Skyrim Troubles! :(

CaptCShadow

I just re-installed Skyim after reformatting my computer.

Being through Steam, the saves were intact. I could get to the main menu of the game but I can't continue my game at all. It comes up with the error:

This save relies on content which is no longer present, Would you like to continue?

If I continue, then the game just crashes.

I am level 36 and really don't want to start all over again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note, my friend also has Skyrim and was going to play it, but he can't even get to the main menu.

It always say error code: 83.

After looking through google, we always see that it could be a firewall block, but he has confirmed that Skyrim is allowed through the firewall.

CaptCShadow, hi, just some suggestions,

you can use this stand-alone utility to scan your savegame.

it displays a bunch of different tables/formid's; most importantly, it lists what plugins that savegame has dependencies on.

Skyrim Savegame Scanner by Mikanoshi - http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/15054

it will only list mods that use an .esp/.esm plugin file,

it will not list loose files added to skyrim that the savegame might be looking for,

it will not list intrusive INI tweaks (like changes to the default grids).

as you may realize, even knowing what mods your old savegame references may not be anykind of practical solution.

reinstalling the mods kinda defeats the whole purpose of you reformating your pc and doing a clean reinstall of skyrim.

unfortunately, some mods embed (bake-in) scripts and stuff into savegames that are difficult or cannot be eliminated.

you might be able to selectively identify which critical mods are needed to at least load the old savegame.

about your friend's steam issue throwing error code 83.

i have not seen a satisfactory response from valve/steam support on how to properly troubleshoot/resolve this issue.

completely uninstalling/reinstalling the latest steam-client might work and verifying the game cache for corruption.

also, in addition to tweaking the firewall, there may be antivirus or other programs causing steam issues.

i have heard some reports of people successfully getting steam games to work in offline mode by unplugging their lan cable

from the internet prior to actually launching the game, after the game launches, plug the cable back in lol.

anyway, that's it for now.

CaptCShadow, if you're willing, try temporarily putting Skyrim into debug mode,

I'm not sure this will work; but, hopefully debug mode can capture/log exactly what

the last process was that failed to load when you lauch the old gamesave.

Doing this might give you a clue what is causing the issue so you can fix it.

As follows (make a backup of skyrim.ini (My Documents/My Games/Skyrim)):

open skyrim.ini, edit these lines (change the 0 to 1) and save:

[Papyrus]

bEnableLogging=1

bEnableTrace=1

bLoadDebugInformation=1

launch the game, exit.

check folder 'My Documents/My Games/Skyrim/Logs/Script', you should see 'Papyrus.0.log'.

at the end of that log you should see the last process listed that failed.

(remember to restore your skyrim.ini).

By the way, after you reinstalled the mods, did you remember to place a checkmark to enable them

in the Data Files skyrim launcher?

Check your DLCList.txt just to be sure the mods are listed (search for this file in your systemdrive).

Have you tried testing the stability of your fresh Skyrim install by starting a new game?

Edited by xlcr

This is the entire log created after running in debug.

[08/16/2012 - 11:44:00PM] Papyrus log opened (PC)

[08/16/2012 - 11:44:00PM] Update budget: 1.200000ms (Extra tasklet budget: 1.200000ms, Load screen budget: 500.000000ms)

[08/16/2012 - 11:44:00PM] Memory page: 128 (min) 512 (max) 76800 (max total)

[08/16/2012 - 11:44:09PM] Cannot open store for class "ARTH_OCS_WhiterunGateLockScript", missing file?

[08/16/2012 - 11:44:09PM] error: Unable to bind script ARTH_OCS_WhiterunGateLockScript to (0501A763) because their base types do not match

[08/16/2012 - 11:44:19PM] VM is freezing...

[08/16/2012 - 11:44:19PM] VM is frozen

[08/16/2012 - 11:44:19PM] Reverting game...

[08/16/2012 - 11:44:19PM] error: Unable to bind script ARTH_OCS_WhiterunGateLockScript to (0501A763) because their base types do not match

Forgotten1337, Follow xlcr's instructions:

'As follows (make a backup of skyrim.ini (My Documents/My Games/Skyrim)):

open skyrim.ini, edit these lines (change the 0 to 1) and save:

[Papyrus]

bEnableLogging=1

bEnableTrace=1

bLoadDebugInformation=1

launch the game, exit.

check folder 'My Documents/My Games/Skyrim/Logs/Script', you should see 'Papyrus.0.log'.

at the end of that log you should see the last process listed that failed.

(remember to restore your skyrim.ini).'