Vortex installation on a modded game

Bernt

OK - this has probably been asked umpteen times before. Sorry........ But - the latest NMM is causing me trouble importing and installing mods using the mod manager. No good.

So I'd like to ask if I can switch my - heavily modded- games to Vortex and go on from there? And how to go about it safely. I'm not too keen on it - just as I wasn't too keen on going from FOMM to NMM.....

My games are FO4 - at the mod limit. And New Vegas - not quite there.

The Nexusmods staff have emphasized that you not import a current game setup to Vortex. The reason for this is NMM's inability to keep clean installation logs. Also, if you import, you'll lose mod metadata.

Some people have successfully imported; others have not. (I successfully imported both Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE.) However, even if you are successful, there's usually litter from your previous mod manager that needs to be tossed. Furthermore, you'll need to recover mod metadata. A successful import by no means guarantees a quick return to playing your games. There's going to be some work involved.

If you want to use Vortex, then use it with a new game different from your current games. If, however, you want to use Vortex as a manager for your current game setups, I would advise you to do it the old fashioned way - install your mods afresh, tweak everything as best you can, and then load up a save. (If you already have all of your mod archives saved, it's easy to install from that existing folder.)

If you decide to use Vortex in any capacity, then please read the Nexus Vortex Wiki first. There's information there that you'll need.

If you're cautious and follow my advice and that of the Nexusmods staff, then chances are you won't return here in the near future uttering death threats against the Vortex developers and/or questioning their sanity and maturity.

Edited by Augusta Calidia

Thank you very much Augusta. I'll be sure to heed your advice :thumbsup:

Seems as if I've got a bit of reading to do now. And perhaps it is time for a fresh install of FO4 anyway :smile:

Follow Augusta's advice.

There is one great additional caveat. NMM must not have any installed mods when you switch to Vortex. And don't run it on that game again.

If both managers think they control mods - bad things will happen.

Vortex notices game directory changes, and will happily delete the contents of your mods if it finds them deleted in the game directory after install.

Added for your last post.

I am the odd one out, but I pretty much never do a fresh install. All my saves - on all my games - are hundreds of hours in.

If you are careful, and have a good idea of what you are doing, mods are not as hazardous to your save health as many folks indicate.

Have a stable base and use the Vortex Profile ability to try new mods.

Edited by rmm200

Thank you for your input rmm200 :smile:

For the time being I guess I can handle New Vegas using FOMM - which I still use for FO3. I'm going to hate losing all of my construction projects in FO4. But that game is an awful mess anyway so......... :confused: I'll just make sure to keep all of my presets before I uninstall.

Guest deleted34304850

hi bernt, i would 100% agree with rmm about not trying to import a modded game to vortex.

however, if you have a game that you are not playing right now - let's say for example fallout 4 - you could start to learn about vortex by setting up a game and installing a couple of mods, like UFO4P and some other common ones, and seeing how you go. when i moved from nmm to vortex, this is what i did. i had finished a play through and wanted to go from NMM to vortex, and decided to start fresh - no import - just take the mods I had in my NMM download directory - and tell vortex to install them and go from there.

took me - no longer than 1 or 2 hours to make a fully modded fallout 4 because i had all my archives on my disk, so no redownloading.

might be something for you to consider, so that you get a feel for vortex but not have the bad luck to wreck a game you're currently playing.

anyway - whatever you decide - if you hit issues - come to the vortex forums - the help you get here is excellent - quite a few very helpful people, including rmm who always appear when you need them, like the avengers!

@Bernt

FOMM is still a fine mod manager, in my opinion. I used it on Fallout 3 and on Fallout NV, although now I've switched to Vortex. I still use OBMM with Oblivion. For me, Oblivion is not Oblivion without my beloved OBMM. I guess I'm just sentimental.