What am I doing wrong Cycle problems with Vortex

Drevan80

What am I doing wrong I can't seem to get Skyrim 3D Rocks, Majestic Mountains, Realistic Water Two and SMIM to play nice together with Vortex I always end up with Mod Cycle rules.

What you're doing wrong is you're forcing your idea of what you think the load order should be, against what Vortex says your load order should be.

That's a bad habit learned from using NMM

Cyclic rules only show up because the user has made a rule that goes against the built in rules for the mods.

...and do that stuff Augusta said to do too

One thing that you need to completely eliminate from your brain while using Vortex is to try to move your plugins as you did in NMM. Do that and you will get a terrible headache and obviously, you will blame Vortex for your trouble.

Set your PLUGINS to be sorted automatically by Vortex and forget about them for ever. Vortex will sort them out perfectly.

After that, the only thing you need to do is to focus on resolving your Mod conflicts in the MODS section of Vortex. Keep in mind that you will only deal with those mods that will have a RED BOLT beside them. The red bolt means that mod is in conflict with other mod(s) already downloaded/installed/deployed in your game. Click on that red bolt and even Vortex will suggest what to choose ( either Load Before or Load After - those mods appearing on that screen ). I will recommend for now, to go with what Vortex suggest but if you want to make it different, keep in mind this :

- If you choose to Load before mod A, you DO NOT HAVE to go to mod B and choose Load After mod A. You only pick one time.

- If you choose to Load Before mod A, then by logic, you cannot choose mod B to Load Before mod A before you are contradicting the logic. One goes before, the other goes after ... but you only pick one time, not twice.

When you do choose twice, you will get an error.

As a good rule of thumb, I ALWAYS click on the red bolt of my last installed mod and go with Vortex suggestion. When clicking on that red bolt, a screen will pop up and will show me what other mods are conflicting with my last installed mod; at this point, you have to click on the dropping arrow of each sub-window and choose Load Before, After, etc in relation to the mod beside that small sub-window. Again, I will go with what Vortex is suggesting, save it and get done with it.

So far, I have not had any trouble going that way. So far, I have not had the need to go back and change that rule because my mod ( s ) are not working properly.

One more time, if you go against Vortex, you will crash and please do not blame the program but yourself. Try to shift an automatic transmission while you are driving to the Park or Reverse shift and you will definitely break it and probably have a very bad accident. It was not the car but you who tried to go against what was already in place for you to work as intended.

I've gotten a cycle error before without touching plugins at all, so its not necessarily OP trying to work against Vortex and manually change plugin load order. Open the hyperlink contained in the error pop-up, it will display a map of the mods involved in the cycle with arrows showing the relationships. You should be able to pinpoint the problem there and can actually just flip the offending relationship(s) there.

Thats been my experience at least. Had it come up a few times around R's Farmhouse specifically with some other mods.

• 2 weeks later...

Vortex aren't suggest the right thing sometimes (i.e Ennead 4k banner and Ennead 4k Ivory Whiterun Vortex suggests Ennead 4k before Ennead 4k Ivory Whiterun which makes Ennead 4k Ivory Whiterun redundant and will give me the standard Ennead 4k Whiterun (Black)

Vortex aren't suggest the right thing sometimes (i.e Ennead 4k banner and Ennead 4k Ivory Whiterun Vortex suggests Ennead 4k before Ennead 4k Ivory Whiterun which makes Ennead 4k Ivory Whiterun redundant and will give me the standard Ennead 4k Whiterun (Black)

The suggestions are just that - suggestions. You don't have to follow the suggestions. Create the rule that gives you the results you want.

Vortex suggestions are based on which conflicting file has the newer time stamp and nothing more.

Right, and in that instance you pick Ivory Whiterun to LOAD AFTER Ennead 4K Banner

That's why the choices are there.

Do you get a cyclic error if you have the Ivory Whiterun load AFTER 4K banner?

Right, and in that instance you pick Ivory Whiterun to LOAD AFTER Ennead 4K Banner

That's why the choices are there.

Do you get a cyclic error if you have the Ivory Whiterun load AFTER 4K banner?

No Ennead works fine when loading Ivory Whiterun after mainfile it was just an example that Vortex choices isn't always the right one

Edited by Drevan80