Dragon's Dogma vs Skyrim

billyro

Vindekkar - Everything they carry is (supposed to) end up in your storage chest when they die.

I thought the pawns were designed specifically to circumvent the whole "This talking head is not a fleshed character" because that even fits lore. They aren't fleshed out, because they literally are not supposed to have their own desires or conflicts. I thought that was a really clever workaround for it.

On XBox, I didn't notice any "fuzzy resolution" may have worked better on that.

• 3 weeks later...

then yes. as long as you have an HD TV (which is it has an HDMI port, then im assuming its an HD TV lol)

i got one for my PS3. actually heres a cool little anecdote.

when i first got my PS3, it came with MGS4, which is probably the best looking game on the console to date. and i was on an old Tube TV. i couldnt make out some of the finer details so i saved up an went out and bought a nice flatscreen LCD HDTV (which isnt so flat compared to TVs now, its like 5-6 years old now) the difference was amazing switching TVs. then sometime later i decided to buy an HDMI cord and i swear the difference between that was greater then the difference between TVs. i went back to regular once cause i was trying something, and non HDMI is just such crap. everything is big and blocky and ya.

so basically what im saying, is get an HDMI cable, it could mean a world of difference. (though it depends on how old ur TV is. as i said, even though mine is a nice LCD HDTV, its still like 5 years old. if yours is only like a year old, it might look better even without HDMI idk the again, maybe not :P)

Reached lvl 36 last night and killed my 1st Griffin out of pure luck lol. I was about to retreat 5 minutes or so into the fight when my Mage pawn finally decided to use her fire spells. Oh, and fighting hordes of Direwolves at night without my Stryder is a pain.

then yes. as long as you have an HD TV (which is it has an HDMI port, then im assuming its an HD TV lol)

i got one for my PS3. actually heres a cool little anecdote.

when i first got my PS3, it came with MGS4, which is probably the best looking game on the console to date. and i was on an old Tube TV. i couldnt make out some of the finer details so i saved up an went out and bought a nice flatscreen LCD HDTV (which isnt so flat compared to TVs now, its like 5-6 years old now) the difference was amazing switching TVs. then sometime later i decided to buy an HDMI cord and i swear the difference between that was greater then the difference between TVs. i went back to regular once cause i was trying something, and non HDMI is just such crap. everything is big and blocky and ya.

so basically what im saying, is get an HDMI cable, it could mean a world of difference. (though it depends on how old ur TV is. as i said, even though mine is a nice LCD HDTV, its still like 5 years old. if yours is only like a year old, it might look better even without HDMI idk the again, maybe not :P)

Yeah, I got an HDMI cable a few days ago. It looks a lot finer, I must say. I sit pretty far from the TV so I guess I don't notice it as much, but at least it is still an improvement.

Reached lvl 36 last night and killed my 1st Griffin out of pure luck lol. I was about to retreat 5 minutes or so into the fight when my Mage pawn finally decided to use her fire spells. Oh, and fighting hordes of Direwolves at night without my Stryder is a pain.

Wolves and harpies are the most annoying enemies in the game IMO. :P

I'm currently level 91 (New Game++) and I just breeze through all the enemies now. The only challenges are hydras and dragons, but the game is still fun (I feel like a god, and I damn well earned to). I've still got the Ur-Dragon to kill, though...

EDIT: Killed the Ur-Dragon. He fled six times, but I killed him. Also, finally reached level 100. :]

Also also, I just thought I'd mention that the ending of Dragon's Dogma is one of the best endings of the games I've played. It truly is unique, and the second time you beat it (offline mode) you get a pleasant surprise. Plus the dialogue is very well written, especially for a translated game.

Edited by billyro

• 5 weeks later...

I downloaded the Dragon's Dogma demo, and so far I've gotten more fun out of it than the full version of Skyrim. :/ Go figure. I like that you can slide down steep slopes, and climb on rocks and things. It seems like that should be in any modern open world game. It's a long demo as well, I spent about 7 hours on it before finding [almost] everything in the starting village and hitting the demo level cap. I beat the full single-player of a few of my games in less time than that, lol.

So far I've been impressed. The graphics are great for a console game, so they're tolerable compared to my mid-range pc. (Finally, a PS3 game that uses some texture filtering.) It helps though that I have a 720p tv, so I don't have to upscale it. There are dynamic sun shafts, full dynamic shadows, and hair and cloth physics. The combat's solid. It hasn't reached a Demon's Souls-esque level of precision, but it's responsive enough that it doesn't feel cheap or hack'n'slashy, and the ability of players to climb on bosses is a nice way to balance the threat of facing them with melee. The pawns are surprisingly competent. They follow the player just about anywhere, even on the trickier ledges and rooftops, and their advice is actually useful most of the time. (example: they'll mull over quests and give you an idea about how to complete them, or they'll learn from the environment for later use)

Having played Monster Hunter, Shadow of the Colossus, and Two Worlds 2, I'd call Dragon's Dogma a mix of the good aspects of all three. Take SotC's bosses, Monster Hunter's climbing, combat, and resource gathering, and Two World 2's open world and crafting, and you'll have a pretty solid idea of how Dragon's Dogma plays. Then add the pawns, two of which are always temporary, one of which stays the full game as a companion, and they have AI that's actually good for once.

This might be the last game I buy for my PS3, considering that there may not be another good action/adventure rpg for the platform after this. That's mostly the genre I play.

Edited by Rennn