Failed armor mashup, would like to share to nexus as a modders resource

wildgravity

So a couple years ago, I obtained permission from various mod authors to release armor mashup mods using their assets, but at the time, I went through a serious life change (break up) lost access to my computer, lost all my work, and wasnt able to complete the project at the time, let alone release it. Now, I have my own computer, Ive revisited new vegas to play new california, (would recommend) and as a result, have dug out whatever i have left over from that old armor mashup project, Ive decided to gather up my new vegas assets ive collected over the years, and upload them as a stash.

I have one armor mashup asset, which I -adore- but have never been able to use, specifically because of the feet on the body mesh clipping through the boots I want to use in the mash-up. I have never been able to find a suitable replacer for the body mesh, or a solution for the clipping, so I cant use the armor in game. :(

I don't know much about blender, though I know what I basically would need to do to make the armor wearable (cutting off parts of the body mesh that clips with the armor ive created. But i just dont have the know how, and Im not sure I have the time.

i've never passed the tinkering phase of blender, so I really dont know how to do that myself, but I think its a crying shame to let the armor mashup go to waste, ive already obtained my permissions, so I figured I'd release the assets as a modders resource for anyone who has the know how that might take a shine to what ive been able to cobble together.

(i get really into modding certain games for a while, then get distracted by other games so I have oodles of unused resources ive collected over the years)

SO basically what I need is someone to examine my file structure for this resource and make sure its appearing properly and functioning properly before I upload it to the nexus. I feel like I probably messed this up, and dont want to upload this file until it least works correctly for people who might be able to use it.

so if you can tell me what i did, and how to fix that that would be great. Of course I'll give you credit.

This forums been super awesome about helping me in the past, so thank you in advance, you all rule.

I call it "wasteland pop star" armor for no adequate reason.
If my file attachment didnt work, heres a direct link to google docs.

!The file includes!

- My mashup

- the body mesh that fits the armor but clips

- every texture used in my mashup

- a credit list

- screenshots of the armor in nifskope.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MDjO-iCyI91pRgEhmPBk1qTwOSoaj1Sj/view?usp=sharing

!Please note!

because it was a couple years ago, im reaching out to the mod authors again.

I've never modded fallout, but I have been led to understand the mesh/texture thing is the same as skyrim. If that's so, check youtube for a tutorial by Elianora, about making certain parts of armor invisible, by adding an alpha property to the mesh and cutting that part out of the corresponding texture. Instead of using it on the boots, use it on the feet that come with the base body in the mashup. Then extract a foot texture, cut out enough that it won't show through the boot, save with a unique name, and direct the foot/body mesh to use that texture instead of vanilla.

Since it is a problem with the feet clipping, just import the .nif into blender and remove the vertex that clip. There is no need to do anything with the textures. This is something I have done hundreds of times.

Since it is a problem with the feet clipping, just import the .nif into blender and remove the vertex that clip. There is no need to do anything with the textures. This is something I have done hundreds of times.

as stated in the post, i have extremely limited blender knowledge, (as in none) so ive never actually messed with a mesh in blender, but am actually totally up for learning how to do that, (ive just never used blender for a project before, so I would be starting from scratch) if you could suggest a good tutorial to follow for beginners, i'd be super appreciative!

edit* Hit enter too soon

Edited by wildgravity

I've never modded fallout, but I have been led to understand the mesh/texture thing is the same as skyrim. If that's so, check youtube for a tutorial by Elianora, about making certain parts of armor invisible, by adding an alpha property to the mesh and cutting that part out of the corresponding texture. Instead of using it on the boots, use it on the feet that come with the base body in the mashup. Then extract a foot texture, cut out enough that it won't show through the boot, save with a unique name, and direct the foot/body mesh to use that texture instead of vanilla.

I would be delighted to look at that tutorial, i am super inexperienced with meshes. do you know the name of this tutorial?

Thank you! thats extremely helpful to my endeavors. Ive successfully hidden the vertices that are clipping from blender but I cant export the nif! I have the right options selected as far as I can tell from the tutorials but when I hit export, nothing is produced. So thats where this project is atm

Before exporting the .nif, make sure you have the entire object highlighted. What I do is press the "a" key and watch the screen. If the pink outlines disappear, I press "a" again. If they don't, I export as usual.

Also, double check the path you are using to export. I have found that at times after doing a few edits, I will forget to change the path and export to the wrong location.

Before exporting the .nif, make sure you have the entire object highlighted. What I do is press the "a" key and watch the screen. If the pink outlines disappear, I press "a" again. If they don't, I export as usual.

Also, double check the path you are using to export. I have found that at times after doing a few edits, I will forget to change the path and export to the wrong location.

where should i be exporting too?

That depends on how you organize your work. I usually work with downloaded files in the "Downloads" folder. I add a number to the file I am exporting and then export it to the same folder from which I imported it.

If I work on something like adding bounce animation to a T6M body, I would assign a number to the exported .nif. That way I am not bloating the game files. When I have finished all the work on the file, I would then copy it to the appropriate game folder and rename it.