Combat Stutter Help Needed (in vanilla, and still after trying out several mods)

darvlok

I tried out several things to stop the stutter in Oblivion, but cannot seem to get it to go away. It is the same for humanoid and creatures that I attack (or get attacked by). Does anyone got any hidden gem tricks?

What I mean with stutter is: everything freezes for about 1-5 seconds before combat and 1-5 seconds after combat and only combat when I am targeted so I can view combat without freezes.

Specs:

Video :Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 TI

Chip: Intel Core I5 4690K

RAM: 24 GB

Storage: HDD and SSD same results

Sound: Sound Blaster Cinema 2 (Realtek)

Edited by darvlok

Does it still happen when you have all music disabled?

Make certain you have all effects turned off in the Realtek control panel (so no concert hall, reverb etc).

Does it still happen when you have all music disabled?

Make certain you have all effects turned off in the Realtek control panel (so no concert hall, reverb etc).

All sound was turned off and turned effects off to and still the stutter continues....

Well I am done with this game, after trying out most mods that said they would stop the stutter and did nothing and after many re-installs I just give up.

Edited by darvlok

By turning off I didn't mean turn the volume down to zero ... I meant turn the sounds/music off in Oblivion.ini (NOT in Oblivion_Default.ini to avoid any confusion).

What that does is test to see whether or not your Realtek sound is behind the problem ... I have seen that be the situation in similar cases to yours.

What that does is test to see whether or not your Realtek sound is behind the problem ... I have seen that be the situation in similar cases to yours.

It is indeed the sound, I put everything in the ini on zero and I had no stutters at all.

My second test with everything on standard except bSoundEnabled=0, resulted in no stutters at all. So it is 100% a sound problem.

Third test with only bMusicEnabled=0 resulted in no stutters at all.

bMusicEnabled=1 and bSoundEnabled=1 does not work

bMusicEnabled=0 and bSoundEnabled=1 Works

bMusicEnabled=1 and bSoundEnabled=0 Works

Edited by darvlok

As a next step you could compare the version of Realtek drivers you have installed for those that are listed as compatible with your Realtek chipset on the Realtek website. The latest version listed is version 2.82.

If you look on the Realtek audio drivers download site ( https://realtek-download.com/download-hd/ ) you'll see a link to the Readme at the bottom of the list, and if you scroll down to page 10 you'll find the Realtek chipsets that are supported under that driver version says that it supports all chipset versions (in fact you need to go back to version 2.79 before you find that the supported chipsets are outlined individually as seen on page 31 & 32).

Back when I had a laptop with a Realtek chipset you needed to go through a complete Windows Control Panel uninstall/reboot/install new version cycle (which was a bit of a pain in the butt ... it was a Windows Vista operating system machine, so you can see I was working with early versions of the Realtek drivers). From what I read on page 2 of the readme in the Update Driver section it takes care of removing drivers automatically by running Setup.exe, rebooting when prompted and then it continues and finishes the new driver installation after restarting.

I would start by confirming that you are not already at the latest version (in other words I only suggest installing version 2.82 if you currently at an older driver version).

Two other avenues to explore (perhaps before doing the driver upgrade if you aren't currently at the latest version) is to check your Oblivion.ini for the current settings for bDSoundHWAcceleration (zero is disabled, 1 is enabled) and iMaxImpactSoundCount (will probably be set at 32, you could try setting it lower such as 24 or 16 to see if it helps).

The last possibility I can think of to suggest is an OBSE plugin named Trifle. One of the options it offers is the ability to turn off just the combat music (my theory here is that your problem is stemming from some problem related to just the game playing combat music, which in the default game starts often when an enemy is still some distance away but after they have detected you ... kind of fits with your reported symptoms).

As a next step you could compare the version of Realtek drivers you have installed for those that are listed as compatible with your Realtek chipset on the Realtek website. The latest version listed is version 2.82.

If you look on the Realtek audio drivers download site ( https://realtek-download.com/download-hd/ ) you'll see a link to the Readme at the bottom of the list, and if you scroll down to page 10 you'll find the Realtek chipsets that are supported under that driver version says that it supports all chipset versions (in fact you need to go back to version 2.79 before you find that the supported chipsets are outlined individually as seen on page 31 & 32).

Back when I had a laptop with a Realtek chipset you needed to go through a complete Windows Control Panel uninstall/reboot/install new version cycle (which was a bit of a pain in the butt ... it was a Windows Vista operating system machine, so you can see I was working with early versions of the Realtek drivers). From what I read on page 2 of the readme in the Update Driver section it takes care of removing drivers automatically by running Setup.exe, rebooting when prompted and then it continues and finishes the new driver installation after restarting.

I would start by confirming that you are not already at the latest version (in other words I only suggest installing version 2.82 if you currently at an older driver version).

Two other avenues to explore (perhaps before doing the driver upgrade if you aren't currently at the latest version) is to check your Oblivion.ini for the current settings for bDSoundHWAcceleration (zero is disabled, 1 is enabled) and iMaxImpactSoundCount (will probably be set at 32, you could try setting it lower such as 24 or 16 to see if it helps).

The last possibility I can think of to suggest is an OBSE plugin named Trifle. One of the options it offers is the ability to turn off just the combat music (my theory here is that your problem is stemming from some problem related to just the game playing combat music, which in the default game starts often when an enemy is still some distance away but after they have detected you ... kind of fits with your reported symptoms).

I installed the latestes version but did not effect the combat freezes.

Trifle fixes the constant combat freezes but then it freezes the game at random points.

Thanks for your help and advice!

Edited by darvlok