Attaching a bound effect and recoloring it

Hello, any kind help or guidance would be appreciated.

I'm looking to have a follower use a custom sword -- a daedric sword -- to activate a bound sword effect (should be easy since the bound sword is a daedric) once the NPC starts to use it. I'm guessing a script is involved, either attached to the magic effect and/or the weapon itself. I'm also hoping to figure out how to recolor the bound effect from the regular blue tone to a green color. Does anyone know of a good tutorial on this? Or know where in the CK I'm to look to change the color? Thanks!

What I have tried already is looking at some mods and how they have done it but can't seem to pinpoint where to recolor.

Again thanks for any assistance!

UPDATE: I believe I found the where I need to recolor the bound sound effect -- within the boundswordencheffects.nif itself.

https://imgur.com/W4EF4EX

Edited by justinglen75

The recolor shouldn't be too complicated. All it is is a DTX5 textured Daedric Sword. So, assuming this, just find the textures, and rexture them as you please, making sure you Alpha channel them properly and export with DTX5 (or is it DXT5?) compression. I haven't been able to find the texture myself, but supposedly the texture file is BoundSword01. Guess I haven't extracted it yet. As far as bounding the sword, do you want it done on equip? On weapon draw? Either way, the script would be attached to the weapon itself.

I've a feeling it's not that simple.

The model for the bound sword points to a nif that has no normal textures. instead it uses textures\effects\gradients\gradShockRune.dds and textures\effects\darkSwirl.dds, in a similar way to how the effects for destruction spells are set up.

To alter these is easy enough, you may need to edit both of these, alter the colour to suit, rename and save. You then have to manually alter these in Nifskope. rename that mesh and save... but that'll just get you a bound sword that can't be picked up in the game, albeit one with your lovely new colours!

What I think you are after (if I've understood the post correctly) is a solid playable daedric sword that has this effect superimposed on top of it . That I don't know how to do, unless copying the entire 0BSfade node from the modified bound sword and pasting it into the 0BSfadeNode of a playable Daedric sword will work.

I somehow doubt that this will work since this will also carry over all the branches that you don't need, such as BHKrigidBody and BHKcollisionObject. it may not even line up correctly with the playable weapon, even if it does work... which would look crazy... weapon in one place, effect 6 inches away!

If this is the way to do it, someone else better than me with Nifskope will need to jump in.

If my description of how to alter the colour of a bound sword helps, that's great. I've done this to make purple flames for dwarven flamethrowers and it works... believe me it's a lot more laborious than the sword looks like... there are several nifs that need to be edited for the casting effect, effect itself, impact effect and impact debris effects... it was a pig to do but it worked, simply by retexturing these FX textures and applying them to every point in each nif that called for them. Lovely purple fire that toasts every player, regardless of resistances... ouch!

I understand what you're saying Cumbrian, I checked the Nif in Nifskope as well. The texture I'm referring to is listed in the Creation Kit as a replaceable texture. So using a texture set, you should be able to bypass the need to alter it in NifSkope. However, I could, of course, be mistaken. I would imagine the bound sword uses the same texture as the original, but again, could be mistaken. If so, a simple altering of that with GIMP or Photoshop, adding in an Alpha channel and exporting it as DXT5 should work when used as a texture set. Half tempted to give it a go, but my son wants to play some games, so let me know how it turns out Justin!

Hi Rizalgar.

All I did was open the nif for the bound sword. I tried to look for that texture you mentioned but couldn't find it, which is odd because I've unpacked every mesh and texture for Skyrim and SkyrimSe and have them all stored on a separate drive. Certainly that looks easier but I wonder why neither of us can find it? Unless we're both equally bad at looking for things...

... now where did I put my tin of lager, I'm sure it was here a moment ago!

Interesting idea -- you are correct, I basically want a normal daedric sword (that can be picked up) to change into a bound (daedric) sword -- OR a bound-like sword -- when it's either wielded by the player or an NPC <--the original owner) and with green color tones instead of the vanilla blue/purple tones. The visual effect would then turn off when the weapon is sheathed. I do see the textures you're speaking of.

I looked at the boundswordencheffects.nif file in NifSkope and there is a texture set, not sure if that's what you'll are talking about:

https://imgur.com/Ck1vdU1

daedricsword.dds

daedricsword_n.dds

fxwhite.dds

ore_ebony.dds

daedricsword_m.dds

I totally appreciate the input, and the dwarven flamethrowers sound pretty sweet.
@Rizalgar I appreciate yours as well!

I've a feeling it's not that simple.

The model for the bound sword points to a nif that has no normal textures. instead it uses textures\effects\gradients\gradShockRune.dds and textures\effects\darkSwirl.dds, in a similar way to how the effects for destruction spells are set up.

To alter these is easy enough, you may need to edit both of these, alter the colour to suit, rename and save. You then have to manually alter these in Nifskope. rename that mesh and save... but that'll just get you a bound sword that can't be picked up in the game, albeit one with your lovely new colours!

What I think you are after (if I've understood the post correctly) is a solid playable daedric sword that has this effect superimposed on top of it . That I don't know how to do, unless copying the entire 0BSfade node from the modified bound sword and pasting it into the 0BSfadeNode of a playable Daedric sword will work.

I somehow doubt that this will work since this will also carry over all the branches that you don't need, such as BHKrigidBody and BHKcollisionObject. it may not even line up correctly with the playable weapon, even if it does work... which would look crazy... weapon in one place, effect 6 inches away!

If this is the way to do it, someone else better than me with Nifskope will need to jump in.

If my description of how to alter the colour of a bound sword helps, that's great. I've done this to make purple flames for dwarven flamethrowers and it works... believe me it's a lot more laborious than the sword looks like... there are several nifs that need to be edited for the casting effect, effect itself, impact effect and impact debris effects... it was a pig to do but it worked, simply by retexturing these FX textures and applying them to every point in each nif that called for them. Lovely purple fire that toasts every player, regardless of resistances... ouch!