Consistent CTDs, game is left unplayable

Praelias

So, I've never played FNV. I'm doing mod reviews for an Amino community I'm in now, and instead of just focusing on Fallout 4 (there are a lot of hardcore NV/FO3 fans in the community) I want to do some of the other games too. This is my first playthrough, and my first time modding the game, but I am at a loss.

I've tried to get the game working on two computers. The first was a 2016 HP Pavilion 17, and this one is a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 - which is a gaming laptop. Both run on Windows 10. The HP wouldn't even launch the vanilla game. No DLC, no mods, no nothing. Just crashed on launch.

I have the game running now with mods on the Dell, and it's been months since I've tried to get the game working because it was so much trouble last time. Upon installing, vanilla launched fine. I didn't stay in the game long enough to see whether or not I had the issue I have now, but it launched. After installing mods, it stopped launching because I was missing a master file - and that issue has been fixed.

Now, the game launches and I can get into a new game just fine. I can load a game just fine. What I can't do is play the game for more than 60 seconds, roughly. It crashes to desktop every time, without fail, and I am honestly at a loss for how to fix it. I crash when fast traveling and exiting Doc's house. I used an alternate start mod initially - which is how I know I can run around for about 60 seconds outside before crashing - but it's no longer in my game.

Because I know it'll be asked, here's my load order. If something is disabled, it's stated. 100% of the disabled mods are disabled because they lack the needed DLC. Disabling all of them is the only thing that got the game launching. I was hoping to get away with FOC and Nevada Skies because sometimes mods like that just affect what's there and aren't actually dependent on the DLCs, but these apparently aren't like that and I couldn't get away with it.

GameMode=FalloutNV

FalloutNV.esm=1

DISABLED - FCOMaster.esm=0

enclavebunker.esm=1

Project Nevada - Core.esm=1

Project Nevada - Equipment.esm=1

Project Nevada - Rebalance.esp=1

Project Nevada - Cyberware.esp=1

oHUD.esm=1

SomeguySeries.esm=1

AnnieArkinFacegen.esp=1

Vurt's WFO.esp=1

NiptonRebuilt.esp=1

NewVegasBounties.esp=1

DISABLED - TheInheritance.esp=0

NukaCola-Ojo.esp=1

CAGE 1.9.3.2.esp=1

1Earrings.esp=1

EVE FNV - NO DLC.esp=1

IMPACT.esp=1

dD - Enhanced Blood Main NV.esp=1

DISABLED - FCO - NPC Changes.esp=0

Mutant Eyes.esp=1

Roberts_NewVegas.esp=1

DISABLED - FCO - Roberts Patch.esp=0

DISABLED - FCO - Niner.esp=0

DISABLED - FCO - OHSB NPC Edits.esp=0

DISABLED - FCO - Russell.esp=0

zzjayHairsFNV.esp=1

Readius_NV.esp=1

pyDoF.esp=1

RSO - Realistic Stealth Overhaul - NV.esp=1

Sit Anywhere.esp=1

1nivVSLArmors.esp=1

TempraHFPresetNV.esp=1

TroubleMaker Armor.esp=1

DISABLED - Weapon Retexture Project.esp=0

BM4A1.esp=1

DEagle.esp=1

M14.esp=1

The Mod Configuration Menu.esp=1

Does anybody know what my issue is? NVSE is up to date, and I reinstalled it to make sure there was no corruption. My game files have been verified. I have already reinstalled the game once on this computer. I tried it in windowed mode. I ran NVSE and Steam as administrator. My computer has been restarted multiple times since this is an ongoing issue.

If the game is installed in the default "Program Files", the Windows User Account Control will prevent any changes to be made to the files. This means that NVSE will be blocked.

You should remove the disabled plugins, since they are still loaded into memory when the game is launched.

Get your load list cleaned up and then run LOOT to sort your mods correctly.

