New Update and SKSE

AJStoner

Skyrim SE just updated on Steam and SKSE doesn't work now. Anyone have info on this or some idea of how long will it likely take before SKSE gets updated?

Usually less than 24hrs for both SKSE and/or F4SE to be updated when a new executable is released, then a few hours after that, most mods that require them get updated. You should see an "updates" notification, provided you are sensibly "tracking" mods that use the script extender.

We're also discussing this here:

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/7475851-did-skyrim-se-just-update-cannot-get-skse-64-to-work-today/page-2&do=findComment&comment=68470121

In short, make a backup of your SkyrimSE.exe from before this update. If you didn't, I know it is possible to get one but I don't know how myself. If it's not possible - you're basically screwed for the next few weeks / months because they have a new sword skin and player home for sale in the cash shop and that was worth breaking the game for EVERYONE...

https://bethesda.net/community/topic/326823/creation-club-march-sneak-peeks-skyrim/2?lang=en-US&page=1

Here'a mod to make auto-backups:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/12480?tab=description

Watch the video in sticky of the comments.

I've never seen it take only 24 hours to get things in order for this. The first time it happen I was basically screwed for months - I resubbed to WoW for a bit because I didn't know how to get an older release of SkyrimSE.exe. Some of the mods I used to use only made to the last version of SKSE a week ago or so, like ECE... this is why I use Racemenu now, which itself was a slow to catch up. If you use any mod who's author is not active, but used SKSE, you're screwed... and some mods warn you about updating mid-playthrough... Things like Sands of Time and Wild World...

Edited by Jyotai

was it just the Skyrim.exe that has been updated, or have they updated the Master Files ?

Just the exe. You can revert by doing the following:

*Go to your game library on Steam.

*Right click on Skyrim SE and select "properties."

*Go to updates and select "only update when I lauch aplication."

*Open the Steam console by hitting Win+R and copy/pasting steam://nav/console into it and hitting enter.

*When the console is open, copy/paste download_depot 489830 489833 7531846925655934196 into it and hit enter

*Go to (wherever your steam file is located)Steam\steamapps\content\app_489830\depot_489833 and copy/paste the SkyrimSE.exe file into your Skyrim directory, overwriting the one already in there.

Start locking Steam down in OFFLINE MODE folks. Keeping Steam in Offline Mode is the only sure way to keep Bethesda's "stealth updates" off your games. While SKSE64 may get an update in 24-48 hours, many other mods that depend upon SKSE64 will likely take much longer. I've seen it take upwards of 2-3 weeks before all SKSE64-reliant .dll mods get updated to the newest runtime.

Start locking Steam down in OFFLINE MODE folks. Keeping Steam in Offline Mode is the only sure way to keep Bethesda's "stealth updates" off your games. While SKSE64 may get an update in 24-48 hours, many other mods that depend upon SKSE64 will likely take much longer. I've seen it take upwards of 2-3 weeks before all SKSE64-reliant .dll mods get updated to the newest runtime.

How do I do that?

(Skyrim is the only thing I use Steam for - so I'm not expert in it. I greatly prefer my apps be on their own, but Skyrim forced Steam on me.)

Edited by Jyotai

was it just the Skyrim.exe that has been updated, or have they updated the Master Files ?

Just the exe. You can revert by doing the following:

*Go to your game library on Steam.

*Right click on Skyrim SE and select "properties."

*Go to updates and select "only update when I lauch aplication."

At least in my steam account, they've set it to auto-update and disabled the pulldown menu to change this option...

Fortunately I've got a backup of the .exe, so I can keep replacing it everytime they swap in the new one...

Edited by Jyotai

in steam, click on the Steam tab - click on Go Offline - reset steam in offline mod (which will be a box that pops up) - then everytime you boot up steam, it will remain in offline mode. its bit excessive however.

but all you really need to do is copy and paste your Skyrim.exe into another location, then when steam updates skyrim, it will be a simple matter of copying and pasting that backup Skyrim.exe back into the skyrim folder (overwriting when asked).

or for guaranteed backup, simply add your entire skyrim folder into a compressed archive, recommend using 7zip (move that compressed archive into a different location), then you have a complete backup, then extract the backup when steam has updated skyrim and copy and paste the backup, back into the skyrim folder. overwriting everything when asked. (right click on the Skyrim Special Edition Folder, Highlight 7zip - Add to Archive)

Note: None of your games will update in offline mode, and you will not be able to interact with any of your steam friends, so running it in offline mode is completely not nessaray, however it is a guranteed way to prevent steam from updating your games with unwanted updates.