Nifskope display another texture then in game

VladMCXI

Hay!

Firs time posting here. Sorry if i do something wrong.

I have a big problem with nifskoper when i try to retexture a mesh from a mode.

I understand that i need to create a bgsm file to point to the textures location. So i did. And in Nifskope viewer, the mesh has the correct texture, but in game has the old textures and i don't understand why. Everything in the nif file points to the bgsm or textures that i want, but still doesn't work. I wasted
to many hours on this problem.

For more context:

I have 2 modes that i want to have, but have conflicts with the texture. The first mod changes the body and a lot of clothes (CBBE) and the second one changes only the body (Jane Bon). I want to have all of the clothes of CBBE but with the body of Jane Bon, but the problem is that both the clothes and the body uses the same texture for the body. So i created another folder where i put the textures for Jane Bon and created the nif file of the body with the bgsm pointing at the texture from the new folder. In Nifskope the mesh has the correct texture, but in game has the old textures that remained in the old folder (for the clothes).

Edited by VladMCXI

Oh that's a strange one, hmm, it sounds like there is a texture/material swap on the outfit in CK that is overwriting the bgsm and texture sources in the nif (not sure though but it might be worth checking).

So, is it just the outfits that go back to the old textures or is it happening with your custom body mesh too?

Another idea might be to try and "check texture sources" (or update texture links, i forget what it's called) from the right click menu in nifscope. :)

So, is it just the outfits that go back to the old textures or is it happening with your custom body mesh too?

The problem is only on the body where i try to change the texture. The clothes are fine, haven't changed anything to them. But the body is set on the textures of the other mod, even if i set the bgsm to another folder.

The thing is: i'm new to modding. This is literally the first mod i do(mod of a mod) and i don't really know how to check those. The UI is really strange and the i don't really know the terms. I barely understand the basic of nifskope.

Thanks for help.

Ah I see mate, well, try deactivating the original mod and leave just your custom files and see if that helps :smile: the body mod is probably low in the load order and might be overwriting your custom edits. It's just a guess though.

Yes, it seems to be from a script or something. I uninstalled CBBE and the retexture works fine, with the textures put in the new folder.

But I tried the other way around, let the Jane Bon rewrite anything from CBBE and reseted manually the texture (because i want the CBBE to remain in the old folder so the clothes know where to look at), but the problem still the same. I looked in the data folder and say 2 files from CBBE (.esp and ba2) and one from Jane (.esp) and as far as i understand those are the mod's files so i tried to remove them, but nothing.

Thanks again for the help.

No problem mate :) glad to help if I can :)

So let me get this right... You want all outfits to be cbbe and the Base naked body to be jane mod, but both overwrite the same body texture? So, I think the problem is that in CK in the human race record - the body mesh and texture are set for whichever mod is last in the load order, if you change the mesh and texture path in the race record you should be able to have your body use a different texture to the body meshes in the outfits :) and it should work just like you want :)

Note - cbbe and jane body might use a script to 'inject' the new mesh and texture into the human race record. That way those mods would be compatible with other mods that edit the human race record. So if you're going to release the mod or atleast make it more compatible - I would definitely recommend checking out how to do that by script, I've seen a couple good script examples online, but the best and easiest way would probably be to open up cbbe or jane body in CK and look at their script (if they use one) :)

Edit** also, if you didn't know already - an .esp Loads data into the game from a .Ba2, and esp's are toggled on/off by whatever mod manager you are using, so if you turn off the mod in mod manager there's no 'real' need to delete the esp and ba2 :)

Edited by SandMouseAnarchy

Yeah, as i said before, this is the first time i touch modding tools for a game(except nexus)
All i learned was in a day of study.

And now it seems i need to learn how to code scripts.
ALL I WANTED WAS TO CHANGE SOME GODDAMN TEXTURES!
I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE EASY, GOD DAMN IT!

20 MINUTES ADVENTURE, IN AND OUT!

fml

I need to train in the art of scripting.

I'll post my results after some time.

Thanks a lot, again, again. You helped a ton.