From Modder to Professional Level Designer - Interview and AMA

BigBizkit

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #68786826.

ff7legend wrote: Any plans to port your Iomaungandr Rising mod over to Skyrim SE? If not, I could provide my services & port it/publish it on Skyrim SE Nexus with your permission Dan Taylor.

That would be rad... What needs to be done to port a mod to Skyrim SE? Are mods for the normal verison not compatible?

In response to post #68786116.

BowmoreLover wrote: Great interview! Dan's words had many insights for me. Thanks Dan and BigBizkit!
One question. Are you particularly concerned with the design of games offered worldwide (ie in multiple languages)? For example, including language-specific narratives, gestures, cultures, etc. can make it difficult for players in other languages to understand. On the other hand, there are situations where you want to use such design elements. For example, Square Enix is a Japanese company, did you have any such design requirements from them? (For example, considering the Asian market)
#Sorry for poor English, Google translated :P

Hi there.
That is a great question. All the games I worked on have always been fully localised (even at Thunderbox our games are available in 11 different languages). The specific cultural stuff is an interesting question though. I know that the Assassin's Creed team in Montreal take a lot of care to use the correct cultural elements in their games when building a specific locale. At Sqaure Enix I was working on Hitman, so it wasn't really something that came up! :)

In response to post #68782476.

Thaiauxn wrote: I love it when someone makes it from modding to indie development. With initiatives like Modularity and Mod.io offering to help fund and publish indie games which feature modding, it's a good time to make the jump that way.

Studios and AAA, however, seem to be the opposite of that -- they're shrinking teams and everyone is starving for work, so they can basically pick veterans for even entry level positions -- meaning they just don't need you if you're a modder. They can grab legends for lower prices.

There are a lot of us making mods that I'm just like... if we had money on hand to just not have to work a day job, we'd do this full time and produce games. Modding to me is just what I do when I can't work on a feature length game with a staff!

Thanks, man!
I hear what you are saying, but teams will always need junior members. It's prohibitiively expensive to staff a team with very experienced talent (the best people won't work for peanuts) and, on top of that, there is quite a lot of work required that is not particularly tricky (for example, placing cover rigs or mapping out sound triggers) that could easily be done by a junior designer; you really don't want expensive talent frittering their time away on technical grind work. When I was modding for a hobby I had a marketing job, and I took a 50% pay cut to work as a Level Designer. so yeah, making decent money right off the bat is tough... but it's possible to build a career once your foot is in the door. The biggest bit of advicce I can give anyone who is trying to break in to the industry is to be different - make sure your work has an interesting angle that employers won't have seen in the other applicants' remo reels.

In response to post #68775646.

BinakAlgo wrote: Wow! What an interview! Dan Taylor is living the dream and rightfully so it seems. Congrats.

Great tips to modding, I would just wish to have the free time to do it, nowadays I don't even have time to play the games in the first place... T_T

Thanks - that's most kind of you.
I barely have time to play games myself now... especially as RPGs can have hundreds of hours of content.
Modding used to take all of my free time... the plan was to make it my job, so I could liberate my free time... which sort of worked out!
:)

In response to post #68773116.

WillTDP wrote: Now you're a professional game dev, will you ever come back to modding for games like Fallout 4/New Vegas. Or is that time of your game dev years over?

I''d like to... being an indie developer is a bit like being a pro modder - I get to do all my modding on my own game during work hours! In terms of modding an existing game, I am a real stickler for quality, so even a small mod would take a large chunk of my time. Maybe a big studio would like Thunderbox to create some DLC for them? #coughBethesda

Yaaaaay! I am so happy you asked about this!

I do indeed have the plot for Act III (in my head at least).

It was going to be short... more comparable to Act I in size.

The Blade of Souls would eventually lead you to a remote island, with a massive spire on it.

No surprise - the spire is Zellenath's lair.

The player would have to battle to the top of the spire (solving puzzles an mini-quests along the way) to confront Zellenath in his true form - a Dracolich!

After two years spent working on Act II , I just didn't have the bandwidht to complete it, so I tried to incorporate a decent ending into the second act.

I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed it!!! :D

In response to post #68772856. #68792221 is also a reply to the same post.

FallenTormentor wrote: Did you, or do you still, have the plot for a part 3 to Lich Father written anywhere? I'd love to know what was supposed to happen afterward or if the end to part 2 was it?
dt1000 wrote: Yaaaaay! I am so happy you asked about this!
I do indeed have the plot for Act III (in my head at least).
It was going to be short... more comparable to Act I in size.
The Blade of Souls would eventually lead you to a remote island, with a massive spire on it.
No surprise - the spire is Zellenath's lair.
The player would have to battle to the top of the spire (solving puzzles an mini-quests along the way) to confront Zellenath in his true form - a Dracolich!
After two years spent working on Act II , I just didn't have the bandwidht to complete it, so I tried to incorporate a decent ending into the second act.
I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed it!!! :D

Whoops... seem to have replied twice. Need. More. Coffee. Edited by dt1000