Audio desync in combat

onix0500

Whenever I enter combat an audio desync occurs for the duration of the battle. This desync is a 5+ second long delay in audio effects, and during this delay I cannot switch weapons using hotkeys. I'm running Tale of Two Wastelands with Mod Organizer 1 as my mod manager, sorted with LOOT.

System specifications:

Windows 10 Home Edition

i5 6600k OC'd @ 4.5GHz

GTX 1060 6gb

WD Blue 1TB SSD
24GB DDR4 RAM @ 3000 MHz

Load order:

https://pastebin.com/TETiyGNm

This appears to be the same issue in https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/6842367-weird-combat-sound-desync-issue/ and https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/6724632-audio-lag-all-sounds-suddenly-catch-up-post-combat-video-example/, but both threads end unexpectedly with no solution found.

I responded to both of those threads, and have nothing new to add. The fact that the OPs didn't respond after solutions were offered, is fairly common. Doesn't mean they failed to resolve the problem.

Your "load order" in that screenshot is not sorted correctly. LOOT's sort gives a good first approximation, correcting the most obvious issues and is sufficient for most players. You can make minor adjustments to the order and tell LOOT how to remember them. It's in the on-line documentation under "Metadata". Instructions on how to copy it's list for posting are in the "How to ask for help" article, and "Checklist Item #11' entry in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide.

Please see the 'Vanilla Load Order' entry in the 'First Timer Advice' section; and the 'Common Game Problems' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article.

-Dubious-

I responded to both of those threads, and have nothing new to add. The fact that the OPs didn't respond after solutions were offered, is fairly common. Doesn't mean they failed to resolve the problem.

Your "load order" in that screenshot is not sorted correctly. LOOT's sort gives a good first approximation, correcting the most obvious issues and is sufficient for most players. You can make minor adjustments to the order and tell LOOT how to remember them. It's in the on-line documentation under "Metadata". Instructions on how to copy it's list for posting are in the "How to ask for help" article, and "Checklist Item #11' entry in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide.

Please see the 'Vanilla Load Order' entry in the 'First Timer Advice' section; and the 'Common Game Problems' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article.

-Dubious-

Thank you for the reply. In my original post I had accidentally linked modlist.txt instead of loadorder.txt, the correct link is https://pastebin.com/49wC7jwn. It's sorted with LOOT, though I've adjusted the order of the DLC according to TTW's FAQ. I've looked at the Common Game Problems link, but there is no mention of audio lag. It's also worth mentioning that I've disabled my antivirus (avast) to ensure that it's not interfering with anything. Where should I go from here?

The "Loadorder.txt" file is good, though I would suggest you use a "Merge Patch" file with that collection.

* If you have more than one mod that makes any change to the same record or set of records in the vanilla game, then you really need to use a "Merge Patch File" with that collection of mods. Please see the 'Third Rule: The Rule of One' and 'Merge Patch File' sections of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article. When in doubt, create a "Merge Patch" file anyway.

"Audio" can get tricky because it is essentially a "set-and-forget" operation for the game. The sound file gets passed over to the (independent) audio system and the game waits for the signal back (technically an "interrupt") that it is done playing. I notice you are "overclocking". I've never played with that, so don't really know the pros and cons, but you might want to experiment with slowing it down a bit toward 3GHz to see if that has any impact upon your desync delay. I suspect the audio system has to compensate for the faster CPU speed to prevent the sounds from getting distorted. This is an older game and a 4.5GHz CPU speed was never contemplated when it was designed.

-Dubious-

Fixed it!

According to https://taleoftwowastelands.com/viewtopic.php?t=7240 it's a problem with Avast. Sure enough, completely uninstalling it seems to have fixed the problem entirely. I'm not entirely sure why it was still interfering with processes despite the shields being turned off & exclusions being set for falloutnv.exe, but it doesn't surprise me given how bloated the software is. I guess I'll be going back to the tried and true combination of Windows Defender & Malwarebytes.

I should've searched the TTW forums before posting this thread, but oh well. Thank you for your time dubiousintent.

Thank you for reporting your solution. Added it as 'Issue - SOUND - Combat causes audio desync' to the 'Solutions to Performance problems' section of the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" article.

If you play the game in "offline mode", you shouldn't need to have any anti-virus or anti-malware service running. There are programs (search the web on "game boosters") which help you shut down services which are not essential while playing a game.

-Dubious-