How to remove creatures from a mod?

flumpergump

Alright, so I've got the mutant mod/Monster mod downloaded. I did this because it had wanamingos, classic eyebots, floaters, and what is essentially a prediction of the assaultron. I wanted to see these enemies in game because I wanted to add to the "Classic Fallout" feel the game was going for, but all I've seen so far are lots of enemies that are either OP (Deathclaw damage for common enemies with nail boards that do half the damage of a missile launcher) or just seem out of place to me personally. (Such as the Khazra) This mod is very well done and I know it seems odd to remove most of the creatures from such a large mod, but the new additions really just aren't for me. Maybe if I were high level in my current save, but it makes starting an absolute chore.

Rambling aside, here's the issue I'm having.

The creatures are integrated into the spawning areas and lists of existing enemy types I think, as I only ever see them in areas where enemies already would spawn in vanilla. I also encountered them many times in areas from other mods, to the point where they completely replaced the vanilla enemies in some instances. I had deleted all references of the creatures, causing the game to crash on startup. When I deleted the corresponding creature's lists, the game works but is highly unstable. Is there any way around this? I just want wanamingos and floaters back.

I would suggest what you want is to create a "compatibility patch" for that mod, which removes the unwanted creatures from the LeveledLists in question. Do not "delete" references as that will (as you discovered) break things. Pulling them from the lists used for the spawn areas will accomplish what you want. You will need your compatibility patch to load (low in the list, with a high mod index number) so it overrides any other mods that might also affect the same lists, and include it in your "Merge Patch" file for record conflict reconciliation. For your own use only, you might be able to get away with just creating an "Override.esp" (manually created with xEdit: Global: 80, Priority: 3) instead. (See the "Merged Plugin Guidelines for Personal Use" wiki article.)

Please see "TIP Adding Items to Actors aka Leveled Lists" and "TIP Level Lists and GetBaseObject versus GetBaseForm" under the "Scripting" section of the wiki "Getting started creating mods using GECK" article for how items are added to lists. You want to remove them instead (e.g. "ListRemoveForm" and "ListRemoveNthForm"), but the fundamentals are the same.

-Dubious-