Custom dagger animations

I'm wondering if it is possible to make custom dagger animations seperate from 1h sword animations. I've used FNIS PCEA2 a lot and I'm well versed in .hkx files. 1h hkx files apply to all 1h weapons in your right hand, that includes swords, maces, axes and daggers. I want to make custom animations SPECIFICALLY for daggers (not dual wield) as I'm planning to play a thief/assassin/ninja character. I want to use a normal 1h weapon (probably katana) for "normal" fights, and then quickly switch to a dagger for sneak kills, assassinations etc. The problem is my 1h animations do not fit well for daggers, especially the idle and walk left/right/forward/backwards animations. Those animations are really cool and I spent a lot of time making them work for swords, but it just doesn't look right on daggers.

Making 1hm things separate for sword, mace, axe, daggers, would require heavy changes in the behavior files. And only few people have tried to do such things on this level.

Although the groundwork is done. In all the different branches of the behavior tree there are separate leaves for the different tpes, but then they are always combined together to one path again. Just like they have planned to do it, but then didn't want to invest more in animations. THere are other examples for this cost saving strategy. For example there are 5 speeds introduced (slow walk to fast run), but animations are only for two.

A simple way is to write a scripted mod that switches between different animations when equipping sword, dagger, ... Like it does when you use the MCM in PCEA2. There is an example script in the FNIS download which I have written to load different animations for a katana. It could easily be enhanced for the different 1hm types. Only the activation has to be done in a (player) alias script, instead of a weapon script.

Making 1hm things separate for sword, mace, axe, daggers, would require heavy changes in the behavior files. And only few people have tried to do such things on this level.

Although the groundwork is done. In all the different branches of the behavior tree there are separate leaves for the different tpes, but then they are always combined together to one path again. Just like they have planned to do it, but then didn't want to invest more in animations. THere are other examples for this cost saving strategy. For example there are 5 speeds introduced (slow walk to fast run), but animations are only for two.

A simple way is to write a scripted mod that switches between different animations when equipping sword, dagger, ... Like it does when you use the MCM in PCEA2. There is an example script in the FNIS download which I have written to load different animations for a katana. It could easily be enhanced for the different 1hm types. Only the activation has to be done in a (player) alias script, instead of a weapon script.

I've never tried making/writing a scripts before. I'll try and see if I figure it out. Also since you're Fore I just want to thank you, your mods have made Skyrim a hell of a lot more enjoyable :)