I don't even know where to start.

Maelificent

I had the urge to play Skyrim again after years. I have the SE, and for 3 days I've been trying to fix mods and running into issue after issue after issue after issue and I'm about to lose my mind. At first I downloaded a bunch of mods(Mainly around FNIS type of stuff) and I'm getting some T-Pose bugs, wasn't able to fix it(Will worry about it later, have more pressing issues currently). I moved the game out of programsx86 or whatever it is, an since then I've had NONSTOP issues with everything. So basically right now, when I uninstall and reinstall the game, deactivate all my mods(Using Vortex btw) The game runs on vanilla fine. I put all my mods in that don't involve physics(FNIS and anything related, so I don't get the T-Pose bugs), Vortex in the plugin section is saying my DLCs are "dirty" (http://prntscr.com/n8l9wz). When I load the game it gets an error and just closes (I also moved the Vortex folder). I'm incredibly stupid when it comes to anything like this so I'm going to need very detailed and dumbed down information on what I can do, I've been at it for 3 days now.

TL;DR: I moved my Steam folder and my Vortex folder, and now my Dawnguard.esm, Dragonborn.esm, Hearthfires.esm, Update.esm are "dirty" and I don't know how to fix it, and thus the game won't run.

I've been looking at all sorts of cleaning things and downloaded LOAD and SSEE and I don't understand how to do any of it. It was working perfectly fine before I moved the folders.

Edited by Maelificent

Have you dedicated some time to read the Knowledge Base or procedures in this very forum ? Have you dedicated some time to search for threads related to this and several other issues related to Vortex misused by new players ?

Why did you move your game out of ProgramFiles(x86) ? You did not need to do that at all. Do not believe everything you read in Google or YouTube. The great majority of players have theirs games installed in its default path / directory and there are no issues reported. I am one of them. Never had any and so far so good.

If for any reason you want to leave your game installed outside ProgramFiles(x86)\Steam\Steamapps\Common, just make sure that your Mod Staging Vortex folder is NOT installed in the same path where you game is installed. For instance, the default is this ( by the majority of users ) :

Game are installed on ------------ C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Steam\SteamApps\Common\<your game>

Vortex ( by default ) installs in ---- C:\Users\<your name>\AppData\Roaming\Vortex\

As you can see, they are in the same DRIVE : C:\ .... but NOT in the same path ..... games are on ProgramFiles(x86) and Vortex is on Users\ ..... keep this in mine if you want to leave your game outside its default installation, otherwise, if both are in the same path, everything will be upside down and you won't be able to fix it.

Have you tried to download a few mods first ( 10-15 ) and monkey around with them to learn Vortex or have you made the same mistake others have done to download / install all of their mods and then they do not know what to do to handle such amount of mods in Vortex ?

In relation to your dirty DLC files, Vortex has nothing to do with that at all and yet, there are several very knowledgable Vortex users stating that this is no necessary to clean anymore but if you insist, use SSEDIT to clean your DLC in the normal way always has been done. Because LOOT is built into Vortex, it is telling you ( advising to you ) there are some dirty files but that is not a bug in Vortex, on the contrary, it is letting you know and you need to make your own decision if you proceed to clean them up or not. Again, use SSEDIT to do so.

I would recommend to completely uninstall Vortex. Put your game back in ProgramFiles(x86), reinstall Vortex and LET VORETX TO CHOOSE ITS OWN DEFAULT PATH INSTALLATION. The only folder that you will created is your Mod Folder which I installed in my Documents. READ HOW TO INSTALL VORTEX and make sure to follow those steps one by one. This is super essential because one mistake here and everything will be upside down for you.

Once you re-install Vortex, setup Vortex properly.

Go to SETTINGS / INTERFACE and have :

- Under Advanced :

a- Enable Advanced Mode = ON

b = Enable Profile Management = ON

- Under Automation :

a - Deploy Mods when Enabled = ON

Go to SETTINGS / VORTEX tab :

- Multi-User Mode = Per-user

- Update = Stable

Go to SETTINGS / MODS tab :

- Make sure your STAGING folder is located in the path :

C:\Users\<your name>\AppData\Roaming\Vortex\<your game>\mods

- Make sure that Deployment Method is :

Hadlink Deployment

Go to SETTINGS / DOWNLOAD tab :

- Make sure that you TURN ON ---- HANDLE ( beside where it says MOD MANAGER DOWNLOAD )

- Here you will see where the path where your Download Folder is located at ( mine is ) :

C:\Users\<my name>\Documents\VORTEX DOWNLOADS ( this is the name I gave to my folder )

Go to the PLUGINS section of Vortex and make sure that AUTOSORT ENABLED is ON ( locked position ) so all of your plugins will sort automatically and do yourself a favor : DO NOT USE LOOT ( outside Vortex ) to sort your plugins. By turning this function to ON ( Autosort ), Vortex will sort your plugins automatically so there is no need to use LOOT at all. Another thing that you need to do : Trust Vortex by heart.

