Weird 'unable to load module' problem, can't play game. At a complete loss.

Rosatine

Hi guys,

Alright, I'll explain the issue, then I'll explain exactly what I've done (and consequently failed) to correct the problem. Here we go! All of the following is talking about Playing Dragon Age Origins - not Awakening, not any of the other mods, just the standard Origin start.

I am trying to play the Dragon Age Ultimate Edition through Origin.

--

Ok - when I go to load a game I get an error message saying 'Unable to Load Module'.

I am able to start a new game and play it, and then save it, but when I quit and then go to load that save, I get the error message.

--

What I have done I can explain in complete detail, because I did it last night, then uninstalled the whole game and did exactly the same thing just now -

--

So, at original installation -

1) Started the game, then closed it again - sometimes with games you have to do this to generate files.

2) I then added ''-enabledeveloperconsole'' to the command line argument in Origin.

3) I installed the following mods, in this order, through Vortex - lots of them required 'elevation' which I followed through. There were no error messages installing any of the mods.

Make Console Commands Visable
Assassin Armor and Rapiers
Forced Deathblows - Deathblow Lieutenants Plus

Loincloth Fashion

Mabari Recolours - Origins - Grey Mabari

Madd Gift Guide

No Starting Abilities

Practical Morrigan Robe

Practical Morrigan Robe LOD files

PTs Vibrant Colors

SJC Fantasy Skin Tones

SJC Skin Tones

Steal Cooldown Reduced

The Winters Forge

Witcher inspired morps

4) I then manually installed (dragged to the override) HD Stbl-presets and SJCs Hair Colours.

5) I then used CharGenMorphCompiler to compile all the chargen xmls.

---

That is all! I read all the available readme's for all of the mods. I really am at a complete loss, as I said, I've now re-installed (and re-installed all the mods, whilst thoroughly checking everything out as best as I could) and I'm having the same issue. Does anybody more clever than perhaps know which mod(s) it might most likely to be, so I can at least have somewhere to start with trial and elimination? If it is indeed a mod problem?

Any help would be so appreciated! Thank you for reading!

edit: could it be an issue with Vortex? The thing is, last time I played DA:O I used all of these mods absolutely fine, at least, I'm 99% sure I did, it was a while ago. But back in those days I installed everything manually.

Edited by Rosatine

One thing you might try is de-activating the mods to see if you can get the game to load without them.

Select "Downloadable Content" from the main menu, deactivate everything, and see if the game loads. If it does, through trial and error you should be able to pinpoint a specific mod (or combination of mods) causing the problem.

The only other method I know of is to uninstall and reinstall - again - see if the game starts and runs, then install one mod at a time.

Perhaps someone else will come along with specific knowledge of the particular combination you're trying to use.

Good luck.

I will see if it runs with nothing activated right this second, and I will get back to you in a minute!

Thank you for your suggestion at least!

edit: - no, it didn't work. I deactivated everything and there was still exactly the same problem 'unable to load module'.

I mean, I guess I am happy to re-install again and try one at a time, just, sheesh, it will take a while :sad:

also, I mean, from my (albeit limited) modding knowledge, I can't see any conflicts at all in the mods that I'm using. Certainly not any that would 'break the game' - I really am very confused.

Edited by Rosatine

Another option is to have a look at your log file to see if it contains any information that might be useful.

In your Documents folder, under BioWare\Dragon Age\Logs there should be a file named DragonAge_1.log.

Again, thank you for your suggestion!

Hmm.. honestly, after looking at the log, I'm not really sure what I'm looking at. I'd happily post it if anybody thinks it would be useful though!

It says it 'failed' to do some things, although those all appear to be online related. I'm not sure if that's relevant though? 'Failed to load profile save file' sounds pretty relevant though, argh, I don't know. Here's that bit of it copy and pasted:

''OnlineFeatures Server Closed Status requested.

OnlineFeatures LoadProfile() : Failed to load profile save file: C:\users\sam\documents\bioware\dragon age\settings\profile.dap
DA Download Manager (DADM) Service was started!
DA Download Manager (DADM) OpenService failed (1060)
General Initialize - Initialization Complete
DA Download Manager (DADM) Attempting to connect to DADM Control Server!
DA Download Manager (DADM) Could not connect to DADM Control Server!
DA Download Manager (DADM) Restarting DADM HeartBeat!
DA Download Manager (DADM) OpenService failed (1060)''

Yes, the DADM messages are normal IME - I get them all the time, and my game runs fine.

The message about your profile.dap is normal on a fresh install. I reinstalled my game fairly recently, and my log file has that same message recorded from my first load.

I wish I could provide more specific help. Your best bet imho is to start with a fresh install of only the game with no mods and make sure it runs before you start installing anything else. When you uninstall, remove (and backup) every trace of it... from the install directory and the documents sub-folders.

FWIW, my install directory is: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Dragon Age

and the documents folder I already pointed out: (documents)\BioWare\Dragon Age

Good luck.

Ah no it's ok, thank you anyway for trying to help out =)

I will try and do a full reinstall now and add the mods back one at a time.. guess I know what I'll be doing for the rest of tonight! I will also definitely be sure to delete every trace of the game.

I will reply back here in a while though with any updates!

Once again thanks for trying to help!

Edited by Rosatine

Ok, Update 1:

Complete re installation. Deleted everything from documents and the installation folder and re-installed.

No mods or anything more installed yet than the complete ultimate edition (i.e. the offical DLC content).

It's working at the moment, just started a new game, saved it, quit the game, and then reloaded it just fine.

Ok! So time to install these mods one at a time. I'm going to try and install them manually (not going to use Vortex) as that's what I did last time I played DA:O and had them all working fine.

Excellent progress!

And I'm glad you're reporting back. I see quite a few threads where people have solved whatever problem they were having - which is great - but it doesn't necessarily help anyone else. Continuing to offer information might help someone else who comes along.

Update 2!

All done! I THINK I know what the issue was now.. but anyway, I'll explain what I did.

--

So after I did the complete re-installation, the first thing I did was to enable to console. That went fine. Ok, so I made a new game, and then I saved it. Let's call it 'Save 1'.

--

I then went through each mod and manually installed it. After every installation, I opened up DA:O and attempted to open 'Save 1'.

Here is the order I installed the mods.

Pineapple Vibrant Colours
SJC's Hair Colors
SJC's Skin Colors
HD Eyebrow and Stubble presets
Witcher Inspired Morps
Forced Deathblows
Mabari Recolours
Madd Gift Guide
No Starting Abilities
- Here I made a new character to test load from, as well as the original character, just to be 100% sure things would work with a new character.
No Follower Auto-level
Personal Annoyance Remover
Steal Cooldown Reduced
Loincloth Fashion
Winter's Forge

I did not install the following mods, that were installed the first time:

console commands visable (turns out I didn't need it)
assassin armor and rapiers (decided against it)
Morrigan's practical robe + LoD patch (decided against it)

--
Right, and now it's all working. Now, I believe the issue was Winter's Forge. As this time around, after I installed Winter's Forge, I had a big message come up in-game all about the Forge and how to use it etc. - as I've never used Winter's Forge before, I didn't know I should have expected that, but the first couple of times (when I was having the issue) that big message never appeared for me, which leads me to think there was a problem related to it somewhere.

--

Anyway, it's all fixed now! Well, fingers crossed :D

Thank you very much Pasquale for being supportive and getting me off my butt to actually do this, it hasn't taken half as long as I was worrying about!