Evil Character ONLY Quests?

Ganit

Yes, the sacrifices to Boethia have to be followers because you have to go into command mode and order them to use an object. You can't do that with just anybody.

There's a mod that I think is called "CM Boethia Sacrifice" that puts a disposable follower into the game at the approach to Boethia's shrine. If you really want to do this quest and don't want to sacrifice a good follower you might try that mod.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About Boethia...I've been on the lookout for a dirtbag to sacrifice...someone that won't be missed. Any ideas?

There's Sven or Faendel from Riverwood. No matter which of them you approach they'll both ask you to do the exact same scumbag thing, giving Camilla a fake letter from the other in an effort to bring an end to the love triangle. During the Companions questline you can also get a radiant-quest to beat down whichever one of them you did side with initially even though both of them are capable of fighting they won't confront each other or Camilla Valerius about the situation and prefer to act against each other with mercenaries.

Without doing any particularly evil quests to get the follower, the only other possible option I can think of is the Dunmer assassin Jenassa from the Winking Skeever in Whiterun.

Without doing any particularly evil quests to get the follower, the only other possible option I can think of is the Dunmer assassin Jenassa from the Winking Skeever in Whiterun.

I used Jenassa too, and btw, she's in the Drunken Huntsman.

Also, I can't believe everyone forgot about the House of Horrors with Molag Bol! You go into a house to try and clean out some Daedra worshippers with a Vigilant of Stendarr, but then you have to kill him! Next, Molag Bol makes you go to a random dungeon to rescue a priest, who later goes back to said Horrendous House, and you have to bludgeon him to death, resurrect him, then kill him again!

Two moral ambiguity quests, that may be not doable depending on how good you mean by good:

- Helping the Grey-Manes find their son in Whiterun

- Getting Frost for the Lachance guy in Riften

Both seem like the right thing to do, but neither can be done without stealing/burglary.

You don't have to steal anything for the Missing in Action quest (the one where you help out the Grey-Manes). If you butter up the Battle-Borns you can take just about anything from their house. While a few items will still flag as "stolen", the report you need to get won't be, and you can pick the lock to that room right in front of Idolaf (who may well be sitting right by the door) without any repercussions at all. You can do this in one of two ways. First of all you can help out Lars (the boy) with his little problem with Braith (the girl who is bullying him). Secondly, you can answer Idolaf's question "Grey-Mane or Battle-Born", with "Battle-Born", which will make him your instant, life-long friend. Either of these will raise the Battle-Born's disposition to the Dragonborn high enough to have free access to their home and most everything within it.

As for stealing Frost, this doesn't count as a theft within the game. You get no bounty for it. From a purely moral point of view, though, it is stealing, although I can justify this because I think Maven Black-Briar, who is technically Frost's owner, is one of the most corrupt individuals in the game. I'd have no compunction at all with stealing her blind and throwing her to local bandits, naked and bound. She's that contemptible. Even when I'm playing the Thieves Guild quest-line I don't like her.

Edit: OK, I have to retract some of what I wrote, above. I just did the quest where you have to steal Frost (Broken Promises) and everything in the building is flagged as owned, except for the deed. The deed is the only thing you can take without it counting as stealing. In addition, taking Frost counts as a stolen horse, although you don't get a bounty for it. The first time I did this was a long time ago, playing on a friend's computer, and he had a custom mod installed that cleared ownership of everything in the building and ownership of Frost once all the mercenaries were dead. Sorry for any confusion that may have caused. Frost's ownership, by the way, transfers to the player only if Louis gives you the horse or if you kill him, so every time you get off him and then remount until that time it will tally up another stolen horse, even though it's the same one. Odd, that.

Edited by Moraevik

You don't have to steal anything for the Missing in Action quest (the one where you help out the Grey-Manes). If you butter up the Battle-Borns you can take just about anything from their house. While a few items will still flag as "stolen", the report you need to get won't be, and you can pick the lock to that room right in front of Idolaf (who may well be sitting right by the door) without any repercussions at all. You can do this in one of two ways. First of all you can help out Lars (the boy) with his little problem with Braith (the girl who is bullying him). Secondly, you can answer Idolaf's question "Grey-Mane or Battle-Born", with "Battle-Born", which will make him your instant, life-long friend. Either of these will raise the Battle-Born's disposition to the Dragonborn high enough to have free access to their home and most everything within it.

