Is anyone playing Dawnguard WITHOUT bugs/ crashing?

kevkiev

Okay, first major bug for me: After recruiting Gunmar and Sorine, I went back to Fort Dawnguard only to find that Isran's body was missing. That is to say, I could hear him talk and the quest arrow pointed at the place he was supposed to be standing, but he wasn't there. At first, Gunmar and Sorine were trapped inside the gates that bar the way into the castle. I was able to complete the quest by disabling the gates, but Isran's quest arrow didn't move so I couldn't follow him to the next objective.

EDIT: Solved by using the Moveto Player command.

he's should of been on the balcony above the round courtyard entrance where his bedroom is looking down at you, Gunmar and Sorine, to see if you where vampire's ad there's a spiral staircase to your right to get up there to speak to him, you'll need to go up there anyhow after he's done speaking to you for your next quest!..

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I just finished the entire expansion, pretty much. The Dawnguard main quest is finished (where you kill Serana's daddy) and many, many side-quests are also finished. Here is my bug report. I've played mod-free, as a vampire hunter.

I did manage to find one bug (I think) and since I don't have any mods, I know it's not mod-related. I believe I was supposed to be able to return to the Soul Cairn after the main Dawnguard quest was finished to fetch Serana's mother. It wouldn't let me go back into the Soul Cairn again, not even as a vampire. So, I guess Serana's mother is down there forever. This was the only real bug I found with the expansion. Otherwise, the expansion was pretty bug-free for me.

Edited by Snowsong

I can't really play Dawnguard. I finally thought I had it working and I was ready to play it. Durak invites me to join. I go to the fort, and everybody attacks me, including Durok. I can't talk to the quest-giver because he is always attacking me.

I looked at the factions, and it seems like the only reason Durak would hate me is if I was a custom Dawnguard vampire. I am not even a standard vampire. Maybe I ought to just deactivate the DLC or construct a patch to disable the expansion's main quest and whichever of its features annoy me. I want the new crossbows and creatures and things.

David if you do this, would you please let me know?...I would be very interested myself.....I LOVE those Crossbows....but am wondering myself if Dawnguard is just too much of a mod clashing headache to continue with...If I have to choose between a stable vanilla Dawnguard game and a stable Nexus mods no Dawnguard game, I will delete the Dawnguard....If this helps, Fore made mention in his FNIS thread about finding the Dawnguard animation files in the 1.7 update.

Edited by StayFrosty05

Well, I just finished the entire expansion, pretty much. The Dawnguard main quest is finished (where you kill Serana's daddy) and many, many side-quests are also finished. Here is my bug report. I've played mod-free, as a vampire hunter.

I did manage to find one bug (I think) and since I don't have any mods, I know it's not mod-related. I believe I was supposed to be able to return to the Soul Cairn after the main Dawnguard quest was finished to fetch Serana's mother. It wouldn't let me go back into the Soul Cairn again, not even as a vampire. So, I guess Serana's mother is down there forever. This was the only real bug I found with the expansion. Otherwise, the expansion was pretty bug-free for me.

I was able to go back to get the mother, with mod's installed, there are two similar rooms in the abandoned part of the castle, and I was almost fooled by this similar room, it had torn light blue patterned carpet, in the area you thought the entrance would be, but then I remembered pulling on a couple of chains and turning a candle stick to get to the mother alchemy lab, and the soul cairn portal was still open and accessible!..

mods in my game are

Dawnguard - Jiubs Opus Quest Markers

KenMOD - Lockpick Pro - Cheat

SkyUI and it's dependency skse version 1.7

community uncapper

Edited by sinnerman69

Snip

am wondering myself if Dawnguard is just too much of a mod clashing headache to continue with...

Dawnguard is certainly a mod clashing headache, the Vampire/Dawnguard's main quests may or may not be unstable with my current build as I stopped doing them after becoming a VL - but with the patches in my signature (and turning off any sneak related mods such as Duel - Combat Realism or using a invisability spell such as the one given by better vampire's by bre during your first VL transformation in the tutorial) I've been able to go around Skyrim itself enjoying the DLC's additions glitch free; well, the crossbow & VL powers I mean - avoiding the quests for now just to relax.

40 mods and loving it! =D

The only mods to avoid until compatible seem to be Custom Races + dD Enhanced Blood + Sneak/Detection changing mods (or use workaround/turn off before VL tutorial)

It's not bad at all, though some mods may randomly break things.. supposedly a 'glowing books' mod broke unrelenting force.. I don't .. my head.. even.. ow..owwww... *huff*

Edited by Satorinu

Had a few minor glitches, still nothing serious.

Upon finding all Aetherium shards while playing Lost to the Ages, the quest marker wouldn't show me were to find the Aetherium Forge, instead telling me to go back into Raldbthar Deep Market to report to Isran.

Making it back to Fort Dawnguard, the Moth Priest used his regular idle animation while reading from the Elder Scroll and then got stuck in "busy" mode, making it impossible to talk to him. Fixed by disabling and enabling him.

he's should of been on the balcony above the round courtyard entrance where his bedroom is looking down at you, Gunmar and Sorine, to see if you where vampire's ad there's a spiral staircase to your right to get up there to speak to him, you'll need to go up there anyhow after he's done speaking to you for your next quest!..

