But seriously, who do you think really won the civil war?

Relativelybest

It just occured to me that no matter which side you fought on (if you did at all) and regardless if you killed Ulfric or Tullius, eventually Bethesda is going to have to make their own commitment on the issue. At least if they want to make another Elder Scrolls game.

I mean, it's not like the secession of an entire province is a minor issue they can just gloss over. Wether or not the Empire lost Skyrim is going to have a major effect on how history in Tamriel unfolds. This is going into the lore, no way around it.

So what do you guys think? When push comes to shove, which scenario is most likely to end up being the "real" one?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on when they put the next game, if the Thalmor launch a second Great War it's likely that whichever side wins the civil war in Skyrim, they'll be helping the empire fight against the Thalmor. Which may be a catalyst for Skyrim rejoining the Empire if the Stormcloaks win the Civil War. And in terms of stated lore (books, NPC dialogue, ect) they can keep it ambiguous as to who actually won.

Bethesda is probably going to do the same thing they did with Daggerfall.... use a Dragonbreak to make BOTH endings happen at the same time.

The actions of Tullius, Ulfric, and the Dvoahiin are a mirror of the actions taken by Tiber Septim, Ysmir Wulfharth, and Zurin Arctus, that caused those three to merge into Talos who is Lorkhan reborn.

Such actions are normally heralded by an event of magnitude such as a Dragonbreak.

Edited by sajuukkhar9000

I don't think that Beth would even need to resort to a dragonbreak to make it come out any way they want. No matter which side you choose, there is no firm conclusion to the civil war during the time period covered by the game. If you pick Stormcloak, Ulfric is still not officially on the throne at the end of the storyline, Elisif and the deposed imperial jarls are still alive, and the Empire still has troops scattered around Skyrim and might still kill Ulfric before he can become High King. If you pick the Empire, the Stormcloaks still have not been entirely crushed, the deposed rebel jarls are still alive, and a new rebel leader might arise, leading to the death of Tullius in the near future.

So the next game could legitimately claim either side as the ultimate victor, with both Tullius and Ulfric being killed before the civil war was finally over for good. The history book covering the war doesn't have to say which one died first, so both player choices would fit either canon equally well without the need for a dragonbreak.

Likewise, the assassination of Titus Mede II can be canon no matter which choice a player makes regarding the DB quest line. The history books can simply say that there are rumors that the Dragonborn was involved, but no solid proof. Thus, any choice the player makes fits the canon that TM II was assassinated in Solitude.

Here's what happens...

The civil war continues until the Thalmor decide to get involved...

And they conquer both Cyrodil and Skyrim, leaving no winner.

Morrowind and the remaining free countries are left to join together in fighting the Thalmor.

The end.

But in my game... The Stormcloaks win.

I wonder why they didn't join and fight AGAINST the Thalmor now that they have The Dragonborn.

I know that they already did this,Ulfric was part of The Empire but,now they have the element of surprise!The Thalmor used the element of surprise to attack the Empire,so they attacked without the possibility of the Empire defending himself.This is what happens to me:

Ulfric realize that he don't have any change of fighting the Thalmor and is forgiven until the end of the Second Great War.(winning or not)

The Dragonborn side with The Empire.

The Second Great War begins with a powerful attack against the Thalmor.

The Empire,Ulfric Stormcloak and The Dragonborn defeat the Thalmor.

Ulfric betrays The Empire and try to take the Throne of Emperor.

Ulfric Stormcloak is killed by The Dragonborn.

The Dragonborn is rewarded with the title of Champion of Tamriel. :tongue:

Edited by Dovahkiin069

Better yet, after helping either side, the Dragonborn betrays the other and kills the leaders, and then uses his influence to take over Skyrim, and then the Empire. As the new Emperor, the Dragonborn defeats the Thalmor and becomes the reincarnation of Talos when he conquers all of Tamriel. Next stop, the 16 realms of Oblivion.

Here's what happens...

The civil war continues until the Thalmor decide to get involved...

And they conquer both Cyrodil and Skyrim, leaving no winner.

Morrowind and the remaining free countries are left to join together in fighting the Thalmor.

The end.

But in my game... The Stormcloaks win.

Morrowind isn't even a country anymore is it? The Khajiit are allied to the Thalmor and the Argonians would probably only fight if they were attacked first.

Hammerfell would fall eventually too.