Screenshot Community Event: The Final Presentation

BigBizkit

In response to post #69317581. #69317731, #69318976, #69325661 are all replies on the same post.

kaldaar wrote: Oops... Am I late ?

Seems to be more
"Conflict and Struggle"
in the event comments
than in some screenies...

A different opinion always sounds like an aggression for some folks down here.
I hope some of them "artists" will never have to deal with the real "art world"
a scary world with a lot of criticism, good and bad, with many different opinions, often far from theirs...
I know, young kids usually don't accept criticism...

When everybody think the same way isn't it called a hive mind ? Boring.
When only one opinion is tolerated isn't it called totalitarianism ? Frightening.

Maybe you should make an exhibit instead of a contest.
Nothing to win, never!, no ranking nor "best 3", only sharing.
When artists wait for a prize, art dies and so comes the time of financials, billionaires and Jeff Koons.

Maybe you should work with other gamers sites to "publish" screenshots exhibitions in the future, in more than one place.
It will feed ego for sure. Some people need that. Fine.

Things can't work when you put "art" and "competition" at the same place.
Art prizes are bull...t.
You will only flatter egos. But it will not make this hobby grow as an art.
It's like ice and fire,
(Hearth Wind & Fire you say? cool)
tea and coffee,
Tom & Jerry,
my ex-wife and me,
"It just don't work"

I'm truly surprised to see so many people who call themselves "artists" involved in a kind of "art contest".
And don't tell me "It's not a contest it's an Event" come on, there's a ranking, a "jury selection"!
Ranking art is just a matter of profit balance, not a matter of art itself.
How one can say "this one deserve the first place and not this one".
What is the rating chart please ? Can you rate a feeling, an emotion?
Oh, is there a kind of "Glasgow emotional scale" to rate art ?
So Guernica deserves a 10 and Koons balloon dog deserves nothing; both are artists.
Who is the best Dali or Picasso ?
Or it is only a matter of skills and techniques mastery?

So maybe you should say it's not for newcomers,
only for "officially recognized and praised talented screenarcher" (still don't know what it is...)
Screen-technicians I would say.
(best to be in the jury friends list? okay fair enough, that's life)

But it is only my opinion,
I will never ask anyone to agree with me
and maybe I deserve tar and feathers for that... again.
And maybe this post will be deleted...

Would be glad to have the opinion of people who can flight above the clouds aka the organizers of the event.

Thanks for struggling.
Asaforg wrote: I'm really glad you posted this here too. :thumbsup:
kaldaar wrote: And I've even shaved my body hair for the next "tar and feathers" event.
And like always, people will read and understand the opposite of what I'm saying ;-)
ajhardy wrote: I can not speak for the art world, but in academia you can count on your best friends ripping you to shreds. If they don't do that, then they are not your friends because they are beating the folks that don't like you to the punch. Your friend criticize nicely, your enemies do it viciously. What needs to be said, is that valid criticism comments on the work and not the person. And good criticism bears in mind that you are dealing with another human being that deserves the same dignity as you feel you need. Great criticism is an art form and few achieve it because it addresses the work in a way that improves it and it leaves the individual validated. It is very easy to forget that the person you are dealing with here actually is a person. This is such an impersonal means of communicating on the internet that we can treat people as something much less than human and make them just an object to be dealt with.

Nicely said.
So?
I don't really catch the meaning of your post regarding the subject of mine.
But I prolly missed something and you're totally on the right side... English is not my language.

So to be clear, I mainly say I was disappointed to see the word "art" with the word "contest" and surprised to see so few "artists" not disappointed like me.
I wasn't talking about persons but about behaviors ( sorry Faculty of Psychologies remnants, my bad )

So even if what you say is true and very interesting, it as nothing to do with the subject of my post once more.
Shouldn't you try to talk about things I point in my post?

edited part,
Now, considering you're talking about what I said about the fact that critics are not easily accepted here on Nexus, I got you. I mean I got your idea. Edited by kaldaar

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #69317581. #69317731, #69318976, #69325661, #69327061, #69328291 are all replies on the same post.

Seems to be more
"Conflict and Struggle"
in the event comments

a scary world with a lot of criticism, good and bad, with many different opinions, often far from theirs...

When only one opinion is tolerated isn't it called totalitarianism ? Frightening.

When artists wait for a prize, art dies and so comes the time of financials, billionaires and Jeff Koons.

Maybe you should work with other gamers sites to "publish" screenshots exhibitions in the future, in more than one place.