Not sure if he was there, if he was I didn't see him. At any rate, Gunmar and Sorine were definitely in the wrong places, as was Isran's quest marker.

Edited by Relativelybest

I can confirm that after installing dawnguard it has corrupted my saves like screen splitting. shadows turning the ground dark black. And made my game a little bit laggy. I have not even tried the quests for dawngaurd as I play a theif who lives on his own in the woods with his own house built and sales stolen goods for a living. So I do not know if any quests are buggy. But it probaly has ruined my 160 hour save and I am about to go to the beathseda forums and flip out. Because I am going to have to start over if I cannot get this save to work right again. I reccomend you to not play dawngaurd on your saved file and to start a new one to be safe not to corrupt it like mine.............

Given the supposed "disaster" of bugs that I was expecting since the xbox launch had gone so poorly, I've been surprised at how few bugs i've encountered. I have about another 15 or so esp mods I've been running alongside it, yet I haven't encountered a single conflict with any of them. Maybe I just got lucky, but I'm gald they delayed the release for PC as i can see how some of the bugs that were mentioned could be completely game-breaking.

I can confirm that after installing dawnguard it has corrupted my saves like screen splitting. shadows turning the ground dark black. And made my game a little bit laggy. I have not even tried the quests for dawngaurd as I play a theif who lives on his own in the woods with his own house built and sales stolen goods for a living. So I do not know if any quests are buggy. But it probaly has ruined my 160 hour save and I am about to go to the beathseda forums and flip out. Because I am going to have to start over if I cannot get this save to work right again. I reccomend you to not play dawngaurd on your saved file and to start a new one to be safe not to corrupt it like mine.............

No offense, but you mainly have yourself to blame for that. Save corruptions, while very unlikely in the situation you're describing, have always been an issue for TES/Fallout games. Thus, you should ALWAYS backup your saves before you do anything that introduces something new into the game, whether it's a new mod, a DLC plugin or even after removing mods. While the gamesave files tend to get very bloated, you can easily compress them down into a rar archive or something, as you will likely cut down over half the size of your collection of saves just by doing that.

Now, that being said I find it hard to believe that loading the dawngaurd plugin simply "broke" you're save. What's more likely to be causing the issues would be any mods you've installed that conflict with the data in your dawnguard plugin. If you have any mods installed, I'd suggest you turn off anything that modifies your characters behavior, or anything that had made changes in an area that is now used during the dawnguard quest. Most graphics mods like texture replacements or FXAA injectors should be fine, just be weary of any plugins that might be similar to the DLC itself.

Snip

am wondering myself if Dawnguard is just too much of a mod clashing headache to continue with...

Dawnguard is certainly a mod clashing headache, the Vampire/Dawnguard's main quests may or may not be unstable with my current build as I stopped doing them after becoming a VL - but with the patches in my signature (and turning off any sneak related mods such as Duel - Combat Realism or using a invisability spell such as the one given by better vampire's by bre during your first VL transformation in the tutorial) I've been able to go around Skyrim itself enjoying the DLC's additions glitch free; well, the crossbow & VL powers I mean - avoiding the quests for now just to relax.

40 mods and loving it! =D

The only mods to avoid until compatible seem to be Custom Races + dD Enhanced Blood + Sneak/Detection changing mods (or use workaround/turn off before VL tutorial)

It's not bad at all, though some mods may randomly break things.. supposedly a 'glowing books' mod broke unrelenting force.. I don't .. my head.. even.. ow..owwww... *huff*

Satorinu....do the Sneak Mods effect Dawnguard if you don't become a Vamp Lord?.....I was siding with the Dawnguard (am a Werewolf and don't have any interest myself in playing a Vamp)...I do use two Sneak Mods....'Sneak Tools' and 'Assassins Pack'....the Sneak Tools allows my Dovahkin to have the option of 'Slit Throat' if he successfully sneaks up behind an NPC with his blade drawn...(is very awesome.... :happy: ....) and Assassins Pack adds some minor but rather effective buffs to some of the Perk Trees....I have shed a number of mods for Dawnguard, but those I have left are Mods I would certainly rather keep and do away with Dawnguard instead.

Whats happening in my game:

1/ I was doing mostly fine with the Dawnguard DLC until I left the Soul Cairn (my Dovahkin did not choose the vampire option)....the first sign of trouble was directly after the Soul Cairn, he tried to collect a Dawnguard recruit and the recruit attacked him...so fast travelled to Fort Dawnguard after escaping the recruit (did not kill him or harm him in any way) and all the Dawnguard attacked my Dovahkin when he entered there Fort.

2/ Since I loaded Dawnguard in, my ability to start my game has been very temperamental....When I click on 'Continue' the game CTD's, but found I could get into the game using the 'Load' option instead...but sometimes it reverses itself and the complete opposite happens...I am concerned that eventually this bug is going to crash my game altogether.

3/ I have had a frps drop...nothing major, but noticed.

I have looked at you spoiler (thank you for that Satorinu....very much appreciated) and have received the same information elsewhere in regards to the Dawnguard turning on my Dovahkin...but haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet, am hoping to do so today.

Edited by StayFrosty05