I been recreating level 0, 1 and 2 lods for Boston natural Surroundings. I made some less bright textures as well as using different pine textures. I also made LOD meshes that worked better using two flat triShapes for custom trees. But this means having a front and side texture for each LOD mesh, instead of having the two textures in one DDS.

I am aware I could make the front and side texture onto one dds and use UV map in nifskope to correctly line everything up. but, damn, took me a long time to create the Flat LODs I have. I really don't want to redo them.

I used this method in this mod and it worked ok, https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/36976

My question is, Can I use this method for the rest of BNS's custom trees to create the flat lods? it seems like the easiest way. I attempted to use a vanilla ElmForestLod mesh with billboards of the new elm forest trees but it is too small an cuts off the sides. I attempted to edit the to top 4 verticies to give it a cone shape and better accommodate the wider texture, but things just got warped and didn't line up with the original tree mesh when it was pasted into the LOD nif. Using the same method I used in my pine mod I could create an almost perfect Flat LOD mesh.

My worry is that when using FO4LODGEN, will I run out of space if adding too many custom trees and making LODs for them? I think I read the terrain texture that holds all the Flat lods can be separated into two dds textures?

Just for clarity, that means the BTOs LODGen generates will point to a second set of atlas textures if their UVs wouldn't fit on atlas 0?

Edited by payl0ad

• 3 weeks later...

Textures are not atlased when they are larger than Max Tile Size setting or have tiled UVs larger than UV Range setting (vanila LOD meshes have tons of them because Bethesda).

You can try to increase both.

Of course it will afffect performance which depends on hardware and the number of used loose textures.

• 3 weeks later...