Belethor died... Help me find a fix?

Waterdrop

Ok so I've learned more about what the problem may be.

The goal is to restore a resurrected merchant's trade dialogue and functionality.

Short version:

*Merchant died.

*Merchant gets their own coffin placed in relevant city's catacombs.

*Merchant gets revived with "Resurrect" console command.

*Merchant no longer has trade dialogue.

*Coffin scripting is likely the problem.

Below is my original post:

*Walked into Whiterun, went to Belethor's store at appropriate hours, it was locked.

*Waited 1 hour at a time, several times, until I decided to break in.

*Belethor was M.I.A. so I had a look around town and found an Ash Pile.

*Facepalmed and loosed an exasperated sigh. (silly vampires and their raise dead spells)

*Tried Resurrect and Resurrect 1 on Ash Pile with no effect. (ofc)

*Made sure it was Belethor through use of "moveto" commands. (took me to the removed cross shaped hall cell, but no sight of belethor)

*Reluctantly used "placeatme" command to spawn a new Belethor.

*New Belethor has no Trade dialogue. (gave him plenty of time to change his mind. no luck)

*Found Ref ID of original Belethor's Merchant chest and Item representing said chest. (disabled floor and rugs to locate)

*"Setownership" doesn't apply to NPCs, as such cannot transfer ownership of merchant chest to New Belethor. (to be continued?)

So yea that's where I'm stuck. That's as far as I can get on my own. I imagine mods are mostly irrelevant in this situation, and I only use a few retexture ones anyways.

It would be great if there was a console command to set an item's ownership to a different NPC! As the current "Setownership" console command (as far as I can tell) doesn't serve that function.

I could always start over again, but with dragon attacks and now vampire attacks as well, this is inevitably going to happen again. It would be nice to learn of a way to fix it.

Btw, I may or may not have taken the wrong approach to this. Either way my earliest save is after I found the ash pile and before I touched the console at all.

If you can contribute to a potential solution that would be neat :D

Edited by Waterdrop

Use the PRID (Belethor's original ref id/base id forget which), in order to select the original belethor, and then type in resurrect (not resurrect 1). afterwards, use moveto player to make him appear next to you.

This does bring back the original Belethor, however he will not show the trade dialogue. Trying to bring back his original functionality as a merchant is the main problem for me. I'm not sure what causes this. I used "Resurrect" and afterwards tried various methods of waiting hoping he would fix himself at some point.

So Belethor has a coffin in Whiterun's Catacombs. I imagine that would be the problem...

I'm thinking the obstacle now would be to find a way to undo the effects of that? Tried "Disable" hoping that for once it might just be that simple. ofc not.

Edited by Waterdrop

• 1 month later...

Belethor died for me too, his coffin is in the Hall of the Dead and his shop is always locked, if you go inside you find Ysolda who only tells you you're not supposed to be in there.

I decided to respawn Belethor with the placeatme console command. Belethor went back to his shop but the selling dialog was gone. Now, Ysolda is the merchant inside the shop standing in front of the counter. And she still talks about owning an inn someday. Weird stuff.

edit: Belethor's selling dialog came back after using the addfaction commands and sleeping. His shop still says locked but I have the key so I can still go in. Ysolda also has selling dialog. When the shop is closed she'll wait around in front of the shop and keep trying to enter. She has the same inventory and gold as Belethor. And they are both very fickle. Just at random times during the day they close the shop and will keep telling me to get out.

Ugh... why can important NPCs even die.

Edited by thenobody6

Nothing for it but to start a new game and create yourself some batch files that make all merchants essential. Find out their base ID's (there is a list in a thread elsewhere on here), create a txt file and add them all to it in this fashion

setessential BaseID 1

I would advise adding carriage drivers, stable owners and trainers to it as well since I once had both the stable guys at Whiterun offed by the vampires, as well as Faendal in Riverwood and Sven too.

Save the file in your Skyrim directory as something you will remember, I call mine MerchEss. Then when your run with your new char, open the console as soon as you are getting close to level 10 where Dawnguard triggers and type

bat MerchEss (or whatever you called your text file)

• 1 year later...

If anyone still finds this while googling (had the same issue and addtofaction didnt work for me):

I am using apocalypse spellpack (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/16225/?) and theres a skill with which you can trade with any NPCs - fortunately you open the normal trade function with merchants with it - not with their private inventories.

I know, its just a workaround, but, hey, finally I can buy my jewelry again! x)

Good luck guys

EDIT: Spell's name is Forked Tongue, Illusion spell

EDIT2: I finally found something what worked for me (even after i already had resurrected him and experimented and stuff)

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim_talk:Belethor

Do this:

prid 0001A672
moveto player
enable
resurrect
addtofaction 51596 1
addtofaction 51599 1

Edited by frtzngbllr

• 9 months later...

Do this:

prid 0001A672

moveto player

enable

resurrect

addtofaction 51596 1

addtofaction 51599 1

Sorry for the bump, but I joined just to highlight this since I had to dig around in Google for a bit for a fix. I saw the vampire kill the NPC, but didn't realize that it was one of the only 2 general goods vendors I had uncovered and I was leveling smithing by transmuting and crafting golden rings. Wasn't sure how far back I'd have had to load if this fix weren't available.

Since I had already looted his body and entered his shop during his normally closed hours, he was mean to me once I resurrected him. However, at the start of business the next day, he was friendly again, complete with a sell option! Thanks again. Fantastic community.

[EDIT]

Wanted to add that he eventually was no longer to be found. I found his coffin in the catacombs. Maybe it's a timed thing from when he originally died? I don't know, but using this trick a second time spawned him again. And this time, since I hadn't been in his shop while it was locked, he was ready to sell straightaway.

Edited by demarest

• 2 years later...