex wouldn't let me move the mod folder there because of something else I didn't know. You can't put your mods folder on top of an existing mods folder most likely for this very reason. I just didn't want to redownload all the mods. If I'm not mistaken Vortex was telling me moving the mods folder was an Experimental feature or something like that, and I didn't want to take the risk. I don't remember for certain though.

I knew absolutely nothing about Vortex or it's installer. The only way Vortex could've installed in that directory by something I did is if I personally typed that directory name into the installer and told it to put it there. I know I didn't do that. You don't have logs because I can't upload them. Nexus won't let me and worse yet I pay for a Premium membership. And Vortex didn't keep them anyway. The dates on what logs I do have are from 3 days after the install. The files did not log the installer or what it did or didn't do. Those logs would be completely useless to you or anybody trying to diagnose what went wrong with the installer. Unless there's a log you haven't told me about and you can bribe someone at Nexus to let me upload the file to the forum.

I'll be glad to upload any log file Vortex maintained if someone tells me where to look and what it's called. I have no issue with that. Let me make this very clear. I don't understand Vortex. I don't understand how it works. All I know is what it does and that it is similar to MO2. Even that is different. I had to learn what little I do know through trial and error. I have no idea how Vortex manages to get Fallout 4 to recognize mods are in it's Data folder without actually moving any files. That's Greek to me. I just want to install some mods and play the game.

I was trying not to lose my profiles again which needless to say didn't work. It wiped them anyway. What I gather from all this is that Vortex isn't supposed to erase the profiles at all. As someone said, an update doesn't touch the AppData folder. If I personally caused Vortex's installer to install the software in %USERDATA%\Vortex I have no idea how when I didn't even know that was a location Vortex used for anything. I didn't know that. I didn't know it was supposed to install in Program Files (which it didn't). I didn't know to move my mods out of AppData once it became the install location because I had no idea what the install location was supposed to be. I didn't look for it until I ran into problems. The problem I ran into was Vortex wouldn't let me move the mods folder from within Vortex Settings in the first place. I had to figure out why. I had done something similar then. I made a backup of my mods and created a directory C:\Vortex\{GAME}\mods, pasted the backup in there, and then Vortex wouldn't let me move the mod folder there because of something else I didn't know. You can't put your mods folder on top of an existing mods folder most likely for this very reason. I just didn't want to redownload all the mods. If I'm not mistaken Vortex was telling me moving the mods folder was an Experimental feature or something like that, and I didn't want to take the risk. I don't remember for certain though.

I knew absolutely nothing about Vortex or it's installer. The only way Vortex could've installed in that directory by something I did is if I personally typed that directory name into the installer and told it to put it there. I know I didn't do that. You don't have logs because I can't upload them. Nexus won't let me and worse yet I pay for a Premium membership. And Vortex didn't keep them anyway. The dates on what logs I do have are from 3 days after the install. The files did not log the installer or what it did or didn't do. Those logs would be completely useless to you or anybody trying to diagnose what went wrong with the installer. Unless there's a log you haven't told me about and you can bribe someone at Nexus to let me upload the file to the forum.

I'll be glad to upload any log file Vortex maintained if someone tells me where to look and what it's called. I have no issue with that. Let me make this very clear. I don't understand Vortex. I don't understand how it works. All I know is what it does and that it is similar to MO2. Even that is different. I had to learn what little I do know through trial and error. I have no idea how Vortex manages to get Fallout 4 to recognize mods are in it's Data folder without actually moving any files. That's Greek to me. I just want to install some mods and play the game.

If I'm not mistaken Vortex was telling me moving the mods folder was an Experimental feature or something like that, and I didn't want to take the risk. I don't remember for certain though.

Yea, that experimental thing, is called MOVE DEPLOYMENT, and is found in the DEPLOYMENT METHOD, and had nothing to do with your download folder.

You don't have logs because I can't upload them. Nexus won't let me and worse yet I pay for a Premium membership.

You could've copied and pasted the logs

Just open the log, hit CTRL+A, then hit CTRL+C, then in your post put a [spoiler ] [/spoiler ] tags, and put your cursor inside the spoiler tags and hit CTRL+V

Spoiler-Tags.jpg

I had to learn what little I do know through trial and error. I have no idea how Vortex manages to get Fallout 4 to recognize mods are in it's Data folder without actually moving any files.

It would've gone much easier if you had read the built in Knowledge Base and watched the built in Video Tutorials.

It's always wise to read a Manual BEFORE trying to use anything.

• 5 months later...

Is there anything else to configure, to Vortex for it being able to update itself? My configuration setting is set to stable, as on page one of this thread. I am at version 1.0.0 from July, latest Version according to Nexusmods website is 1.0.5 from October 16th, still my installation does not update.

Best Regards

Is there anything else to configure, to Vortex for it being able to update itself? My configuration setting is set to stable, as on page one of this thread. I am at version 1.0.0 from July, latest Version according to Nexusmods website is 1.0.5 from October 16th, still my installation does not update.

Best Regards

Vortex-Updates.jpg

Yes, this is exactly my setting, still Vortex does no update...

Edited by Lorgarn

Best Regards

Vortex-Updates.jpg

Yes, this is exactly my setting, still Vortex does no update...

Did you try clicking the CHECK NOW button directly underneath the UPDATE Dropdown ?

Check-Now-Update.jpg