Art prizes are bull...t.
It's like ice and fire,
tea and coffee,
Tom & Jerry,
my ex-wife and me,
"It just don't work"

I'm truly surprised to see so many people who call themselves "artists" involved in a kind of "art contest".
And don't tell me "It's not a contest it's an Event" come on, there's a ranking, a "jury selection"!
So Guernica deserves a 10 and Koons balloon dog deserves nothing; both are artists.

only for "officially recognized and praised talented screenarcher" (still don't know what it is...)

Would be glad to have the opinion of people who can flight above the clouds aka the organizers of the event.

Thanks for struggling.
kaldaar wrote: And I've even shaved my body hair for the next "tar and feathers" event.
And like always, people will read and understand the opposite of what I'm saying ;-)
ajhardy wrote: I can not speak for the art world, but in academia you can count on your best friends ripping you to shreds. If they don't do that, then they are not your friends because they are beating the folks that don't like you to the punch. Your friend criticize nicely, your enemies do it viciously. What needs to be said, is that valid criticism comments on the work and not the person. And good criticism bears in mind that you are dealing with another human being that deserves the same dignity as you feel you need. Great criticism is an art form and few achieve it because it addresses the work in a way that improves it and it leaves the individual validated. It is very easy to forget that the person you are dealing with here actually is a person. This is such an impersonal means of communicating on the internet that we can treat people as something much less than human and make them just an object to be dealt with.
kaldaar wrote: Nicely said.
So?
But I prolly missed something and you're totally on the right side... English is not my language.

So to be clear, I mainly say I was disappointed to see the word "art" with the word "contest" and surprised to see so few "artists" not disappointed like me.
I wasn't talking about persons but about behaviors ( sorry Faculty of Psychologies remnants, my bad )

So even if what you say is true and very interesting, it as nothing to do with the subject of my post once more.

edited part,
Now, considering you're talking about what I said about the fact that critics are not easily accepted here on Nexus, I got you. I mean I got your idea.
kaldaar wrote: Don't know what you drink but I want the same thing ;-)

When I become Princess of Terra I will abolish all forms of click "likes"
Also twitter.

The world is conversationally crippled, communication is only what is allowed, and the angry mob has hedge trimmers and electric torches to enforce the collective and revenge the pains of the triggered.

I come from an extended family of lifer infantry Non-Coms and WOs. Define "harsh critique" for me.. ok? I think even the most benign construction site "critique" would leave some rocking in a catatonic state.

And yet.. retail art "critique" would give both of them a run for the money for savagely blunt teardowns. Keep your heart in your chest and not on your sleeve. Edited by TeofaTsavo

In response to post #69317581. #69317731, #69318976, #69325661, #69327061, #69328151 are all replies on the same post.

Seems to be more
"Conflict and Struggle"
in the event comments

Art prizes are bull...t.
It's like ice and fire,
tea and coffee,
Tom & Jerry,
my ex-wife and me,
"It just don't work"

Thanks for struggling.
So?

edited part,
Now, considering you're talking about what I said about the fact that critics are not easily accepted here on Nexus, I got you. I mean I got your idea.
TeofaTsavo wrote: When I become Princess of Terra I will abolish all forms of click "likes"
Also twitter.

The world is conversationally crippled, communication is only what is allowed, and the angry mob has hedge trimmers and electric torches to enforce the collective and revenge the pains of the triggered.

I come from an extended family of lifer infantry Non-Coms. Define "harsh critique" for me.. ok? I think even the most benign construction site would leave some rocking in a catatonic state.

Don't know what you drink but I want the same thing ;-)

In response to post #69298076. #69307236 is also a reply to the same post.

polingc wrote:

Wow! I did not expect to make the final 15, thank you so much for the honor.

Congratulations to the other finalists, prize winners and everyone else who contributed: it was a lot of fun to see so many people from across the Nexus come together for a single large event.

Since I know not everyone wants to read about it, I've hidden my own thoughts about image post-processing. Click the spoiler button to read my ramblings.

Short version: I'm all for it.

Ever since the Nexus screenshot Community Event was announced it was just as quickly criticized for allowing the use of post-processing of images (aka Photoshopped). The criticism, and the very nature of this being a some-what competitive event, led me to try my hand more so at post-processing my own images to create better images. Now that the event is over, and the specter of post-process criticism is rearing its head again, I’ll voice my own opinion on the ‘controversy’.

Please note, this isn’t an essay based solely on the comments of a few individuals. I’ve read discussions in image threads, the Nexus, and on Reddit. This is a collection of my thoughts to the generalized ideas that “Post-Processing shouldn’t be allowed in competitive events”, “Post-Processing is cheating”, “Post-Processing isn’t as worthy as non-processed images”.

