Crashing When Approaching Specific Area

InfernoZola

Same break, crashes when entering the area near the inn. This time it was near the cave along the road. I had to make a small detour to avoid a bit of a battle between a bandit, a harpy (modded creature that kicked my ass once before) and a mountain lion, but still shows that no matter which way I enter, the crash occurs. Not sure if it's an NPC, or what, because I was able to find the two you mentioned (and I have not started the main quest yet).

You mention a cave along the road ... in the vanilla game there is no cave in that area so it will be something added by a mod. After reading the Heart of the Dead's mod description that would be the first one I would try disabling for a test run.

If it turns out to be Maskar's (or related to a conflict with Maskar's) you are in luck ... I don't know of a single person who is better at figuring out a problem like this than Maskar (I would rate Maskar as far and away above wizard status).

Depending on whether or not it has incorporated/merged stuff into the patch from the mod can change it's behaviour when you are trying to disable a mod for testing. There is probably a best way to go about it, but my guess is that the best way will vary depending on the specifics of how WB has interacted with the mod you want to disable.

I'm more like you ... try things until something works (I'm harking back to the first time I wanted to disable a mod that was merged and deactivated ... a "learning" experience).

Because of how Maskar's puts things into the game via scripts (as opposed to directly via the Construction Set) it will probably require another round of "coc center" to clear out anything that it has added to the game (which is then part of your save).

If disabling Heart of the Dead didn't solve the issue I'd say your next move would be to get Maskar involved via the MOO mod comments (well provided my coc center idea doesn't get you over the hump ... and even in that case it would be beneficial to bring the matter up for Maskar's consideration).

I shall make a new character for testing purposes and send them out to the inn to see if it was anything to do with my character (doubtful since it was almost fresh, I had only been playing for about an hour). I'll keep testing but this is growing tiring, load, crash, load, walk a few steps, crash. If the recreated character (without the bashed patch/HotD/MOO running) doesn't work I'll comment on Maskar's mod to see if it can be fixed in any way.

Bummer, I wasn't expecting quest mods to break the game lol.

Got mad at my friend poking me on my modding skills and turned all of the mods off...

...It worked.

Edit: I'll gradually go through and reactivate each mod, and see which one was causing the game to throw a fit when I went into that area. HotD wasn't the cause, it appears. It must have been whatever added that cave because it's gone now (re-added HotD and the cave is still missing)

Edited by InfernoZola