Wanting new gaming desktop

first off my terminology may not be so correct...retired gearhead here that just uses electrons :)

I currently am playing on an MSI laptop with a Nvidia GEForce GTX 1060 graphics card (computer information on profile) 256 ssd/1 terabyte hard drive/16 gb system memory/6gb video memory/intel i7-7700HQ processor x4.

I went to best buy for my first look at a desktop instead of a laptop today and wanted to just jump in the deep end and buy a faster than greased lightning gaming pc...but the issue is I don't really know what I am looking for...but I sure don't want to wait 3 minutes for FO4 to load any more.

I won't say I want the fastest market available gaming desktop but I don't want to wait on loads any more...I will be upgrading my television also since it will be used as my monitor...currently using 60 inch 4k sony for my laptop...but it is a 60 fps rig so I will probably go to a 144 fps capable 60 inch minimum tv...

If you had some money to burn, what would you buy...

any serious recommendations would be deeply appreciated...

this may be the last gaming rig I will ever buy since I am 3 months shy of 70 years old...

V/R,

pops

If you play bethesda games, you really don't want to go over 60FPS in any event, as the physics starts getting really strange beyond that.

The hardware in your laptop is actually pretty good. Maybe jump to an 8th gen intel i7, and a 1080 GPU.... though those are expensive. As a gear-head, have you considered building your own machine?

thank you for your response...actually I have not thought about building a machine myself...would not even know where to start but I know there is a lot of information available on "how to"...one main reason for wanting to buy one is the warranty...I had to replace my current MSI after three months because one of the cooling fans had a bad bearing and was very noisy...the heat build up is so bad I can hardly touch the laptop right above the cooling fans

I had not thought about Bethesda and 60 fps...good point...and that saves me money since I won't need a new TV.

the computer I looked at yesterday was an ASUS with an 8th gen intel i7 8700K processor, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080, 1 terabyte ssd...on sale for $1800...I play almost exclusively SSE and FO4...sales person told me there is absolutely no wait time for loading....of course he was a "salesman" and that is why I came here looking for advice..

either way, I am 6 weeks from making a decision...target date is 1 July 2019...

again, thank you for your response

pops

That looks like a nice machine. :)

I would be tempted to run a smaller SSD though, as they start getting slower above 500gb.

On Skyrim, my loading screens only last a few seconds, FO4, they tend to be a bit longer, even WITH the load accelerator mod. (uncaps framerate during loading screens.) Still and all, MUCH better than on mechanical drives.

You want at LEAST 8gb of system RAM as well, 16 would be about perfect. (easily upgradable if the machine doesn't already have it.)

I understand the whole 'warranty' thing. :D

• 4 weeks later...

OK...I pulled the trigger after doing some more research and here is what I ordered this morning....

CyberPowerPC - Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 - 16GB (to 64) Memory - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - 4TB Hard Drive + 500GB Solid State Drive - Black

ordered 64gb memory upgrade….

what do you think?

will get it the end of june...

pops

• 3 years later...

I think I read that "your company builds computers" or something like that in one of your post this week...

(you can see what I am running above)

In your opinion, have the advancements in PC gaming with the updated/new graphics cards gone far enough to warrant me getting a new machine? ... referecing the RTX3090Ti cards GPUs and the 19-12700 CPUs

I was thinking about trying to upgrade my RTX2080ti to a 3080 or 3090 series but the information says the new GPUs wont fit in my chassis...so getting a whole new pc would be required...

Basic question is .... would I see performance improvement worth the bucks I had to spend on a new computer...

hope you understand what I am asking...

V/R,

pops

The performance jump from the 20 series cards, to the 30 series, was pretty profound. I went from a 1060 to a 3070 and more than tripled my performance.....

That said, if your current machine is running your games at an acceptable level of performance, no real point in upgrading just yet. I would consider waiting until the next gen games start hitting store shelves, and see how it goes. :)