Screenshot Community Event: The Final Presentation

BigBizkit

In response to post #69425069. #69429485, #69431661, #69478412, #69482452, #69488052, #69517432, #69519962, #69535892 are all replies on the same post.

V1K1N9 wrote:

I like to see myself as something of a photographer, or well, photography hobbyist? heh..

Unfortunately, I kept looking at this event thingy and seemed to feel very uncomfortable and anxious. I obviously wanted to join in but I have always looked at the images and how they are rated / voted / judged / call it what you will (the very thing that this screenshot / image "event" involves - being judged and winners selected over others), anyway I've always looked at how images are rated and it's mostly boobs n ass that get endorsements and then ego boosts and I dunno.. I just get jaded.

Anyway, back on-topic.. being as self imposed jaded as I seem to be, I instantly felt hesitant to 'enter'? this event thingy. I still think it's great and can be fun and all, but I guess I must need more encouragement hehe I dunno <_<

I think my conflict (oops sorry) lies in the title; "Screenshot".

Therein lies the dilemma. Can you edit the screenshot? If the screenshots are being judged and prizes given out, how does the poor guy who can't afford photoshop or happens to be dyslexic and struggles with tiny words on a screen, possibly compete (yes you are unnavoidably in competition here) with those who have super duper photo shop and all that stuff?

<hides under a table>

Fyrcynn wrote: I've attempted explaining why everything you've listed is wrong before and all I've gotten for response was either a "We don't care" or outright harassment. So I wouldn't expect much if you're looking for answers.
TeofaTsavo wrote:
In response to post #69425069. #69429485 is also a reply to the same post.

V1K1N9 wrote:

I like to see myself as something of a photographer, or well, photography hobbyist? heh..

Unfortunately, I kept looking at this event thingy and seemed to feel very uncomfortable and anxious. I obviously wanted to join in but I have always looked at the images and how they are rated / voted / judged / call it what you will (the very thing that this screenshot / image "event" involves - being judged and winners selected over others), anyway I've always looked at how images are rated and it's mostly boobs n ass that get endorsements and then ego boosts and I dunno.. I just get jaded.

Anyway, back on-topic.. being as self imposed jaded as I seem to be, I instantly felt hesitant to 'enter'? this event thingy. I still think it's great and can be fun and all, but I guess I must need more encouragement hehe I dunno <_<

I think my conflict (oops sorry) lies in the title; "Screenshot".

Therein lies the dilemma. Can you edit the screenshot? If the screenshots are being judged and prizes given out, how does the poor guy who can't afford photoshop or happens to be dyslexic and struggles with tiny words on a screen, possibly compete (yes you are unnavoidably in competition here) with those who have super duper photo shop and all that stuff?

<hides under a table>

Fyrcynn wrote: I've attempted explaining why everything you've listed is wrong before and all I've gotten for response was either a "We don't care" or outright harassment. So I wouldn't expect much if you're looking for answers.

You can be assured a lot feel as you do, OP.
Producing copypasta clickbait for like harvesting is a common theme in most digital medium online galleries. The render "communities" are no better, but they do put on tiered contests with much tighter rules for new users generally.

Apparently the consensus here was "carte blanche". While a person can create very nice screens using simple console commands and a basic knowledge of composition and light, unfortunately the usual new user reaction to an established community is a perception that they "need" every bell and whistle. (a common problem in all competition). There is no encouragement or venue here for a new user to establish basic skills with the basic tools.

A good non pretentious basic guide to screenshots.

Also do a search for GIMP, a free imaging program that is more than you need to edit screenshots.

LethalityOne wrote: This trend where people end statements with a question mark needs to end. Also the female form is arguably one of the most beautiful forms in all of creation, as any amazing scenery and deserves it's due in any screen shot competition.
xonedl wrote: First, don't do it for the sake of winning.
Second, how you want to express your creativity or vision is up to you. Don't got tie down by invisible rules or naysayers.
Third, look around Flickr Skyrim groups for ideas of how other people do their shots. Obviously NSFW warning, not all contents are high quality. Nexus gallery? Eh.... if they can do better job of filtering things & make a more attractive UI...
Generally I don't wanna call what I do "screenshots", I just call it "shots" - not only it's more appropriate, also it's easier to write (lel).
//--
As far as software goes, no you don't need photoshop. Microsoft have all you needs - Paint3D & Image Composite Editor (ICE - for panorama purpose). And there are plenty of free apps around on Windows Store. You really won't need anything more than cropping and minor brightness contrast adjustments. We're not painting or drawing things here, but post-processing.
//--
Remember, do this for fun.
I can clearly see the community is steering the whole idea into a completely wrong turn. Is winning really that important?
napoleonofthestump wrote: Well said, Xone.

V1K1N9: Don't sweat the rating game if that's not your bag. Plenty of folks around here don't give a fig about endorsement counts. As far as the contest elements of this event, they were conceived more as incentive to newcomers (some folks really enjoy the competitive element, and some folks will be more motivated to participate in a community event if there's a chance of winning a prize) than as any sort of holy writ on our vaunted opinion of what makes a worthwhile screen-shot. If you're curious about why we chose the images we did, check out the commentary behind the spoiler tags. If you're looking for a no-stakes community theme, might I direct your attention to my and Excellentium's Community Theme events in Fallout and Skyrim, respectively? All are welcome, no post-processing necessary (and no post-processors hassled either).
DaedalusMachina007 wrote: To use a photography term, these are not 'screenshots'. They are 'compositions'.
They are composed, edited, tweaked, altered, and otherwise significantly and materially different from the originals. Each and every single 'composition' here falls under that category.

A 'screenshot' is just that. You hit Print Screen (or equivalent) on the keyboard and save a copy to your local hard drive then upload that picture. No post-processing or other alterations. That's what a screenshot is.

I guess I'll repeat myself: When Nexus wants to do actual screenshot contests instead of 'composition' contests then I'll gladly participate. It will open up such activities to a much wider audience when the barrier to entry is far lower.

EDIT: Using in-game photo tools like the ones in BDO and other games is ok. I'm referring to external/3rd party tools that people may not have the training/time/inclination to use. People seem to forget that Photoshop/GIMP/Blender require a specific skill set.
Fyrcynn wrote: THANK YOU! FINALLY!
TeofaTsavo wrote: Agreed Daedalus.
At what point after a player has added complete location sets, clothing from other games etc etc does an image no longer even remotely resemble a "screenshot"

We already have images that do not contain a single identifiable Skyrim element.

Adding new content isn't the problem. Without added content there would be no modding. The issues start when someone is using image manipulation software to enhance a picture when they could have done the same or even better ingame. Edited by Fyrcynn

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic