Lights turn off when far away?

I'm trying to learn about scripting with a simple "daylight comes through window" script. I've noticed something strange with the lights turning off when they move far from the window. I'm hoping I can get some input as to why this happening.

The specific cell is "Ebonheart, Six Fishes", the wall with two windows on the main floor. The window itself is at about y=-370 (y decreases further towards outside). So at full sun, a light source is set to be at y=-370. At night, the light is at y=-1370 (1000 away from window). If you stay in the cell during a day-to-night-to-day change, everything is fine. However, if you leave the cell and reenter while the light is at y=-1370, then, when the light returns to y=-370, the light will give off no light at all - it's off!. Thus a quick disable/enable is needed to get it emitting light again.

I've fiddled around with it and have found that disable/enable will only work when the light is closer than y=-918.

So what gives? It's almost as if the game "forgets" the light should be giving off light when it's far enough away. Is this a distance thing, a coordinate value thing, some other thing?