Two-handed Movement Speed

wyrda78

This is a very simply mod idea that in my opinion is really essential to making 2 handed weapons viable and fun.

The central problem is that unlike with one-handed weapons, when you swing with a 2-handed weapon, your movement speed decreases to like 50% for the whole swing and recovery duration. Compounded with slower weapon speed, this makes two-handed weapons very clunky and nonviable in combat. Because your movement speed is slower, you can't dodge attacks effectively, so the combat turns into spamming at enemies and hoping you out-damage them. Combat isn't dynamic, unlike one handers, where you can dart in and out of the enemies range, use an effective block, and combat is a lot more fun. But if you can't use your inputs to determine how the fight goes, i.e. it's based on stats and not skill, it makes fights very boring. I've discovered this trying to play a 2-handed character on Legendary. Combat is bland.

If someone could implement this, I would be quite grateful. It would mean that you could take advantage of two-handers' superior reach and damage (with a slight DPS mod) to make a really effective barbarian-type character.

Edited by wyrda78

The two handed are supposed to be slow since the weapons are heavier but.. if the mod was made with some perks and or stamina based scripting could be very cool and still fair, how I mean that ? the more stamina you have.. the lighter gets the swings, at the point of a 200 stamina giving the player character double speed (match the one handed speed) this stamina based would be perfect I think, there is a summon weapons mod that already does damage based on player character's magic so maybe using a similar method to it but script to also increase the speed. My current character is a two handed warrior and for me it's ok (master setting) but for legendary it would really come in hand ! anyway.. until 200 stamina or more.. being able to have

50% increase of speed and after that cap.. maybe a little bonus to damage, nothing fancy.. maybe 5 points for each level up given to stamina. (not necessary.. just an option)

Also I'd add this: Be able to use the left side of the block perks with two handed weapons ! but I believe that would be quite complicated to do.. move faster while blocking.. charge enemies while blocking to throw then in the ground.. just the block arrows and the elemental protection that wouldn't make sense.

With some settings like this.. I would like to make a new playthrough in legendary too.

Just in case you don't know, there is the Maphala's blade that is a two handed sword that has the speed of a one handed, I wanted a mod that allowed be to smith it and make it better.. But I found though a mod that makes it slower ! like a regular two handed sword.. funny in the context of this request :D

Anyway.. best of luck man (I'm also waiting for it for my requests)

Update

Have you checked this mod ? maybe it will help while you don't have what you are looking for.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/11159

in case of link problens.. mod's name is Two-handed rebalance. This, plus that shout that speeds the attacks.. will sure make a decent two handed slayer.

Edited by TheGabriel1994

Hey TheGabriel1994.

To be clear, I'm not talking about the swing speed of the weapon, I am talking about movements speed while swinging. I tried the mod in question, and with the nerfed version (20% increase in attack speed) and necromage vampire it made my character swing fast. Way too fast. But it didn't solve the problem of being bogged down while swinging.

I am okay with two handed weapons being slower than one handed weapons. I am not okay with being rooted in place when I swing, which makes it essentially impossible to avoid damage when you commit to an attack.