If you doubt it and you start doing things in the way that you believe they should be done, you will get in trouble. Once you Autosort is Enabled, you DO NOT have to worry about sorting your plugins at all. The only thing that you will do when downloading / installing your mods, is to resolve your mod conflicts in the MODS section of Vortex. Read how to do this and have a happy modding / gaming.

I do recommend that you read this thread and you will learn a lot :

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/6454716-do-not-put-modsdownloads-into-your-vortex-install-directory/

I've been on forum after forum looking for fixes for every single error I've had. Which is why I moved everything out of ProgramFiles(x86) in the first place. Like 3 or 4 posts were saying that having the game in there would cause some errors for some mods, and I thought maybe that was why my FNIS stuff was causing my character to T-Pose. I downloaded about 80 mods, I've turned each one off individually to try to fix the T-Pose issue I was having which had something to do with FNIS.( I googled every single warning I've had, looked at numerous forums and posts about each one in order to try to figure them out myself. I got the FNIS launcher to tell me there are no warnings and still T-Pose.) It's at this point where I've been trying to fix FNIS related T-Pose issues for a literal 3 solid days on and off that I've decided to actually seek assistance in a forum because I'm at my wits end. I've dabbled a little in modding for this game a very long time ago. I kept it relatively simple and got a couple mods to make things look prettier, nothing to complex, and at that time I was using Nexus Mod Manager because that was the main program to use, which apparently now is not the case. I'm going to do all of this right now and no doubt it will probably work, and then maybe I can work out this T-Pose issue. I'm computerly inept, so if I run into issues I'll come back.

@Maelificent

sopmac45 has provided you with an excellent guide to getting your games up and running using Vortex as mod manager.

I would like to re-emphasize a point that sopmac45 has already made. "Dirty" edits to your DLC esm's have absolutely nothing to do with Vortex and the fact that your game won't run. I have played Skyrim with "dirty" DLC esm's and with "clean" DLC esm's and saw no difference in game play. To get your games going again, your time would be best spent focusing on the other matters that sopmac45 discusses.

@Maelificent

sopmac45 has provided you with an excellent guide to getting your games up and running using Vortex as mod manager.

I would like to re-emphasize a point that sopmac45 has already made. "Dirty" edits to your DLC esm's have absolutely nothing to do with Vortex and the fact that your game won't run. I have played Skyrim with "dirty" DLC esm's and with "clean" DLC esm's and saw no difference in game play. To get your games going again, your time would be best spent focusing on the other matters that sopmac45 discusses.

Yes, I am going to go through right now and follow it and see if I run into problems due to my own ineptness.

Ok I've got everything back to the way it was previously. Now can someone point me into the direction of understanding what's wrong with FNIS? Because as soon as I turn that mod on I get T-Pose. I've watched countless installation guides, and looked at countless forum posts on how to fix it and nothing has worked so far. If there's somewhere I can specifically go to figure it out, that information would be appreciated.

The consensus I have read is to never clean files provided by Bethesda. That includes all DLCs.

Just ignore any dirty messages.

I can tell you now - you have your FNIS paths set up incorrectly.

Tell us how you installed FNIS, give a screenshot of the shortcut paths you set, and give us a screenshot of your FNIS output.

FNIS Warnings are never warnings - they are errors to be fixed.

Make sure to set your FNIS START IN and TARGET paths.

Also, turn OFF "Run FNIS on deployment event"

SETTINGS------>INTERFACE--------->Run FNIS on deployment Event (turn this off)

Vortex-FNIS.jpg

Your paths will be different, but set them up like this

TARGET - D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\GenerateFNISForUsers.exe

START IN - D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\

I imagine yours will be something like this

TARGET - C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\GenerateFNISForUsers.exe

START IN - C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\