Mod name has .7z suffix

dizietemblesssma

Where does Vortex get the name of the mod from? Sometimes I install a mod via the drag and drop method and then it seems to always keep the .zip or .7z extension. I've gotten into trying to learn the various cleaning tools for Morrowind mods and then compressing the esps and installing that way. Is there a info file or such that could go into the archive?

It's simple to double click on the mod name and alter it, but I may need to reinstall one day - actually when I finally rebuild my broken main PC i will:)

It usually grabs it from the Nexus, but sometimes ends up using the file name, which is why you gt .rar, .7z etc showing in the mod window.
Nothing to worry about really

If you install a mod by Drag and Dropping, OR downloading it from the Nexus Manually, Vortex doesn't get a chance to 'see' the Mod page and get it's info from it, so what you need to do with those particular mods
is DOUBLE CLICK the mod, and a pane will open up on the right hand side.

Then pick your SOURCE

Vortex-Mod-Source.jpg

Then an option to "Guess ID" appears, and click that and 99% of the time, Vortex finds the info it needs from the Nexus Website

Easiest option is to download your mods with Vortex.

It usually grabs it from the Nexus, but sometimes ends up using the file name, which is why you gt .rar, .7z etc showing in the mod window.

Nothing to worry about really

If you install a mod by Drag and Dropping, OR downloading it from the Nexus Manually, Vortex doesn't get a chance to 'see' the Mod page and get it's info from it, so what you need to do with those particular mods

is DOUBLE CLICK the mod, and a pane will open up on the right hand side.

Then pick your SOURCE

Vortex-Mod-Source.jpg

Then an option to "Guess ID" appears, and click that and 99% of the time, Vortex finds the info it needs from the Nexus Website

Easiest option is to download your mods with Vortex.

Cheers HTR but last line of my post...:) Although to be fair I didn't indicate that I'd seen the 'source' box.

Was looking for a way to include the name with versions of some mods I've downloaded and cleaned which I have to install manually, I like to give them a name like 'Clean [original name]' so that I know it''s something I've done, no biggie though.

A thought though, no-one minds if I or you or God (girl never leaves her pc, total gamer!) downloads a mod and cleans it or whatever, but what is the etiquette/ethics of my putting up on nexus my version for my own use and accessible storage from other pcs?

Cheers HTR but last line of my post... :smile: Although to be fair I didn't indicate that I'd seen the 'source' box.

Was looking for a way to include the name with versions of some mods I've downloaded and cleaned which I have to install manually, I like to give them a name like 'Clean [original name]' so that I know it''s something I've done, no biggie though.

A thought though, no-one minds if I or you or God (girl never leaves her pc, total gamer!) downloads a mod and cleans it or whatever, but what is the etiquette/ethics of my putting up on nexus my version for my own use and accessible storage from other pcs?

I believe that would result in a ban, because the mod would have to be published to access it, but it would be without the person's permission

Look on any mod using FOMOD, these normally in mod archive in the fomod folder includes two xml files, one small and one larger. If not mistaken the small is called info.xml and include name of mod and possibly Nexus mod id. Even a couple of non-Nexus mods uses this file, and they don't need to include any FOMOD installer file.

Vortex seems to read any manually added mod archive looking for this file, so it should be possible to use this method to name your own mod-archives.

Note, while Vortex will correctly skip installing the fomod folder for mods using FOMOD installer, this is not the case for mods only using the info-file. Still this won't be flagged as file conflict so having an extra file not used by game in data folder shouldn't be a problem.

I believe that would result in a ban, because the mod would have to be published to access it, but it would be without the person's permission

So, permission needed; got it. Thanks. :smile:

OK, it's actually against the TOS to upload to nexus as storage.

All uploaded files are meant to be published.

From this thread here https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/7571485-can-we-upload-and-hide-files-to-nexus-and-keep-them-here-as-storage/

Look on any mod using FOMOD, these normally in mod archive in the fomod folder includes two xml files, one small and one larger. If not mistaken the small is called info.xml and include name of mod and possibly Nexus mod id. Even a couple of non-Nexus mods uses this file, and they don't need to include any FOMOD installer file.

Vortex seems to read any manually added mod archive looking for this file, so it should be possible to use this method to name your own mod-archives.

Note, while Vortex will correctly skip installing the fomod folder for mods using FOMOD installer, this is not the case for mods only using the info-file. Still this won't be flagged as file conflict so having an extra file not used by game in data folder shouldn't be a problem.

This is interesting, thankyou.

OK, it's actually against the TOS to upload to nexus as storage.

All uploaded files are meant to be published.

From this thread here https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/7571485-can-we-upload-and-hide-files-to-nexus-and-keep-them-here-as-storage/

Well from how the mod pages seem to work, as you say; if I can see a file then so can others and it's published, and as long there is permission then that should be cushty

Yup, you're right, a simple fomod>info.xml file in the .7z file does result in the desired name, and a fomod folder under data files with the info.xml file of the last homemade I installed that way! :)