The following entries in the wiki 'Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting' guide specifically address known Win10 problems:
* 'Issue: NVSE - fails to load after update KB4058043 to Win10 FCU (v1709)'
* 'Issue: Incomplete save game load' (NVSR related)
* 'Issue: Vanilla game Hangs on startup'; specifically "Cause-1" regarding DirectX9 drivers.
* 'Issue: "Full screen mode" exhibits CTDs and stutters or micro-stutters'
* 'Issue: Recent (post-Win10 FCU) CTDs after 10-20 minutes of play' (NVSR related)
* 'Issue: Lag or "micro stutters" even with "New Vegas Stutter Remover" installed (or not)'. In particular "Cause-4" regarding video card settings. The latest video drivers may not be the best suited to an older game like FNV. All vendors drop testing of old games at some point. Backwards compatibility is never guaranteed, much less "optimization".
Also, "Cause-7" regarding "Superfetch" and "File search indexing". Windows updates will often reset these back on.
* 'Issue: Win10 Screen tearing in "Borderless Windowed Mode"'
* 'Issue: ENB Support for Windows versions later than Win7'
* 'Issue: Problems using ENB/SweetFx on Windows 10'

If you can't get the bare bones vanilla game to launch, you are missing a requirement (such as the "D3D9.dll" DirectX9 driver) or sufficient system RAM for the game. It appears from the specs that the HP Pavilion 17 comes with 4GB total of system RAM, which it shares with the video display. (If you don't have a graphics card with it's own "onboard" dedicated VRAM, which most laptops don't, then it has to use System RAM for graphics processing.) Win10 needs almost 1GB for the OS, graphics comes out of the rest, and the game itself needs at least 2GB. I can easily believe you didn't have enough memory for the game to launch, especially if you have any background processes (such as the Steam Client and antivirus) running.

* Be aware that one error may mask a number of other errors, which will not appear until those masking them have been resolved. Building a stable game consists of resolving each problem individually until none remain, and then realizing that every change you make thereafter (including updates to mods already installed) run the risk of introducing new problems. Be prepared to revert to a previous save if you do so.

* Did you install Steam to it's default location? If so, please see the wiki "Installing Games on Windows Vista+" article for why the original default Steam behavior of installing games to the "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Program Files(x86)" folder tree was bad (they learned better, and don't do that any more); and why "disabling UAC and running as Administrator" is NOT sufficient, with instructions how to move it. This is the single most important thing you can do to fix and protect yourself against problems in the future. As much of a PITA as that is, it's never going to be any easier than now. System updates often cause issues with games installed to these folder trees. Please see the 'Restoring to "Vanilla"' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article as well.

I recommend anyone read the entire "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article to understand the differences between this game and others you may have experience with; especially if this is your first attempt to play a modded FNV or it's been more than a year since you last did so. For best results, install and test mods one at a time once you have the "essentials".

Otherwise, please provide ALL the information requested in the wiki "How to ask for help" article. Don't forget to identify things that do not appear in the "load order", such as if you are using a "regional language version" of the game; using the FNV4GB Patch, NVSE and it's related plugins; replacements for textures (specifically their larger image sizes: 1024x1024, etc.), animations, or "bodies", etc.; and "post-processors" like ENB or SweetFX. It saves us playing "20 questions" and gets you a more specific answer more quickly. (The usual turn-around on post and reply in an older game forum is 24 hours.)

* See "How to markup images (etc) in forum posts and comments" article for how to use "Spoiler tags". LOOT already includes those tags in the "load order" it copies to your clipboard, so you can just paste it's list into your post.

-Dubious-

If the game is installed in the default "Program Files", the Windows User Account Control will prevent any changes to be made to the files. This means that NVSE will be blocked.

You should remove the disabled plugins, since they are still loaded into memory when the game is launched.

Get your load list cleaned up and then run LOOT to sort your mods correctly.

It's installed in Program Files x86, same as Fallout 4 and the rest of my steam games. According to NVSE's readme file, you can also see if it's working right in game via console commands, and according to that it's working fine. NVSE shouldn't be my issue; I'll disable the plugins though, and then use LOOT to sort it again. Thanks for the suggestion!

