[LE] Don't right-click objects?

I'm working on my first real mod for myself. It started off small, but it kind of took off and I've now built an entire trading village on the outskirts of Whiterun aka Whiterun Trading Village (LOL!). I'm nearly done with the exterior and a bit of the interiors and I just stumbled on a random Creation Kit Tip (while researching an entirely different issue) that states to NEVER right-click an object as that will cause the object to be edited and create a dirty edit.

Is this true?

In all the tutorials I've watched and forums I've read this was never mentioned as a bad thing. I've seen modders do this very thing to copy an object (like a fence) or to find out what the objects ID is and create a static. If you literally move an object it shows as edited so now I'm confused and concerned. Am I screwed? Do I need to start over?

Note* I did not delete anything, I disabled and moved unwanted objects underground. And I have not duplicated anything, just copied. And of course I've looked up IDs to create my own statics.

Some screenshots if you're interested:

20190427230519_1_zpsirtt6nen.jpg

20190427230549_1_zpsx1vhouza.jpg

20190427230612_1_zpsu9fcqu9i.jpg

20190427230955_1_zps2npjdlbt.jpg

20190427231033_1_zpsvwrga3eo.jpg

20190427231053_1_zps7ovtitki.jpg

Edited by mellypepper

I think that what you read is referring to a small CK bug, this usually happens after a few hours working with setting position - rotation and adding meshes to the cell.

The bug - glitch is that when you right click a mesh and if you have Snap to grid & Snap to angle turned on the mesh will change its rotation - angle from a few degrees (hardly noticeable) to a very noticable angle, usually to all of its axes x - y - z.

Still if you have accidentally move a mesh you can return it to its original position with Tes5Edit "clean your esp".

From what i've noticed in the past copyed meshes still shows up in Tes5Edit as dirty edits, the best approach to this if you find yourself in a situation that you need to COPY a vanilla positioned mesh is to: COPY the mesh > PASTE the mesh in your cell > DUPLICATE the COPYED mesh > DELETE the COPYED mesh.

The approach i been using for the situation that i have to see - check vanilla stuff on how something it's done - works, is :

1) SAVE your work before doing this.

2) See - check anything you need without careing if you move - edit it or not.

3) And when you are done EXIT WITHOUT SAVING, also keep a back up of your saved esp in case you accidentally press the save button.

Edited by maxarturo

Slight moves can also take place if you left click click as well. After any session in which you have rummaged around in a vanilla cell always clean with TesVEdit. Don't let dirty edits build up.

Yes, if you are fiddling around in vanilla cells while you're modding your cell, then any little thing that you in the cell will then become a "change" applied to the cell when your mod is active. You'd then have to go to XEdit, open your mod and delete out those references. This can happen quite inadvertently.

Thanks everyone. I run Tes5Edit after every save. I "Remove Identical Master File Records" and then "Undelete and Disable References". Is there something more I should do on-top of that to clean the .esp? On my last pass through it removed 27 records.

I think that what you read is referring to a small CK bug, this usually happens after a few hours working with setting position - rotation and adding meshes to the cell.
The bug - glitch is that when you right click a mesh and if you have Snap to grid & Snap to angle turned on the mesh will change its rotation - angle from a few degrees (hardly noticeable) to a very noticable angle, usually to all of its axes x - y - z.
Still if you have accidentally move a mesh you can return it to its original position with Tes5Edit "clean your esp".
From what i've noticed in the past copyed meshes still shows up in Tes5Edit as dirty edits, the best approach to this if you find yourself in a situation that you need to COPY a vanilla positioned mesh is to: COPY the mesh > PASTE the mesh in your cell > DUPLICATE the COPYED mesh > DELETE the COPYED mesh.
The approach i been using for the situation that i have to see - check vanilla stuff on how something it's done - works, is :
1) SAVE your work before doing this.
2) See - check anything you need without careing if you move - edit it or not.
3) And when you are done EXIT WITHOUT SAVING, also keep a back up of your saved esp in case you accidentally press the save button.

I've definitely noticed objects moving randomly when I right-click them. That's a great idea to check first and not save. I set it so I can have multiple Creation Kits open, so now I have an empty .esp for looking things up that will never be saved on one screen and another that has my active mod.

Thanks everyone. I run Tes5Edit after every save. I "Remove Identical Master File Records" and then "Undelete and Disable References". Is there something more I should do on-top of that to clean the .esp? On my last pass through it removed 27 records.

Yes. You need to look at all your references that are highlighted and go through to see which ones should not be there, such as in a vanilla cell that you'd visited. The referenced cell should be identified so you can easily see the vanilla cells changed and if you did not intend to make the change, then delete it.

If you want to manually remove dirty edits you can download TESVsnip. You can find it on nexusmods.

You simply load up the esp (your mod), and all changes / edits show up, which cell, and the item references, you can right-click and delete the edit. I usually do this as I get a clear overview of what my mod does to the game, which can sometimes be hidden edits that you never notice.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/11405/

Edited by ka1zyGONEcrazy

Yes. You need to look at all your references that are highlighted and go through to see which ones should not be there, such as in a vanilla cell that you'd visited. The referenced cell should be identified so you can easily see the vanilla cells changed and if you did not intend to make the change, then delete it.

So far it's looking all good! Thanks for the tips. Now to conquer the navmesh. Welp!