Heavy Traffic ×

New Mentats that Give Temporary Perks

Hi I am wanting to add some new special Mentats that give you a perk temporarily, say you want to hack that expert terminal over there: just take a box of "Hackers Delight" and presto now you can! So basically the mod will be a set of new chems that add a perk upon usage then remove it after the drug wears off. That's the idea but upon looking into the creation kit there isn't currently an effect that can add or take away a perk. How would I best go about creating this effect? Is there a mod with a similar system I can take a look at? Maybe one of you remarkable individuals knows a script that will do the trick, I would be most apreciative of your assistance.

Edited by Combine99

In XEdit MagicEffect has Perk To Apply field, should have similar in CK. For example, look at Psycho alch and its ExtraDamage25Psycho mgef - this is how perks get applied by mgef, while they're alive. I think, won't be a good idea to force any existing chart perks by this method, try adding a duplicate custom Hacker perk instead with required level - accessible lock level seems to be controlled by SetPlayerGateHacking entry - and here i don't know, whether it's applied forever (unlikely, i think) or dispels when perk is removed, try it to make sure. Also don't know, what ModAutoHackingChance means exactly.

PS. In general, good idea, coz it was cool in F3 to have it INT-dependent and boost by mentats as neccessary, ruined in f4...

Speaking about handy built-in capabilities (which allow to avoid scripts), always wanted to know, what's the secret of proper usage for EquipAbility MGEF field - it never worked for me. Is it functional in F4 still? (just in case, if somebody knows).

Edited by hereami

I took a look at psycho and its magic effect but I don't think there is a magic effect for "setplayergatehacking" or adding a perk so I don't see a way of tying a perk to a magic effect other than a script and I don't really understand scripting.

Edited by Combine99

Probably best to use a script, as it will need to check the current perk level and act accordingly... Otherwise you have a person be at max lvl perk, you use the chem, and it does not add a perk as you are max, but it will remove it at the end...

I took a look at psycho and its magic effect but I don't think there is a magic effect for "setplayergatehacking" or adding a perk so I don't see a way of tying a perk to a magic effect other than a script and I don't really understand scripting.

MagicEffects have "Perk To Apply" field, and perk is removed after mgef expires. "Set Player Gate Hacking" is one of perk entries (can't miss it, if interested in dealing with Hacker). MagicEffect or custom perk can be conditioned on current Hacker perk rank. Even the whole Hacker perk can be reconfigured to make terminal hacking act similar to f3 and use regular mentats to boost INT. Scripts knowledge can't hurt, but they're just not neccessary in this case.