The following entries in the wiki 'Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting' guide specifically address known Win10 problems:

* 'Issue: NVSE - fails to load after update KB4058043 to Win10 FCU (v1709)'

* 'Issue: Incomplete save game load' (NVSR related)

* 'Issue: Vanilla game Hangs on startup'; specifically "Cause-1" regarding DirectX9 drivers.

* 'Issue: "Full screen mode" exhibits CTDs and stutters or micro-stutters'

* 'Issue: Recent (post-Win10 FCU) CTDs after 10-20 minutes of play' (NVSR related)

* 'Issue: Lag or "micro stutters" even with "New Vegas Stutter Remover" installed (or not)'. In particular "Cause-4" regarding video card settings. The latest video drivers may not be the best suited to an older game like FNV. All vendors drop testing of old games at some point. Backwards compatibility is never guaranteed, much less "optimization".

Also, "Cause-7" regarding "Superfetch" and "File search indexing". Windows updates will often reset these back on.

* 'Issue: Win10 Screen tearing in "Borderless Windowed Mode"'

* 'Issue: ENB Support for Windows versions later than Win7'

* 'Issue: Problems using ENB/SweetFx on Windows 10'

If you can't get the bare bones vanilla game to launch, you are missing a requirement (such as the "D3D9.dll" DirectX9 driver) or sufficient system RAM for the game. It appears from the specs that the HP Pavilion 17 comes with 4GB total of system RAM, which it shares with the video display. (If you don't have a graphics card with it's own "onboard" dedicated VRAM, which most laptops don't, then it has to use System RAM for graphics processing.) Win10 needs almost 1GB for the OS, graphics comes out of the rest, and the game itself needs at least 2GB. I can easily believe you didn't have enough memory for the game to launch, especially if you have any background processes (such as the Steam Client and antivirus) running.

* Be aware that one error may mask a number of other errors, which will not appear until those masking them have been resolved. Building a stable game consists of resolving each problem individually until none remain, and then realizing that every change you make thereafter (including updates to mods already installed) run the risk of introducing new problems. Be prepared to revert to a previous save if you do so.

* Did you install Steam to it's default location? If so, please see the wiki "Installing Games on Windows Vista+" article for why the original default Steam behavior of installing games to the "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Program Files(x86)" folder tree was bad (they learned better, and don't do that any more); and why "disabling UAC and running as Administrator" is NOT sufficient, with instructions how to move it. This is the single most important thing you can do to fix and protect yourself against problems in the future. As much of a PITA as that is, it's never going to be any easier than now. System updates often cause issues with games installed to these folder trees. Please see the 'Restoring to "Vanilla"' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article as well.

I recommend anyone read the entire "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article to understand the differences between this game and others you may have experience with; especially if this is your first attempt to play a modded FNV or it's been more than a year since you last did so. For best results, install and test mods one at a time once you have the "essentials".

Otherwise, please provide ALL the information requested in the wiki "How to ask for help" article. Don't forget to identify things that do not appear in the "load order", such as if you are using a "regional language version" of the game; using the FNV4GB Patch, NVSE and it's related plugins; replacements for textures (specifically their larger image sizes: 1024x1024, etc.), animations, or "bodies", etc.; and "post-processors" like ENB or SweetFX. It saves us playing "20 questions" and gets you a more specific answer more quickly. (The usual turn-around on post and reply in an older game forum is 24 hours.)

* See "How to markup images (etc) in forum posts and comments" article for how to use "Spoiler tags". LOOT already includes those tags in the "load order" it copies to your clipboard, so you can just paste it's list into your post.

-Dubious-

As stated, the vanilla game launches, and I can go through character creation, but I didn't stay in it long enough to see if I still had this issue of the game only running for 60 seconds.

I'm no longer using the HP mentioned, which Ii also explained. Here's the link to it though, and I was a little off on the model. It's been a while since I used it, so I guess my memory was a little fuzzy. It does have 8gb of ram, not 4, but I'm using the dell now, which you can take a closer look at here. My specs are well above what's required for the game so it should have no issue running FNV.

My games are all installed in Program Files(x86). The only one I have issues with is New Vegas; that said, I'll give the articles you've linked a read. Maybe that game has an issue that none of the others do or something.

Thanks for the help!