Skyrim Creation Kit loading Dawnguard.esm causes crash to desktop

SoulWraith753

Originally I was getting an error complaining about Shared\misc\BGSLocalisedString.cpp and then I would get a crash to desktop. I looked it up and fixed the error by adding the line “SResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Update.bsa, Dawnguard.bsa” under [Archive] in SkyrimEditor.ini

I no longer get the error, but I still get the crash to desktop… whenever I load Dawnguard.esm in the creation kit, it loads to 99% and then I get a crash to desktop, and it’s only doing it to Dawnguard, loading ANYthing else in creation kit works, just not Dawnguard… and yes, Dawnguard is properly installed because I’ve already played through it all and beat it.

I’ve tried searching through these forums and on google and I can’t find anything about a crash to desktop, only errors… can anyone help me out? Is there a way to troubleshoot this?

Here is a screenshot of the crash, note that the reason why I said it's not an error (even though it kinda is) is because I mean it's NOT the error that everyone gets from loading the dawnguard.esm (the Shared\misc\BGSLocalisedString.cpp error), and I can't find anything about this anywheres.. Also, yes I have tried clicking "check online for a solution and close the program", all it does it close and nothing else...

http://www.mystina.ffxivmaps.com/Skyrim/Skyrim%20Creation%20Kit%20Dawnguard%20Crash.png

Edited by SoulWraith753

Try removing everything to do with creation kit (ALL files/folders)

Then follow this exact order:

1.Download and Install Creation Kit *DO NOT RUN IT!*

2.Download and Install "Creation Kit Working Dawnguard" (http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/21741)

3.Go to your skyrim directory (where you find the TESV(.exe) and SkyrimLauncher(.exe) and open the file SkyrimEditor(.ini)

4.Directly underneath the [General] line add the line "bAllowMultipleMasterLoads=1" (Without ")

5.Close and save the SkyrimEditor(.ini) file.

6.Run Creation Kit

7.It should be working now.

Try removing everything to do with creation kit (ALL files/folders)

Then follow this exact order:

1.Download and Install Creation Kit *DO NOT RUN IT!*

2.Download and Install "Creation Kit Working Dawnguard" (http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/21741)

3.Go to your skyrim directory (where you find the TESV(.exe) and SkyrimLauncher(.exe) and open the file SkyrimEditor(.ini)

4.Directly underneath the [General] line add the line "bAllowMultipleMasterLoads=1" (Without ")

5.Close and save the SkyrimEditor(.ini) file.

6.Run Creation Kit

7.It should be working now.

Did everything you said, step by step... still get the same crash =(

hmmm.... defiantly added line "bAllowMultipleMasterLoads=1" (Without ") correctly to the right file??

Yeah, I did everything correctly, still crashing all the time... I'm no noob to this btw, I've done modding back in Morrowind and Oblivion, but for the life of me I can't figure out why the creation kit keeps crashing for Skyrim! ;_;

Edited by SoulWraith753

• 3 months later...

I had the same problem and reading the very first post help me solve it. What I did was add downguard.bsa to every line that had update.bsa in it. There were only two of them.

[Archive]

bInvalidateOlderFiles=1

<Same Line>SArchiveList=Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa, Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Update.bsa, Dawnguard.bsa <--- Add it here </Same Line>

SInvalidationFile=ArchiveInvalidation.txt

iRetainFilenameOffsetTable=1

iRetainFilenameStringTable=1

iRetainDirectoryStringTable=1

bCheckRuntimeCollisions=0

bUseArchives=1

SResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa, Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa

SResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Update.bsa, Dawnguard.bsa <--- Add it here

Thanks!!

Edit:

The changes were made in SkyrimEditor.ini which is located in your skyrim folder.

Edited by anidominus