Even if there are no repercussions, I'd still count picking a lock in someone's home (after convincing them that you're their friend) in order to take away something to help their sworn enemies as "not the kind of thing a good character would do".

It might make the game-engine treat you as not a thief, but personally from an RP perspective I would find that approach worse morally than just breaking in and stealing it.

If you RP to the hilt in this game you'll run into a lot of little things that the devs failed to take into consideration and will find some otherwise innocent tasks to be un-doable. Do you ever wonder why the proprietor of the Drunken Huntsman NEVER sleeps? Think about that and then ask yourself, as a rabid roleplayer of a goody-two-shoes character, whether or not you really want to deal with him. See what I mean? Sometimes you, as the player of your character, must make decisions that are not in-character because the game simply forces you to do so. In this particular case, the developer who created this quest should have thought to unlock that door once you're friends with the Battle-Borns. He didn't, so we have to live with the fact that Bethesda doesn't expect you to play a "good person" in this game, that Skyrim is clearly aimed at the neutral to evil side of the Good-Evil alignment range, and do the best you can role-playing in spite of it.

This is probably the main thing I hate about Skyrim.. You're forced to do "The Greater Good" all the time, or that would be the ultimate motive. So much for "Immersion and multiple ways to complete the story"

With any luck, the next expansion or DLC content for the game will possess that.

(Javalin): I have to disagree about the "greater good".

What's so good about the game forcing you into the Thieves Guild quest-line? You can't escape it if you go to the market circle in Riften because Brynjolf will shove his spiel down your throat and it will remain in your journal forever even if you decide to never listen to his plan.

What's so good about the game forcing you into the Dark Brotherhood quest-line and not making it obvious that there's a way to back out of it -- AND forcing you to murder an innocent (even if rather despicable) person to do even that?

What's so good about the game suckering you into helping the Vigilant of Stendarr in Markarth, only to have to murder him in order to get out of the Abandoned House just so you can continue playing the game?

What's the "Greater Good" about the way that Delphine railroads the Dragonborn and shepherds him into doing HER stuff, namely fulfilling her own private agenda against the Thalmor, and then demanding that the Dragonborn kill Paarthurnax, who has probably done more good for Skyrim, and Tamriel, than she and Esbern ever did?

No, Skyrim isn't about "Greater Good". In fact this little thing is consistently overlooked and the player is constanly encouraged to do less-than-moral things, almost at every turn. I'm not complaing about that, really. In real life people take advantage of people. However, the game needs to make it more obvious that we're being manipulated, and then give us a way to tell the manipulators to go suck a rock and get out of our lives -- forever.

Until I found mods that disable the "railroading", as it's been described here on Nexus, for the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood I took extraordinary measures not to get forced into joining them, I'd just disable Brynjolf's AI whenever I entered Riften. I went out of my way to avoid "rumors" spread by inn keepers, which meant I could never hear the good ones, because until you get the one to go visit the kid in Windhelm you won't hear any of them. Heck, I even to this day go to great pains to avoid Imperial and Stormcloak soldiers to avoid getting the Civil War quest stuck in my journal. The Civil War is clearly not for the Greater Good, anyway. Unfortunately, I generally play my character as a near-saint, morally speaking, so it pains me to have to go such measures to avoid getting sucked into evil situations.

Even if there are no repercussions, I'd still count picking a lock in someone's home (after convincing them that you're their friend) in order to take away something to help their sworn enemies as "not the kind of thing a good character would do".

It might make the game-engine treat you as not a thief, but personally from an RP perspective I would find that approach worse morally than just breaking in and stealing it.

If your speech is high enough, you don't have to break in and steal anything from the Battle-Born home....With high Speech if you speak with the Battle-Born brother in the Imperial uniform you can persuade him to give you the information you need.....I usually leave this mission until fairly late in the game because of this and just persuade him.