1) It’s Art

At the end of the day we’re not marketing professionals beholden to some truth-in-advertising laws wherein we are legally and ethically obliged to present an accurate representation of the games we play. Our games are modded to make them visually far more appealing than they naturally are. Most of us are using external tools like ENBs to further enhance the visual aesthetic, even when those same tools would normally render the game unplayable due to frame rate drop.

My point here is: our images have already been altered past the point of recognition from the vanilla game, post-processing is just another tool on top of everything else to get closer to the idea the creator had when taking the screenshot.

To say that post-processing is ‘cheating’ or somehow unworthy of being included is akin to saying a painter is not allowed to paint over a mistake, or add an additional element later in their creation. It’s to say that an illustrator isn’t allowed to pick up an eraser and remove a mistake. Or perhaps for a more apt comparison, it’s to say that a photographer cannot digitally alter their photograph because that somehow (?) is a violation of artistic ethics and the photograph is no longer a ‘photograph’ but something else, despite its origins being a photograph.

2) It’s a Disservice to Screen Shot Skills

â

Just as it takes time, skill and dedication to do post-processing well, so too does it take to catch a great screen shot. These images began as great screen shots, despite how much or no post-processing was used in their creation. To put such emphasis on post-processing is to say that those other skills don’t matter: how many times have I seen the quip “The best photoshopper wins”? It completely ignores the hours of hard work that went into setting up the screen shots in the first place.

3) Post-Processing Isn’t Just for Professionals

Much of the talk around post-processing has also put a focus on how it’s akin to cheating and it’ll discourage others from contributing. How? Why? When I see a great image I ask myself how did the creator do that? How can I do that? How can I take what I see here and apply it to my own creations to make them better?

And then of course there’s the criticism that it isn’t fair to use post-processing software because not everyone has access to those tools; which is a falsehood so bold it might as well be called a lie.

While Adobe Photoshop is commercial software that one must purchase to use, there are plenty of other free tools all of which fall under the category of post-processing software. After all, ‘post-processing’ just means that: you made changes after the initial screen shot. Want to crop your photo? Want to add in those common black bars to the top and bottom? Want to change the color overlay? Want to stitch some images together to make a collage? These are not excessive demands, and are done in other digital art forms including photography, so why not in screen shots?

Just to name a few: Windows Paint, Windows Photos, GIMP and IrfanView are all post-processing software, and they’re all free. My personal preference is GIMP: it provides a treasure trove of tools to use and is considered to be equally powerful to Adobe Photoshop. There’s ample tutorials online to learn how to use more advanced post-processing tools. Any one, veteran or new comer, can use these tools and if they have the desire, learn advanced functions and practice to become better.

4) It Levels the Field

For all the talk given about how an adept photoeditor could ‘cheat’, no one seems to acknowledge the reverse: an adept mod user (or author) can use their expertise to create images unobtainable by most; whether through knowledge of obscure little known mods, expertise in combining mods, or creating their own to give themselves an advantage unavailable to anyone else.

Additionally, where is the criticism of users who have powerful PCs that can run heavily modded games with hungry ENBs without losing a drop of sweat? Do they not have an advantage, being that they can render more objects on screen, in better detail, than others?

And yet if someone uses Windows Paint to crop an image this is somehow beneath the art form? It’s cheating? If I brighten up a character’s eyes in GIMP it’s cheating, however, using my own mod that I created and made public that can accomplish the same goal, is okay? That’s great for the few hundred people who play Skyrim SE and downloaded my mod. To everyone else, we had an advantage that went unknown, that as far as I know, they could not have replicated save for creating their own mod.

If I change the color overlay in Photoshop, that’s cheating, but using custom LUTs in combination with an ENB that allows for unparalleled control of the image is okay?

Closing Thoughts

Post-Processing is the digital equivalent to turpentine or erasers for painters and illustrators. It lets us cover up mistakes, fix errors, and create better work. Not every work will need it, not every creator will want to use it. That’s fine. But to say that a specific tool is forbidden or else your screen shot is now “not a screen shot but digital art” fails to recognize the very fact that a screen shot is digital art. I believe there is a place for un-altered, raw, screen shots. But that is a specific niche of the much larger art form of digital art.

Going Forward

I immensely enjoyed this event: it brought screen archers together across the Nexus to celebrate the art form and support one another and was a large venue for us to showcase our work. I would have participated whether there was the temptation of a monetary award, or not. This was an event for fun, and I hope the staff will support and host future events like this.

