Game crashes when starting the institutional test at X-8 research cent

Nicasen

Hey all I'm stuck at a part in OWB where I have to upgrade the sonic emitter and I was wondering if someone could help me out. During the X-8 Data Retrievable, I can finish the first basic test just fine as well as the Residential test. However, when I go back to the terminal to start the 2nd advanced institutional test my game always crashes after exiting the terminal. This also happens if I try to replay the basic test as well.

I do have a few mods on, but I don't think that's the problem because someone was having the same problem on the PS3 version ([1] link).

If anyone knows how to fix the problem that's causing the crash or how to skip over the mission without messing up the rest of my game I'd really appreciate a hand.

Well I managed to fix the issue with a lot of use of the console. The problem appears to be with the door rather than the terminal, quest, or instituional test cell. If I started the institutional test and then the residential test, I could exit of the terminal just fine. I also loaded up the instituional test in the terminal, teleported to the central facility, and then walked back to the testing facility and there was an extremely loud noise playing non stop. What happened was the door loading noise was playing several times per second which leads me to believe that replacing the residential door with the instituional door causes the problem.

As for the fix in case anyone else gets this bug:

1) Go to the terminal and start the instituional quest, but do not exit the terminal. You should complete the "Initiate the test" quest marker at this point.

2) Teleport to the central facility (where you exit from the test originally); use "player.moveto 0x000e247" without the quotes and replace x with the OWB load order

3) You should be at the instituional test exit. Look at the locked door, click it, and type "unlock" and enter

4) Walk to where you should have started the test without the glitch (the main school lobby area). Once you get there and are close to the starting door the "Start the test" objective should now be complete and Borous's tape should play over the intercom.

5) Go to the Sonic Emitter terminal, unlock the console using the console command and download the emitter upgrade

6) Now play as if you were repeating the basic test. Find the 3 regular terminals and download the info for them (You will have to unlock them using the console command again). After hitting all 3 terminals you should complete the "Finish the test" objective. Exit the area as you normally would.

7) TURN OFF YOUR SPEAKERS, the glitch will cause a deafeningly loud noise. Go back to the main building to the terminal where you start the instituional / residential test and load the residential test back up. If you don't do this before leaving the area altogether your game will crash anytime you try to reenter X-8.

It's a bit of work but any other methods I tried through the console didn't work. This fix also works for repeating the process with the unusual specimens once you get the kennel key as well and you can finish the quest entirely without messing up anything else in the game.

Edited by Nicasen

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

"use "player.moveto 0x000e247" without the quotes and replace x with the OWB load order" Okay my load order for OWB is 07. I type in playe.moveto 007000e247 and it doesn't work. I type player.moveto07000e247. Nada. I type in player.moveto 07e247. NOTHING! I do the same cycle with movetoqt. Nothing works! HELP ME!

Edited by IncensedNightmare

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

**fixed** ( maybe? )

2021 Update, After what I would consider to be extensive troubleshooting by looking at scripts in the G.E.C.K. and using save cleaner programs coming up empty handed, this bug is save dependent in the sense that I was able to load an earlier save and a clean new save and activate the advanced test without crash, yet still replicate the crash on the save file that I discovered this bug on in the same game session. Loading an earlier save or entering the advanced tests on a fresh save was able to fix the bug for me at the cost that the save I encountered the bug on being unsalvageable until a proper fix is found.

TL;DR : A new or earlier save fixes this bug as the crash only happens on certain saves.