Dawnguard hostile on startup

Galacticat42

I've searched and couldn't find my problem anywhere so might as well put it here and see what people say.

So I entered Riften, looked around, slept at the Bee and Barb then went off to the Dawnguard place. Upon entering everyone was hostile. I do know that sometimes they're hostile because you have a bounty in The Rift. So I went back to Riften and talked to a guard... Nothing. No 'You've caught me' option, no hint of any bounty at all. I head into the Bee and Barb again and Louis Letrush starts wailing on me out of no where. I haven't accepted his quest and I didn't do anything to deserve his wrath. After looking up the glitch in the UESP, I decided to just disable him. Could Letrush's glitch be my problem? Could that be why Dawnguard was hostile? I have no curses, no diseases and no poisons... nothing but a blessing from Mara and a tweaking NPC. I do have mods, but nothing that's been connected with any of my problems.

Edited by Budz42

It took me more than three attempts to finally get Dawnguard working. It is not a reliable piece of software. It is not for the casual gamer but for the modder who likes to tinker and solve problems.

On my third attempt to get Dawnguard working, Durak asked me to go the fort. When I got there, Durak and everyone attacked me and the quest was broken because the quest-giver would not stop attacking me long enough to give me the quest. On my machine, I was able to fix this by deactivating Dawnguard and making a clean save and starting the quest over again.

• 3 months later...
I had this problem ...half way through my dawnguard quests they became hostile to me so i just ran before lydia killed any of them ... I figured the problem was i had killed some guards earlier and even though it said my bounty was removed, it glitched the dawnguard...so my fix is go to riften punch a guard pay the 40 gold and all is forgiven

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Yeah, it's called start a new game often if you change stuff. Sure not everytime, but if there is a problem it needs to be duplicated first. Then have the save game ruled out by starting a new game. Also if you pause the game there are general stats listed an crime is one of them, which might list the agro reason.

• 2 years later...
  • 6 years later...

Wow! Years later, I got the glitch too..(And my character had absolutely had no crime at all, and no Vamp or werewolf, yet it still glitched.)

So started looking for answers... I ended up here, hoping to find an answer on how to fix the issue...

All I can say is .. THANK YOU!! Thank you soo soo soooo much!!

AS said above... it worked like a charm!!

Just punch a guard, pay, .. and it clears the glitch. Durak came right up to me, and recruited me as he should.

Thank you so much again!

Good gaming all!