On the note of post-processing software, my opinion should be pretty clear: allow it. You don’t need post-processing software to create a great image, but you do need a great screen shot.

And to finish this diatribe off I’ll present my case in point…

My own image, which I am honored and excited made it into the final 15, is a raw, un-altered screen shot. It is a direct representation of what was on my monitor screen at the time of capture. I used many, many mods in the creation of it, some from sites other than the Nexus. I used a very powerful, customizable ENB. Some mods are obvious (clothing, poses, textures, hair, etc.), others you wouldn’t know are there unless I named them.

To anyone afraid they’re unworthy to contribute unless they use post-processing: no, you’re not.

To anyone thinking they are cheating by using post-processing: no, you’re not.

To anyone thinking they have to use post-processing to be ‘competitive’: no, you don’t.

To anyone curious how this, or that was done: just ask. Screen Archery is an art form and we all benefit when we share our knowledge and experience. And we’re mostly a good bunch of people more than happy to talk about ourselves and how awesome we are.

napoleonofthestump wrote: You know, I'd been planning to write a nice fat essay post on how and why one might want to 'shop their images... and now I don't know if I need to do it any more. Very thorough treatment of the subject here. I hope all manner of folks, pro-, anti-, or agnosti-'shop take the time to dig your words.

The shot I was going to add as a participation for the contest was photoshoped. The glasses and the muzzle flash:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/images/145629

I think that if you can, do it, this kind of contests are great to see things and getting inspired by other people :)
Edited by Caidafuera

In response to post #69317581. #69317731, #69318976, #69325661, #69327061, #69328151, #69328291 are all replies on the same post.

Seems to be more
"Conflict and Struggle"
in the event comments

Art prizes are bull...t.
It's like ice and fire,
tea and coffee,
Tom & Jerry,
my ex-wife and me,
"It just don't work"

Thanks for struggling.
So?

edited part,
TeofaTsavo wrote: When I become Princess of Terra I will abolish all forms of click "likes"
Also twitter.

I come from an extended family of lifer infantry Non-Coms and WOs. Define "harsh critique" for me.. ok? I think even the most benign construction site "critique" would leave some rocking in a catatonic state.

And yet.. retail art "critique" would give both of them a run for the money for savagely blunt teardowns. Keep your heart in your chest and not on your sleeve.
kaldaar wrote: Don't know what you drink but I want the same thing ;-)

speyburn and coffee atm. Tis saturday and I'm not allowed at sr. center bingo anymore.

I've been informed by the Single Malt masters that fruity speyburn is a proper girly scotch.

Actually it's cheap, gives me my unwarranted Single Malt Creds, and is still rank enough where a bottle lasts me six months or more. Edited by TeofaTsavo

In response to post #69340501.

acidzebra wrote:

As someone who primarily uses this site to share and download mods, I had no idea there was such a vibrant "other" community right under my nose lol. Beautiful shots everyone, I enjoyed browsing through.

so now you have a brand new lovely mustache right under your nose ;-)

In response to post #69340501. #69345769 is also a reply to the same post.

acidzebra wrote:

As someone who primarily uses this site to share and download mods, I had no idea there was such a vibrant "other" community right under my nose lol. Beautiful shots everyone, I enjoyed browsing through.

kaldaar wrote: so now you have a brand new lovely mustache right under your nose ;-)

Don't give anything on this insult, acidzebra. Some people just can't deal with being happy. Edited by chimichanga78

In response to post #69340501. #69345769, #69346993 are all replies on the same post.

acidzebra wrote:

kaldaar wrote: so now you have a brand new lovely mustache right under your nose ;-)
chimichanga78 wrote: Don't give anything on this insult, acidzebra. Some people just can't deal with being happy.

having a mustache is an insult?
wow...
you fly too high for me.

In response to post #69340501. #69345769, #69346993, #69349005 are all replies on the same post.

acidzebra wrote:

chimichanga78 wrote: Don't give anything on this insult, acidzebra. Some people just can't deal with being happy.
kaldaar wrote: having a mustache is an insult?
wow...
you fly too high for me.

Wow Chimichanga.

The OP found a new thing.. "right under my nose". Connect... the.... dots. I'll type slowly here... where would one find a new mustache?

Kaldaar was being clever. Not insulting.

You, however, were very purposefully insulting

This is why people post zero comments rather than take 30 mins to ponder whether someone out there will take the most innocuous comment as an insult.

Sorry OP. Your post is nice.

Edited by TeofaTsavo