Fallout New Vegas main menu interface options overlapping each other

Forget the INI files. You have too many mods installed for this game. The "plugin cap" for FNV is between 128-140, depending upon your system. Once you hit 128, be sure you install and test each additional mod one at a time. Exceeding that cap causes various "weird things" including problems with the HUD display. (Having the "latest and greatest" system can actually work against your expectations with a game that is almost 10 years old. While your hardware may technically be able to handle it, the game was published in late 2010, designed for Windows Vista with maximum screen displays of 1920x1080, with default image sizes of 512x512 pixels. The game engine texture cache tends to be the bottleneck: "leaking memory" and causing "stutter". Please see the wiki "Display resolution versus Image Size" article.)

Please see the 'Vanilla Load Order' entry in the 'First Timer Advice' section; and the 'Common Game Problems' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article.

If the problem persists, then see either the 'Solutions to Starting the game problems' or the 'Solutions to "Crash To Desktop" (CTD) problems' sections in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide.

I recommend anyone read the entire "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article to understand the differences between this game and others you may have experience with; especially if this is your first attempt to play a modded FNV or it's been more than a year since you last did so.

* You really need to use a "Merge Patch File" with that collection of mods. Please see the 'Third Rule: The Rule of One' and 'Merge Patch File' sections of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article.

We REALLY need to see your sorted "load order" as produced by "LOOT"; to include the main game and DLC files if you still have problems after reducing your "load order" under the plugin cap. (Use LOOT even with FOMM.) With modded games its the sequence, not merely the list of mods, which is the cause of many problems. LOOT's sort gives a good first approximation, correcting the most obvious issues and is sufficient for most players. You can make minor adjustments to the order and tell LOOT how to remember them. It's in the on-line documentation under "Metadata". Instructions on how to copy it's list for posting are in the "How to ask for help" article, and "Checklist Item #11' entry in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide.

-Dubious-

• 6 months later...

"Number of plugins" is an indirect way of measuring how much memory you are consuming. When you are pushing the limit, an updated plugin which increases the memory it uses can be enough to push you over the edge. Then you have to "triage" your plugins and decide which are more important and which have to be sacrificed to get back down within the memory limits. Don't forget that "hi-rez" images consume more memory as well.

Though frankly I would suspect something affecting an XML file to be more likely to cause main menu positioning issues. Please see the wiki "HUD-UI-Menu issues" article.

-Dubious-

I also followed the U.L.T.I.M.A.T.E. guide, mainly for the graphics, and i've been pretty successful in merging all of the mods im up to 350 mods. I don't know what kind of interface mods you have i recall having a similar problem with Darnified UI, make sure you go into the ini files and replace the fonts with the ones given by the interface specific mod you downloaded, for example i have classic fallout 1 and 2 fonts, i replaced the fonts in the fallout nv game folder in my documents and then installed HUD like FO4 over it

• 2 years later...

I had this same issue and it came from not replacing the [Fonts] section correctly in the Fallout.ini in the Folder, Documents -> My Games -> FalloutNV After installing the Darnified UI MOD

just replace the existing Font section with this:

[Fonts]
sFontFile_1=Textures\Fonts\DarN_FranKleinBold_14.fnt
sFontFile_2=Textures\Fonts\DarN_FranKleinBold_16.fnt
sFontFile_3=Textures\Fonts\Glow_Monofonto_Medium.fnt
sFontFile_4=Textures\Fonts\DarN_Sui_Generis_Otl_10.fnt
sFontFile_5=Textures\Fonts\Fixedsys_Comp_uniform_width.fnt
sFontFile_6=Textures\Fonts\DarN_Sui_Generis_Otl_13.fnt
sFontFile_7=Textures\Fonts\DarN_Libel_Suit_Otl_24.fnt
sFontFile_8=Textures\Fonts\Glow_Futura_Caps_Large.fnt
sFontFile_9=Textures\Fonts\NVFont_Test.fnt
Hope that helps you.