Help with OBS

Hey guys, I've got a problem with OBS.

My footage frequently lags, the video looks terrible and the audio isn't great either (though I have found that this can be changed through adjusting the audio bitrate). Can someone please post some settings that they use? I believe someone already showed me theirs, although what they showed me was specifically for streaming and not recording locally.

The lag is probably due to the fact that the games I have tried to run have been graphically intensive, although that still does not explain the pixelated and muddy look of my footage.

Note: I am aware I have made a thread similar to this one before, but I have started to look at the issue again, due to me not receiving much help and the thread quickly dying.
Here are my specs:

Asus GTX 1070 Turbo

16GB G.Skill Trident Z RAM (3200 MHz)

Asus ROG Strix Z270E Gaming Motherboard

Windows 10 Pro

Intel i7 7700k CPU

Samsung 860 Evo 500GB

Samsung 960 Evo 250GB

Could be any number of things..... I would start with the settings in OBS, and see if anything there will give you better performance. Then I would take a look at the game settings you are running. Maybe turn off some of the eye-candy stuff, see what happens. Next I would look at the O/S, and see what other processes were running, that don't really need to be, particularly, things like third-party anti-malware apps.

Could be any number of things..... I would start with the settings in OBS, and see if anything there will give you better performance. Then I would take a look at the game settings you are running. Maybe turn off some of the eye-candy stuff, see what happens. Next I would look at the O/S, and see what other processes were running, that don't really need to be, particularly, things like third-party anti-malware apps.

Do I need a game capture card to get decent footage?

It probably wouldn't hurt, but, in all reality, I just don't know. Never played with any of it. One of my kids used to do live-streaming of games, but, he had a BEAST of a machine, and some specific software, that I simply can't remember the name of at the moment. He lives 700 miles away now, otherwise, I would just ask him. :) I don't think he is doing it any more though......

It probably wouldn't hurt, but, in all reality, I just don't know. Never played with any of it. One of my kids used to do live-streaming of games, but, he had a BEAST of a machine, and some specific software, that I simply can't remember the name of at the moment. He lives 700 miles away now, otherwise, I would just ask him. :smile: I don't think he is doing it any more though......

Dang, that's a shame. Guess I'll just have to carry on experimenting. But, more on the technical side, do you have any tips for the individual settings?

On that software? Nope, notta clue. :) If the game itself runs good on whatever settings you are using, and it just chokes with the software...... check thru the settings, or, see if there is a tutorial for setting it up somewhere. Don't neglect your background processes though...... sometimes, something simple will conflict, and give you all sorts of interesting issues.

Go into your OBS settings, click on the Output tab, and then select the Recording tab.

Ensure that Recording Format is set to mp4, and that you're using the x264 Encoder (I use the H264/AVC Encoder as I have an AMD-based gpu)

Under that in the Preset section, use the Lossless preset, and in Quality Preset select Quality.

Bear in mind that these are my custom settings for lossless video*, so the filesizes will be huge (10 seconds of footage will be around 100mb) so you'll need to either re-edit/re-encode via a video editor, or adjust the settings further in OBS.

I'm also using a custom Rate Control (CBR) and a bitrate of 10000 - lowering this value will reduce the filesize of the output file somewhat. You might need to do some additional tweaking.

As HeyYou mentioned, close as many non-essential background processes as possible to claw back cpu cycles/ram. Any overlay stuff like Steam, Nvidia, anti-virus, anti-malware, fps displays, Itunes etc... or open browser windows. If it's not part of the game, OBS, or your O.S. shut it down as it likely impacts performance when running a game AND attempting to capture footage. If you are still experiencing lag when playing back the footage, consider lowering the fps to 30 in-game and recording that to see if the situation improves.

*most online guides/tutorials/Youtube vids for OBS are woefully inadequate when it comes to explaining good settings to use when recording in-game footage imho.

Go into your OBS settings, click on the Output tab, and then select the Recording tab.

Ensure that Recording Format is set to mp4, and that you're using the x264 Encoder (I use the H264/AVC Encoder as I have an AMD-based gpu)

Under that in the Preset section, use the Lossless preset, and in Quality Preset select Quality.

Bear in mind that these are my custom settings for lossless video*, so the filesizes will be huge (10 seconds of footage will be around 100mb) so you'll need to either re-edit/re-encode via a video editor, or adjust the settings further in OBS.

I'm also using a custom Rate Control (CBR) and a bitrate of 10000 - lowering this value will reduce the filesize of the output file somewhat. You might need to do some additional tweaking.

As HeyYou mentioned, close as many non-essential background processes as possible to claw back cpu cycles/ram. Any overlay stuff like Steam, Nvidia, anti-virus, anti-malware, fps displays, Itunes etc... or open browser windows. If it's not part of the game, OBS, or your O.S. shut it down as it likely impacts performance when running a game AND attempting to capture footage. If you are still experiencing lag when playing back the footage, consider lowering the fps to 30 in-game and recording that to see if the situation improves.

*most online guides/tutorials/Youtube vids for OBS are woefully inadequate when it comes to explaining good settings to use when recording in-game footage imho.

Correct on pretty much all accounts. Thanks, this actually helped and now my footage looks somewhat good!