[WIPz] Build Your Own Faction

Korodic

Wanted to finally make this WIP public. Build Your Own Faction (BYOF) is a mod that will allow you to create and customize a faction to your liking in its entirety, without leaving the game. I'm in the process of finalizing the customization features, adding other robots (protectrons are finished), and integration with Sim Settlements Conqueror. Conqueror will allow you to control faction recruitment and territory, while BYOF will allow you to recruit members based on their model (robots) or race/sex. You can set outfits and even allow for variation. For robots, you will be able to do the same for their different mods. Since you are manually providing the equipment used by your faction, this allows you to give them objects added by other mods with ease.

While there isn't much to write about the mod off the top of my head, it took an incredible amount of work to workaround creation kit limitations and link everything necessary to implement these features.

It is my hope that this can be used to enrich other factions created for Sim Settlements Conqueror or just mods in general for customization, I intend to include the source code with the release.

What kind of faction would you want to build?

EDIT: Protectrons are re-done (found the way variables were declared as forms was no longer necessary/inefficient). Assaultrons are done. Mr. Handys are done. Robobrains and Sentry Bots are done. Eyebots remain.

Wanted to finally make this WIP public

it took an incredible amount of work to workaround creation kit limitations and link everything necessary to implement these features.

Incredible Perseverance, Korodic!

many, many thanks for this.

I am hoping the folks that worked on the AGIXML-to-ESX converter,

will also take a look at this mod.

I digress;

this becomes very awesome when we consider

Elevator Temp-float partial loading cells,

UGRID XTEND,

and New Lands mods.

What kind of faction would you want to build?

that's the beautiful thing!

with new lands, we could make procedural iterative planets as new lands,

and have factions there.

More aliens to encounter, and more places to visit etc.

I will probably start by making the TARDIS Crew a faction.

I will then explore Memory Den Virtual Holodeck partitions <--- this'll be an interesting case-study given its a pivot to a sidegame / pipboy holotape and back...

and Regulators of the Commonwealth,

followed by "League of Extraordinary Mystery-Wastelanders" etc.

Perhaps the Theta-Tan Rad-Ghosts from that Hubbardonian mod, as a 'kludged khaspir'

having a Friendliest Ghost faction might be fun.

-----

If they don't get around to it before hand,

I'd also like to look into it as a "Mesa Verdean " framework,

as well as Better Regionalizations stuff.

A lot of that sounds like it might be a kludge of an extant,

though, this has profound implications for Meta Mod Combinatorics and Stability,

this mod framework Korodic, might resolve some mod conflict issues for particularly complex load orders etc.

Any ballpark on when is this getting released?

I would say 3 months at the latest. I hope to have it done before that date. Couple more features to add in so people can be control freaks.

Wicked idea! It would be cool to have a vault dweller faction, and a comie Chinese faction ^.^

Only thing about doing a commie faction is you'd need to modify NPC's voices to be Chinese if you want that authenticity.

Sounds good! I haven't had much of a reason to update my game as there hasn't been anything I had to have. My own faction? Oh yes, that's something I definitely would like :)

• 1 month later...

Just an update: all robots seem to be good minus eyebots - this should be a quick add. Mr Handys were just awful to work with due to unexpected issues with vanilla functions detailed here: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/7662718-fyi-attachmod-function-not-working-as-intended/

I would like to have an option to select all options for player convenience too. There is currently a select all option for each robot mod that can be slotted as well as a remove all for faster selection in the terminal menu.

Next step is trying to integrate more into Conqueror, I only did a couple of steps to test for a functioning proof of concept.

I would like to add dogs, mutant hounds, and super mutant behemoths as options that will randomly spawn aside their designated handlers.

Would also be interested in having vertibirds as an option, but this would definitely come later.

For those who may look to use this code in their own projects to build robots via script, the way I equip stuff for humanoid NPCs may be more desirable... using other objects to represent robot mods that get attached. Fleshing out the terminals is extremely tedious, but im so far along and used to it I've made macros to speed it up lol.